Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SCANZ and 2 Litre NZ Sports Racing Cars

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Hi Guys, I always thought that the Gemco was built from the Lotus 19b that John Riley created from his 18/20 single seater. Gray Mathias bought all of that and the remains of the single seater and Peter Bruin and Geoff Manning rebuilt it in its original guise. I built two Climax engines for that car one a 1500 ex Roger Munns and later a 1800 something with hot cams and stuff. This was later sold off to the UK and was claimed to be the missing 18 that Moss drove and Tony Shelly aquired in 18/20 form. Come in David of the warm beer brigade, what say you.
    That's about it. Now owned by a friend of mine, and has a 'Tasman' 2.5 back in place, which means it can beat the 1500s. Never heard of any Moss connection though, either in 1962 or more recently

Jamie, is there a story behind SID 1's windscreen? It sort of looks as if it might have aeronautical origins?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Jamie. Think you are correct. Car #99 is probably Ian McAffer as Lindsay McCutcheon always raced with "KB Motors" (Ford dealers in Dannevirke) sponsorship/signage. Also never remember Lindsay running the 'lip' under the nose.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The "Mills" sponsored U2 is ex- Hawkes Bay. "Mill's" was a shoe shop in Hastings. Think the driver is probably Trent Simmiss who went on to do quite well in F3 in the UK. If I'm correct this is the ex Malcolm Webb, Dick Tripp ("Flowerlands"), Brian Whittington Mk8 car that is now with Jamie A?

Jamie, is there a story behind SID 1's windscreen ?

Good question ! I always thought it looked like it came off a Fletcher cropduster...
    Last edited by GD66; 05-25-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Morning guys the winscreen came from Victor Air Turer the plane was made in Hamilton in the late 60 earley 70.Yes rf84 I have figered that as well and I was going to ask Weeb,y when I go wellington next month I will drink his coffie and eat all his bickey,s

Semi-Pro Racer
    Coffee and bikkies? Hell Jamie are we talking about the same Webby? The one who could get about 6 of the F word and 3 of the C word into each and every sentence? He must be getting old!

Journeyman Racer
    [QUOTE=jamie;14535]LOW blow Mark thay say grass does not grow on A busy street??

Geez Jamie, you guys could sure strut your stuff in the 1930"s. Have you retrieved your photos yet. Looking forward to them. How about a thread on Lester.

Spider Jnr

Good Morning ELCoyote Rf84 Yes WEBB.y the one and the SAME he has Improved over the yeaars. AS for you USA Dog at least thay had Photos when I was Hatched ??? yes Bass has and thay Awsom When I figure ouy how to put them on the site I will DO .

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  scan0001 (800x537) (640x430) (500x336).jpg
Views: 1477
Size:  144.7 KB

SID Mk11 BOB HARDON Bay Park Jamie

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    SID Mk11 BOB HARDON Bay Park Jamie
    Thought you might like this one. Great thread, the Old Man would have given you shit re-spelling mistake (Harden). This is the only photo I have of the car in red. Have a few more in BP colours with Smurf's on the front. Tried to buy the car off Peter Benbrook about twenty years ago but he wasn't interested in selling. Not sure if he still has it. Geoff Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzwomble View Post
    Thought you might like this one. Great thread, the Old Man would have given you shit re-spelling mistake (Harden). This is the only photo I have of the car in red. Have a few more in BP colours with Smurf's on the front. Tried to buy the car off Peter Benbrook about twenty years ago but he wasn't interested in selling. Not sure if he still has it. Geoff Harden.
    Believe he has!

Thay tell me he has SID Mk1 as well .Sorry for the spelling Jamie

Banned
    Geoff... your dad would have loved the spelling mistake. Bob would have taken it as a compliment. Still got his "James Hunt" suit? What a poser!!!

I've just had a quick run through this site, and although I was not in N.Z. at the time I always thought that yet another change of the regulations had killed cars like the McBegg and made people chop up cars like Brabham BT21's,(Ian Bisman canbalised his Begg Twin cam) and so on, but in hindsight it created another era of cars.
    The plus of it was that it made people 'create' and 'think outside the sqare'.
    As a group of enthusiasts have we lost this challenge forever.
    I love 'historic racing' because it preserves the creativity that existed back then. It would be so nice to see a new class started with a 'Donor' car as a basis (say a Suzuki Swift) and as few as 'rules' as possible. Then turn up and 'Run what you brung'. Maybe we could get the next generation to start thinking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    I've just had a quick run through this site, and although I was not in N.Z. at the time I always thought that yet another change of the regulations had killed cars like the McBegg and made people chop up cars like Brabham BT21's,(Ian Bisman canbalised his Begg Twin cam) and so on, but in hindsight it created another era of cars.
    The plus of it was that it made people 'create' and 'think outside the sqare'.
    As a group of enthusiasts have we lost this challenge forever.
    I love 'historic racing' because it preserves the creativity that existed back then. It would be so nice to see a new class started with a 'Donor' car as a basis (say a Suzuki Swift) and as few as 'rules' as possible. Then turn up and 'Run what you brung'. Maybe we could get the next generation to start thinking again.
    A fair few years back a group of us tried to get a class going almost like this but with a hint of 750 motor club using Toyota 4k mechanicals. It looked to be going great guns, then went like a damp squib.

Yo Oldfart what happend you are righi the class semed to die over night there were some nice cars JamieA

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    Geoff... your dad would have loved the spelling mistake. Bob would have taken it as a compliment. Still got his "James Hunt" suit? What a poser!!!
    Yes you are right he would have loved it. I have great memories of the banter between all of them. Yep I've still got the "James Hunt" suit. He did have Race Tape over the name. Not sure what to do with them as they don't fit me.

Yes you are right he would have loved it. I have great memories of the banter between all of them. Yep I've still got the "James Hunt" suit. He did have Race Tape over the name. Not sure what to do with them as they don't fit me.
    Is that a genuine James Hunt suit?