Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: SCANZ and 2 Litre NZ Sports Racing Cars

Hi GD66 I think that is me on pole .
    Jamie A

Hi GD66 I think that is me on Pole
    Jamie A

You're everywhere, son ! That must have been the weekend of your much-mentioned 50th birthday celebrations...

Both you and Bob H appear transfixed by that bloke's natty trousers...

I think you right they are a bit loud ant they
    Jamie A

Hi Eugene good to see you pop up in print I see you live in Ausi now. Are you still racing
    Jamie A

Weekend Warrior

photo ID

[QUOTE=Lindsay G;37594]these would have been taken the same day and I think no 64 also belonged to Dave Lester.

Regarding The #33 U2 sports car on page # 9 that Lyndsay G has added a photo of ,
    Des Joyce, Built & drove this car The "NEFO" [Netherby Ford] .
    Des Owned & Ran Netherby garage in Ashburton, 1960s-70s, this car & others he built & ran
    including some fast Anglia saloons were always fast.
    This sports car, 1760 + cc & was Always immaculate , Black with orange stripes & detailing. ran in many of the SCANZ Rounds along with sprints & hillclimbs throughout the South island and was an excellent contender.
    the car was sold after a few years & was last seen at a few NI hillclimbs & apparently is still about somewhere.
    Des is vey much retired these days & Lives back in his hometown of Waimate.
    Last edited by Rascal; 08-15-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Weekend Warrior

Another Des Joyce car from earlier years

Name:  PC131740.JPG
Views: 1562
Size:  157.5 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]25684
    Around 1969-72, Des Joyce built & ran this nice lotus - U2 type with a Ford 1340cc pushrod, It was a chassis that had been started by another guy, but was never completed and Des took on the task, like his later cars it was always immaculate, fast and reliable.
    David saunders , who worked for des at the time ,later owned the car and wrecked it in race somewhere up north. the whereabouts of the cars remains are not known.
    Last edited by Rascal; 08-29-2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: photo edited

Hi gang that is a blast from the past have not herd of Des for along time.
    Jamie

Rascal, I think that is more a U2 than a seven.

Hi all - I located this thread after Googling my Uncle Colin (Smith), who I always knew had a background with racing, but then only recently found out was the 1976 NZ Champion here. (queue: "WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED" discussion with my family...)

After discovering the photos in this thread it inspired me to dig through some family archives to see what we had. I located a handful of photos, and slides. I'll post the scanned photos here, the slides are getting converted to digital (not cheap!) and I'll post those here again when they arrive.

Hope you like these photos.

Colin in Rhubarb 3?:
    Rhubarb 1 (I think) on a trailer:
    Colin taking a... novel line:

One last personal one (and not technically car related), but Colin's influences my love of motor sport to this day, and I think this is where it might have started: Yours truly, a long time ago (I was born in '73):

I have 5 slide digitals I'll post later this week, which are in colour.

warm regards,

Paul Smith

Smith & Rimmer

Quote Originally Posted by tallpsmith View Post
    Hi all - I located this thread after Googling my Uncle Colin (Smith), who I always knew had a background with racing, but then only recently found out was the 1976 NZ Champion here. (queue: "WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED" discussion with my family...)

After discovering the photos in this thread it inspired me to dig through some family archives to see what we had. I located a handful of photos, and slides. I'll post the scanned photos here, the slides are getting converted to digital (not cheap!) and I'll post those here again when they arrive.

Hope you like these photos.

