Thread: Photos - From The pits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    In the very first picture (Coppins #141) there is a road lined with power poles, two of which are padded with hay bales. This suggests a road circuit, and the only one that comes to mind for the Coppins era is Renwick. The bales are placed to suggest that cars were running left to right across the view, which also could tie in with Renwick. Any comments?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    In the very first picture (Coppins #141) there is a road lined with power poles, two of which are padded with hay bales. This suggests a road circuit, and the only one that comes to mind for the Coppins era is Renwick. The bales are placed to suggest that cars were running left to right across the view, which also could tie in with Renwick. Any comments?

Stu
    Renwick is most likely, I do remember being told a story of the Wellington Car Club chartering a DC3 to fly across the strait and watch the racing
    Live it, love it, rally it

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post

Stu
    Stu,
    You are correct. When I saw these old photos of Renwick in November 1962 and then saw the background in Swannie's wonderful photos.
    The background trees are the same at the hairpin corner. The start line photo shows the same type of power lines and hay bales.
    Coppins car was white in 1965 so I assume this would be a new paint scheme for 1966.
    Also further down shows the Segedin Mustang with a red/black Mini Cooper # 39. The AR Johns sponsorship was for Brian Innes in the 1965/66 season in his 1293 cc Mini Cooper.
    Name:  Rod Coppins Zephyr-Corvette 1.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  Renwick 1962 at the hairpin.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  Renwick. 1962. Start line.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  140.8 KB
    (Marlborough Car Club archive photos in b&w)

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-08-2017 at 04:27 PM.

I don't think it can be 1966 as Coppins was entered in an Anglia that year. The Innes Mini was number 93 in 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    I don't think it can be 1966 as Coppins was entered in an Anglia that year. The Innes Mini was number 93 in 1966.
    Hi Milan I wonder if the 1966 race you refer to where Coppins had the Anglia could have been in late 1966, but during the 1967 season. Coppins raced the Zephyr during the 1965 season painted white as part of the Molyslip team, then painted red in the 1966 season.

Then he and John Ward purchased the breadvan Anglia raced by Paul Fahey during the 1966 season, repainted it red and raced it during the 1967 season.

So maybe the Renwick round of the 1967 season was held in late 1966?

Yes it was held in November 1966 which was part of the 1966/67 season. The previous race was held in November 1965 which, while being part of the 1965/66 season, is not in 1966. It gets very confusing when our motor racing seasons run over two different years.