Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Historic Racing Cars Book

Are you intending to go back to some of the successful NZ built specials of the 50s - likes of Lycoming Special, Stanton Special, GeeCeeEss etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks so much everyone who has posted. This is really great stuff, and interesting to get peoples opinions.

Before creating this thread I had created a small list of cars. They include:

Begg FM5 (Oxton)
    Capri RS2600 (Fahey)
    Ferrari 256 (Hoare)
    Ferrari LM (Buchanan)
    Maserati 250F (Amon)
    McLaren M8A
    Custaxie

I wasn't sure if I should include the McLaren, as it didn't actually race in NZ. This isn't a requirement for the book that the cars raced in NZ. What do you folks think? Should it have NZ racing history?
    My tuppence worth is NZ domiciled, there were/are so many interesting cars here - you can read about a M8A in many different books unless you have something new and ground breaking on it.
    cheers

Tonttu

I agree, no other writer would do a book on NZ cars except an NZer.

Lycoming, Stanton with Ferrari and the Gee Cee Ess 1984

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Are you intending to go back to some of the successful NZ built specials of the 50s - likes of Lycoming Special, Stanton Special, GeeCeeEss etc?
    Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 Lycoming Ralph Smith CCI09102015_0004 (800x543).jpg
Views: 897
Size:  132.1 KB

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 # 49 Ferrari & Stanton Cropduster CCI12112015_0003 (800x529).jpg
Views: 922
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  Dunedin Festival #42 The Gee Cee Ess, in the pit area CCI11112015 (800x540).jpg
Views: 899
Size:  168.2 KB

There they are, photos of mine from Dunedin in 1984 .. have a better photo of the Cropduster.

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #61 Stanton Cropduster CCI24112015_0006 (800x541).jpg
Views: 912
Size:  124.7 KB

Thanks again everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

Hi Roger, yes I am most definitely intending to including NZ specials. They form the backbone of NZ racing history and are the ultimate definition of the term 'Kiwi ingenuity'.

Hi Roger, do you still own the GeeCeeEss?

Good call Steve. If I can assist with any photos, I will, but as I only came to NZ beginning of 1983, photos will of course be later.

I think Roger owns the Herrick A40 Special. Wasn't aware he has/had the GeeCeeEss - but keeping up with some people is nigh impossible!

Thanks Ray, I'd like to include a couple of Sports Sedans in the book. Am thinking possibly the Ian Munt Alfetta and Graeme Addis Charger. By the 1980s, Sports Sedans were really the modern version of the 1950s New Zealand special, where creativity wasn't stifled by regulations, and these two were amongst the most creative.

Thanks Ray, I'd like to include a couple of Sports Sedans in the book. Am thinking possibly the Ian Munt Alfetta and Graeme Addis Charger. By the 1980s, Sports Sedans were really the modern version of the 1950s New Zealand special, where creativity wasn't stifled by regulations, and these two were amongst the most creative.
    Steve, Graeme Addis, posts quite a lot on Facebook on various Motorsport forums,has has put up a few photos of his Charger,you could connect with him through Facebook if you haven't already .. cheers Roger D

Would love to see some pix of this Ian Munt Alfetta...could someone post some please as i seem to missed it in my travels

Sorry, that should read Ian Algie. Blame sleep deprivation.

At least I have a few of that car - and the Addis Charger from the early '80's! and more recently.

Steve, I had a minor involvement in the Algie Alfa. Let me know if there is anything I might be able to assist with - probably not personally but I might know people who can answer any questions.

Yes - I've owned the GeeCeeEss for the last 10 years although Don Suckling has driven it.

Thanks Roger. You learn something new every day!

Hi Roger, many thanks. Would you mind if we featured the GeeCeeEss in the book?

Hi Roger, many thanks. Would you mind if we featured the GeeCeeEss in the book?
    Yes that's no problem Steve. I'm in the process of getting it back from Don Suckling and I'll then undertake a refurbishment back to 1952 format with Ardun heads on the Flathead.

Yes that's no problem Steve. I'm in the process of getting it back from Don Suckling and I'll then undertake a refurbishment back to 1952 format with Ardun heads on the Flathead.
    The GCS is a very important treasure in respect of Kiwi motor sport and personifies all of that was the grass routs of an important era. The car and its creator deserve a full chapter in any book.

But it is important that he GCS is not beautified to a degree that will conceal its down to earth nature, so illustrative of the Kiwi attitude. It was created crude as a result of necessity but wa/is a model of absolute basic common sense and as a result was certainly effective. The car had/has presence.

When I last was close to it, I pointed out a missing essential and very important accessory, i.e. a length of binder wire permanently attached to the dash support, used to positively hold the lever in second gear no matter what. As soon as second gear was engaged during a hillclimb, a twitch around the gear lever prevented any possibility of lost engagement, as was a common ongoing problem which could be fixed but not reliably trusted.

Furthermore the plug leads were not tied onto the plugs with string, as was George’s well proven time honoured practice. And I don't think the single substantial webbing ex WW2 aircraft lap belt was in use or the spring leaves bound with rope in order to dampen movement. George in spirit was somehow sadly absent.

George Smith, in spite of usually appearing in oil stained overalls, was a gentleman and a true sportsman, as well as a down-to-earth dedicated engineer. Ralph Watson understood his motives and held him in high regard as a man of real purpose, and strange as it may seem, they had a lot in common and a quietly undisclosed mutual admiration.

I have fond youthful memories of an occasion leaving the Orange dance hall at night to encounter George, backing out from his small workshop in his just acquired glistening Allard J2. Envy was writhing inside of me. However the Allard with its split front axle proved to be a disappointing treacherous beast and did not successfully supersede the faithful old GCS, which did not mislead the driver when right on the limit and could be over driven accordingly. The Allard was not and never became George’s kind of weapon.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 11-20-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Trevor - the GeeCeeEss will be refurbished NOT restored. It was a great car and when running properly it was virtually unbeatable in the early 1950s. I am determined to keep it in the format that George ran it - it was never a Beauty Queen but most of the time it ran pretty well and George was always playing with different engine (and cooling) configurations and not too fussed about how it looked. It will certainly not end up looking better than it was. I know where the original Ardun heads are but they are not available so I am getting some out of the US.
    Although the car is remarkedly original, I'm keen to get as many photos of it in the 1951-1953 period so that I can ensure that all the little bits and pieces are correct - for example the dashboard. While I have a number of photos any photos would be appreciated.

Originality before my time in NZ of course, but just in case anyone is wondering, a pic from 2010.

Name:  210_1114_37.JPG
Views: 677
Size:  137.2 KB