Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SCANZ and 2 Litre NZ Sports Racing Cars

Semi-Pro Racer
    88 was always Morrie Hogan's number. The car depicted is one of his Mallock U2s (with one-off bodywork), but I'm not sure which

Yes Dave you are right 88 was always Morrie,s number I rember that car well we all caled it Morrie,s 1944 landing barge which caused Morrie to give the look all in good fun .Also Dave Manton is A bit off with russ Noble russ had A Lotus Twin Cam in it and John Macdonald had the 2 let ford in it Jamie

Semi-Pro Racer

One of our respected fellow members, when he had hair.

Name:  Jamie A 1a.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  140.7 KB

Great stuff guys, glad you're enjoying them, thanks heaps for all the info coming through. Its really great.

Winding down towards the end now, heres the next batch:

Name:  1419A.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  1387.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  1405.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  94.7 KB

David, Jamie, thanks for the clarification re Morrie Hogan. I do recall Robert Archibald having something similar, but the passage of time over the last 30 + years dims the details somewhat.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Archibald's car was the Kimac. Have to confess I can't remember what it looked like though (and it's not clear from Vercoe's book)

LOW blow Mark thay say grass does not grow on A busy street?? The 2 front engine cars No99 are eather Linsay Mcution or
    Ian Mcaffer the second No 8 could be Bruce Egder ?? Bob Archibalds was not un silmer and had A lotus twin cam in it and it looked much better than Morries but Morrie did A lot more events

Semi-Pro Racer
    Don't worry Jamie, I've had no hair on top since I was 22.

These are the last of them guys, the final one is just for you Jamie! Special thanks to Warrick Clayton for allowing me to post these.

Name:  1423.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  121.9 KB

Name:  1718.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  1791A1.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  96.5 KB

Thanks Steve The old SID No1 at Levin 1972. Once again Steve and Bob what A trip down memory lane???

Thanks Jamie. Did you sometimes race that car without the windscreen?

Is car #20 in post 69 the Noble in another of its guises?

Hi Steve only at verry early hilcimbs 1970.A soon as it went Puke it had the windscreen. Car 20 lookes like the Noble as it has Brabham4 Spoke wheel .s ?? it also looks like the Heron so now I am lost!!

Steve it is the Noble you have an earleyer shot on page 2 that is definatly High Pockets.

Weekend Warrior
    The Chamberlain car is the ex Dave Waldron Mk5 U2 that won the NZRDC championship in 1972. The car is now on the Sunshine Coast Queensland and is now for sale.

In post No. 30, the United sponsored sports car surfaced at the Bruce McLaren Festival at Pukekohe a couple of years ago.
    The chassis was restored, but the rest of the car had a long way to go. At least its still around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The old GEMCO of Gary Pederson I have been told it had been sold to the USA ????

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    The old GEMCO of Gary Pederson I have been told it had been sold to the USA ????
    Hi Guys, I always thought that the Gemco was built from the Lotus 19b that John Riley created from his 18/20 single seater. Gray Mathias bought all of that and the remains of the single seater and Peter Bruin and Geoff Manning rebuilt it in its original guise. I built two Climax engines for that car one a 1500 ex Roger Munns and later a 1800 something with hot cams and stuff. This was later sold off to the UK and was claimed to be the missing 18 that Moss drove and Tony Shelly aquired in 18/20 form. Come in David of the warm beer brigade, what say you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Is car #20 in post 69 the Noble in another of its guises?
    Definitely the Noble with the body mods I made for the last half of the championship. I was continually trying to improve its performance. Car was bought in this form by Dave Lester but was usually raced by Murray Baker who I think might be driving here, although Dave did drive it ocasionally. Murray later fitted the body from the Heron for whatever reason.I think he may also have changed the one person roll protection to full width. Then the car wound up with John MacDonald who swapped out the Twin Cam and MK5 Hewland for a 2 litre SOHC and HD5 Hewland.
    Last edited by Russ Noble; 05-25-2012 at 08:05 AM.

I was asked to race Peter Bruin's car at Puke I think about 1974. Just one race. I think I came in about 5-6th. I may even have a program somewhere. Will take a look to find it as it will give all details of that day. The chicanes were still in place at that stage. Cheers John H
    Name:  Taga_Fiat.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  62.1 KB
    Last edited by John H; 05-25-2012 at 08:03 AM.