Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Racing Cars Book

In its heyday I can not recall the GCS ever having telescopic shocks rather than lever type. However I do remember the shrunk on binder twine wrapped springs, as was often used during the thirties when George commenced his motor sport. The origins and design of of the car emanate from, Brooklands, Indianapolis, Western Springs Speedway and number eight wire common sense, all being combined to build a tool/weapon for a brave driver. The GCS was never intended to be driven with constant adhesion in a straight line and I'll bet it is still great fun to drive and may it remain so. LOL

PS. Please, please leave all the exposed working parts unpainted and with only a dark oily make-up. Currently it is blushing red and sad. George should be allowed to RIP.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-21-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    In its heyday I can not recall the GCS ever having telescopic shocks rather than lever type.
    I have a number of period photos of the GeeCeeEss showing telescopic shocks front and rear although it is possible that George tried lever shocks initially - the photos of it immediately following construction are side on and the shock configuration is hidden.

In this shot of the GCS it appears to have telescopic shocks on the back.

Name:  img803_1.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  62.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Yes that's no problem Steve. I'm in the process of getting it back from Don Suckling and I'll then undertake a refurbishment back to 1952 format with Ardun heads on the Flathead.
    Thanks Roger, I really appreciate that. Would you mind sending me an email when you get a chance please: theroaringseason@gmail.com I'm not sure I have your correct email address.

GCS

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    In this shot of the GCS it appears to have telescopic shocks on the back.
    The photo very clearly shows the substantial lap belt the details of which which I remember very well, and in addition the lack of front telescopic shocks. A debate will not go amiss. LOL

P.S. After enlarging the image, careful examination shows that there is a merging of a reflexion and the bottom of the historic number "44". However, as a physical fact I am one eyed and could be wrong.

It was also usual to have only one shackle on the traverse springs free, with the other rendered rigid so as to improve the lateral location of the axles and in theory the choice of end can effect under/oversteer.

Cheers, Trevor.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-22-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks guys. I'd like to feature approx 6-8 NZ built specials in the book. Other than the GeeCeeEss, which would you recommend? Keep in mind I also need to be able to get a good supply of period photos.

The Northland Special must be included.

Name:  Northland Special.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  170.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks guys. I'd like to feature approx 6-8 NZ built specials in the book. Other than the GeeCeeEss, which would you recommend? Keep in mind I also need to be able to get a good supply of period photos.
    Congratulations Steve,

Please stay with and it get in touch regarding economical ways to produce and publish the book. I can give you some good tips.

Strange as it may seem, it should include Gordon Brown's Ford Ten Special. No, not a high performance item, but the forunner and insperation for what became an extremely popular trend, as should be pointed out in relevent descriptive text. A local sports car magazine now many years defunct, carried a very good article on the car some seventy years ago. Put out a signal and try to locate a copy.

Would you believe, as was reported in the magazine, Gordon as a young family man, fitted a makeshift blade to its front end in order to grade the just laid lawn, when a first home owner. Real do it yourself stuff. In those days your new house when purchased, lacked everything in respect of the dirt it was built on, except for a very minimal, legally defining bouindry fence.

Cheers, Trevor.

There is a great write up on the Northland Special on the Northland Car Club’s website written by Brian Skudder.
    If you need his contact details I can give them to you Steve.
    Glad Fred is still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Congratulations Steve,

Please stay with and it get in touch regarding economical ways to produce and publish the book. I can give you some good tips.

Strange as it may seem, it should include Gordon Brown's Ford Ten Special. No, not a high performance item, but the forunner and insperation for what became an extremely popular trend, as should be pointed out in relevent descriptive text. A local sports car magazine now many years defunct, carried a very good article on the car some seventy years ago. Put out a signal and try to locate a copy.

Would you believe, as was reported in the magazine, Gordon as a young family man, fitted a makeshift blade to its front end in order to grade the just laid lawn, when a first home owner. Real do it yourself stuff. In those days your new house when purchased, lacked everything in respect of the dirt it was built on, except for a very minimal, legally defining bouindry fence.

Cheers, Trevor.
    Is this the article Trevor?

Name:  Brown Special 1.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  153.4 KB

Name:  Brown Special 2.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  156.7 KB

Name:  Brown Special 3.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  115.6 KB

[QUOTE=Milan Fistonic;62507]Is this the article Trevor?