Colin in Rhubarb 3?:
    Rhubarb 1 (I think) on a trailer:
    Colin taking a... novel line:

One last personal one (and not technically car related), but Colin's influences my love of motor sport to this day, and I think this is where it might have started: Yours truly, a long time ago (I was born in '73):

I have 5 slide digitals I'll post later this week, which are in colour.

warm regards,

Paul Smith
    Paul .. Your Uncle & his friend Mr Rimmer are very talented men , not only as car driver [drivers] but race car builders when they worked & lived in England. later returning ,.... & built these cars ....I meet Colin when he ran Whitcoulls in Tauranga A Rimmer built the Rimmer carts in Tauranga , Regards Grant

Ha Ha Colin you have found out. Grant, Colin trying to be a secret Squirrel.
    Tallpsmith Paul, yes Your Unc Colin was a very Accomplished driver and Sports car designer. He and Adrian and Rodger Rimmer went to England after building 5 sports cars and 1 Single seater in NZ and worked for Tiger with great success.
    Jamie

Secretive bunch...Paul it's all true, Colin was an accomplished steerer but is also a card-carrying clever-clogs, Adrian among all his other accomplishments is still knocking up Blokart chassis to this day I think, and there are more than 13,000 of them around the world. I was at school in the same years as Robin Rimmer, and indeed Linda Smith so we were sort of able to keep an eye on the Rhubarbs from day 1. There's a lot to be said for working a good power/weight ratio even on a minimalist budget, and I'm sure the success of the early Rhubarbs alerted plenty of club-level racers to that.
    There's a Colin Smith doing pics and the odd writeup for the Bay Times these days...could it be...?
    Last edited by GD66; 09-22-2014 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Paul .. Your Uncle & his friend Mr Rimmer are very talented men

And cousins...

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Ha Ha Colin you have found out. Grant, Colin trying to be a secret Squirrel.
    Tallpsmith Paul, yes Your Unc Colin was a very Accomplished driver and Sports car designer. He and Adrian and Rodger Rimmer went to England after building 5 sports cars and 1 Single seater in NZ and worked for Tiger with great success.
    Jamie
    Colin Smith and the Rimmer brothers deserve a book written about their exploits let alone a dedicated thread on this site documenting the cars they built. Can- An Cars up here in Missouri list a 1974 Rhubarb for sale circa US35,000, notes the various owners ending with Gavin Bateman. Wonder how it ended up in USA? It is the Mararn enclosed cockpit car with Nissan engine although it had rotary power when Tino Korzelius owned it. Check it out at canamcarsltd.com

Grant E , only just remembered about that rotary powered Rhubarb yep it was very noisy as well lol, you know when I got hooked for a few yrs with SCANZ I hunted a RHUBARB out up north by Auckland as I wanted to revive one knowing they were well build & did all the right things, this is how I meet Colin ......when I saw the car [which was all in tact] but need some TLC etc etc I decided to make a left turn & stay with my merlyn...... hey can you imagine if people like Jamie , you, Roly colin , Adian & my Dad all went to UK together going back years ago ,just making that step what they could have made happen , we had the best race drivers, best engineers, best ..., business skills best PR...... but.. never mind.. hey what could have pulled out of the hat Thank God Bruce etc went over ..... PS Grant E . I heard you might be back for flying visit would be great to catch up bring some piks of yr Anglia ALL GOOD THIS END GRANT no probs Kind Regards Grant S.........>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Why were they named RHUBARBS ??

Hi Gang .
    To you two Grants I believe the boys were into the Goon show and that is where the name came from along with a lot Hilarity
    Jamie.

FUNNY & FAST

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hi Gang .
    To you two Grants I believe the boys were into the Goon show and that is where the name came from along with a lot Hilarity
    Jamie.
    RRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr Jamie understand must have been lots of humour about in those days , much of that lacks to day , doing SCANZ with you was fun so it al makes sence , S,I,D Jamie the Goons Rhubarb you are lucky to combine fun with motor racing ....no lawyers & bull s...t just clean fun & a yarn & beers .....

Yes Grant it was a good time ruined by Bureaucracy all to P C.

Hi again, finally managed to pickup the slide scans and have uploaded them to this Flickr album here (includes the previous set):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tallps...57647854438408

44 gallon drums for safety fencing. Classy. No idea how you guys did it back then.

regards,

Paul