Thread: SCANZ and 2 Litre NZ Sports Racing Cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi all - I located this thread after Googling my Uncle Colin (Smith), who I always knew had a background with racing, but then only recently found out was the 1976 NZ Champion here. (queue: "WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED" discussion with my family...)

After discovering the photos in this thread it inspired me to dig through some family archives to see what we had. I located a handful of photos, and slides. I'll post the scanned photos here, the slides are getting converted to digital (not cheap!) and I'll post those here again when they arrive.

Hope you like these photos.

Colin in Rhubarb 3?:
    Rhubarb 1 (I think) on a trailer:
    Colin taking a... novel line:

One last personal one (and not technically car related), but Colin's influences my love of motor sport to this day, and I think this is where it might have started: Yours truly, a long time ago (I was born in '73):

I have 5 slide digitals I'll post later this week, which are in colour.

warm regards,

Paul Smith

Smith & Rimmer

Quote Originally Posted by tallpsmith View Post
    Hi all - I located this thread after Googling my Uncle Colin (Smith), who I always knew had a background with racing, but then only recently found out was the 1976 NZ Champion here. (queue: "WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED" discussion with my family...)

After discovering the photos in this thread it inspired me to dig through some family archives to see what we had. I located a handful of photos, and slides. I'll post the scanned photos here, the slides are getting converted to digital (not cheap!) and I'll post those here again when they arrive.

Hope you like these photos.

Colin in Rhubarb 3?:
    Rhubarb 1 (I think) on a trailer:
    Colin taking a... novel line:

One last personal one (and not technically car related), but Colin's influences my love of motor sport to this day, and I think this is where it might have started: Yours truly, a long time ago (I was born in '73):

I have 5 slide digitals I'll post later this week, which are in colour.

warm regards,

Paul Smith
    Paul .. Your Uncle & his friend Mr Rimmer are very talented men , not only as car driver [drivers] but race car builders when they worked & lived in England. later returning ,.... & built these cars ....I meet Colin when he ran Whitcoulls in Tauranga A Rimmer built the Rimmer carts in Tauranga , Regards Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Paul .. Your Uncle & his friend Mr Rimmer are very talented men

And cousins...

Hi Paul, just a bit of nostalgia for you, I have the Rhubarb 1 car.It still exists.