Unfortunately no.

However it illustrates very well the economic restrictions confining the design of the car, which of necessity resulted in a very versatile approach. Very. very few cars arrived at a race meeting or speed event on a trailer in those days and no sponsors were in sight. It would not have been the done thing for the car to have been branded with Brown and Nuttall livery.

What is the "cow horn"/ stock car bumper in post #43?

Just an update on this book. Its coming along well, and at this stage there are 15 cars in the book. They include:

McLaren M8A
    Begg FM5
    Leda LT27/McRae GM1
    Graeme Addis Charger
    Jack Nazer Victor
    Peter Bennett Lotus A40
    Ferrari 256
    Paton Ford
    RA Vanguard
    Capri RS2600
    GeeCeeEss Special
    Lycoming Special
    PDL Mustang
    Custaxie
    Rod Coppins T/G Firebird

So far I've written around 60,000 words. I'm trying to focus on cars that are either NZ specials (including single seaters, sports cars, or saloons), or cars with a strong NZ flavour.

What I'm after is photos of any of these cars in period, in particular, Ferrari 256, Lycoming, Paton Ford, RA Vanguard, GeeCeeEss Special. Although The Roaring Season has produced some incredible photo collections which are going to help massively with the book, we don't have a lot from the 1950s.

Most of the chapters are completed in rough form, though still need some corrections made. I've yet to write on the Lycoming, Paton Ford, and Bennett A40. Can anyone tell me who owns the Lycoming currently?

I may also include the Ian Algia Alfetta if I have enough space and time. I've been in touch with the cars current owner who has extended an invite to visit him and go through Ian's old scrapbooks etc.

Just a couple more questions for those in the know. Was the Pat Hoare Ferrari a 246 or 256? Its my understanding its a 1960 car, at which time Ferrari had 2.5 litre V6 Dino engines. They had 2.4 engines in 1958 (hence 246), and went to 2.5 engines in 1959/60. But the car is regularly referred to as a 246, including by its current owner.

Also, what was the fate of McRae GM1 chassis 001? This is the car McRae raced in the 1971/72 Tasman Series, raced in the US in 1972, then sold to Dexter Dunlop. Some sources say it was destroyed in a trailer fire in 1974 following the Teretonga Tasman round. Others say it was repaired after the fire, but got 'lost' returning to NZ from the Australian Tasman races.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

no Baker Brother's Herons steve?

Quote Originally Posted by 928 View Post
    no Baker Brother's Herons steve?
    Its hard to know where to start and stop. The book is only going to be approx 200 pages, which means only around 15 chapters with a good amount of text and photos. I didn't want to do a lot of chapters on a lot of cars with a brief description of each, as Graham Vercoe already did that with his book back in the late 1980s.

There are literally hundreds of cars that are worthy of conclusion, so it makes the decision difficult.

Steve, Hoares Ferrari (ex Phill Hill Italian GP winning car chassis no 0007/ F0788) was originally a 256 according to Mr Nye prior the fitting of Testa Rossa motor and other mods. I may be wrong.

And The Hoare Ferrari.Name:  Pat HOARE 003 (Small).JPG
Views: 548
Size:  156.0 KB
    Last edited by chaindrive; 05-05-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Steve,
    fair enough. you are correct about vercoe's book. thanks for the reply

Ralph Smith is the current custodian of the Lycoming - the last time I saw it was in the Wanaka Wings and Wheels Museum.

World Champion
    Steve,
    This information on Pat Hoare's Ferrari was on the back of this SHELL card.
    It must be correct because it has Pat's signature on it !
    Name:  Ferrari%201960_Information.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  120.1 KB

(Ken H)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Ralph Smith is the current custodian of the Lycoming - the last time I saw it was in the Wanaka Wings and Wheels Museum.
    There was a very good and detailed article on the Lycoming Special in the July 2011 edition of the American mag "Vintage Racecar". It included a track test. The article was by Aussie Patrick Quinn.

It was noted that Jim Clark and Bruce McLaren had both driven the car, the latter in a race.

The car has been owned since 1983 by Ralph Smith, as Michael notes.

The car was originally built by Ralph Watson. A book on him titled "Ralph Watson : Special Engineer" was written in 2005 by T.R. Sheffield.