Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Silverstone Classic Photos

Classic Silverstone Classic Photos

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  124.2 KB

This weekend one of the most significant historic racing events on the international calendar takes place; the Silverstone Classic.

The Silverstone Classic has been a main-stay for many years. Other events, such as the Goodwood Revival, may enjoy a higher status, but in my opinion, few events on the calendar combine both the quality and variety of the Silverstone Classic.

Back in 1993, when I was 21 years old and doing my OE, I decided to hire a car and drive from where I was living in London up to Silverstone for that years event. My main motivation for doing so was because at the time I was completely fixated with the old 1966-74 Can-Am sports car series. I already had a passion for motorsport history, and while there wasn't the massive available amount of information there is today on such things, I grabbed anything I could get. The Silverstone Classic had only been going a few years at the time, but was considered to be the most important historic racing event in Europe, so the magazines all did a good job promoting it and the fixtures that would be on show. For 1993, there would be a combined grid of Can-Am, 1960s/70s endurance sports cars, and 1970s racing sports cars. This was enough of a motivation to organize a trip.

At the time, while I had a real interest in motorsport history, I wasn't particularly knowledgeable on subjects other than those which took my personal interest, which, other than Can-Am, included American powered British and European GT and sports cars, American muscle and sports cars, and 1950s sports racing cars. For the most part, I was just looking forward to the adventure for what it was.

As it transpired, I enjoyed myself so much I returned again in 1994. The photos here I took during these two events, which I recently stumbled upon while down at our storage unit. Frustratingly, I also have the race programmes from both years, but they're buried somewhere in storage. I may need to try and dig them out to help ID some of these cars and the people who drove them.

Sorry for the quality of these images. My cheap little camera was a POS, and over time I'm sure the photos have deteriorated somewhat. Furthermore, I'm no photographer, I point and shoot, and hope for the best. But hopefully you enjoy these for what they are.

Talbot-Lago shares pit space with other single seaters.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  136.1 KB

There was a lot of excitement at the event over the appearance of this Vanwall, driven from memory by Martin Stretton.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  132.6 KB

Jaguar powered Lister Costin was driven by former 1970s touring car racer John Fitzpatrick. This was one of the earliest examples of a-ex professional driver competing at a historic event. Frank Sytner was also a regular at the time. But whereas Sytner drove fast but clean, Fitzpatrick drove like he was still racing touring cars in the 1970s, and the Lister was looking pretty battle-scarred by the end of the weekend. This sort of thing is now common at high-profile historic events, its almost expected the old pro's beat the crap out of someone else's hugely valuable historic racer, but back in 1993 there were a lot of grumblings about the Fitzpatrick's behavior.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  91.6 KB

One of the biggest surprises for me was the race for pre-1966 GT cars. I really had no expectations, but this event, and some of the cars competing, really blew my mind. Pre-66 GT continues to be the hero class of historic racing today.

This is Frank Sytner in Sir Anthony Bamford's beautiful 1964 Ferrari 250GTO notchback. From memory this cleaned up the 1993 event.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  119.9 KB

Front row of the GT grid with the Ferrari sharing space with one of two Bizarrini's.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  151.8 KB

This is the class I was really looking forward to. From memory these cars ran a full championship that took place throughout the UK and Europe. There was a big grid. Qualifying took place in the wet so some of the smaller cars got ahead of the Can-Am cars, but the fastest of the Can-Ams quickly moved ahead.

Charles and Peter Agg had a pair of McLaren M8Fs, including the old Team VDS car with its twin-turbo chargers. The turbo car ran like a dog, although it was said to produce over 1300 horsepower when it was happy. Joest Kalich was also racing one of the two BRM P154 Can-Am cars.

Note the pace car which was a brand new McLaren road car.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  160.1 KB

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason brought along at least three cars to the 1993 event, including a Ferrari 250GTO, Maserati birdcage, and the infamous BRM V16. There was huge excitement over this car. It didn't run for very long and it was probably just as well I was also there for qualifying because that was the most anyone saw of it all weekend.

The BRM was an assault on the senses. You could hear it coming before you could see it, and it sounded like it was doing a million miles an hour because it revved so high and was so loud. Then it was come into view, and was usually travelling relatively slowly. It achieved little at Silverstone in 1993, and I've never seen another one since, but I'm really pleased to have experienced it. I still remember it to this day.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  108.7 KB

Beautiful short nose Jaguar D Type. I prefer these versions to the long nose cars, and think they look much prettier without the aero piece that comes off the rear of the driver shroud.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  116.6 KB

Pair of Ferrari 250GT SWBs.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  130.5 KB

This was on display but didn't run. Not even for demonstrations. It was extremely original looking, even the tyres looked 25 years old.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  183.4 KB

Lindsay Owen-Jones owned one of the Ferrari SWBs pictured above in post #13. He raced that car in the 1993 event, but for the 1994 Silverstone Classic he stumped up and purchased this magnificent 250GTO notchback. My photo doesn't really show it but the roofline was longer and more curvacious than the Bamford car raced by Sytner. Owen-Jones had apparently paid 6 million pounds for the car in 1994, which is a lot of money now, but was worthy of note back then.

The 1994 pre-66 GT race produced a couple of epic battles between the 250GTOs of Sytner and Owen-Jones, and the two very quick Cobras of Steve Hitchins and Bill Shepherd.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  104.7 KB

This is the Shepherd Cobra mentioned above. Bill Shepherd still races a Cobra in historic events, he ran one at the 2016 Goodwood Revival. I don't know if its the same car pictured here or another one. Back in the 1990s the Cobra teams all had open tops. These days they all fit hardtops, for less drag. Back in the 1990s all they could do was tilt the windscreen right back so the little Cobras were less brick-like.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  163.0 KB

This was a pretty looking oddity, a Bristol 450. I believe the car went through a few different guises in period, which included a hardtop roof.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  146.7 KB

Shelby GT350, possibly Tim Buxton from memory. There were a couple of magazine articles on this car in the early '90s.

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  137.7 KB

One of the two Bizzarrini's competing in the pre-66 GT races at the 1993 event. This one looked awesome with no paint, and the alloy body fully exposed.

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  140.2 KB