Thread: Bonneville Speed Week 2017

Bonneville Speed Week 2017

Thinking about going since I will likely be in LA for work. Anyone else going? Any recommendations?

Andy.

Reg Cook should be there.

Thanks. Yea, was talking to a guy that works on his engines last night which got me interested

I was all set to spend a day out there on the salt for a relatively minor event back in 2014...

This was run by the local people with cars restricted to 300mph. Or should I say open only to cars which did 300mph or less?

That was held about the second week in July that year. Unfortunately I had a bit of a hiccup in my arrangements which cost me a day or two and I couldn't do it. I will go there some time, though!

I did visit Bill Morris in Montana, he's got a Jaguar XJ6 he thought was making too much of a mess of his driveway, so he converted it to Bonneville use:

He told me the Anglophiles were delighted to see it turn up. Until they saw the 'Buick' name prominent on the huge bulge in the bonnet. Eventually he got it to about 200mph with the Buick engine running a highly compressed inlet charge.

This is the streamliner he bought and fitted with yet another Buick engine. Apparently it used to have some sort of diesel engine in it, but the Buick gets it near to the 300mph level so he's happy he put that in.

Oh, yes, the Buick engines we're talking about are straight eights from the late forties/early fifties, not a V8 to be seen.

These blokes have a wonderful passion.

World Champion
    The Bonneville Speed Week is on at the same time as the Laguna Seca Historics in August so I may not get to the Great Salt Lake Flats in Utah.
    They say you get to see all sorts of vehicles out on the salt.
    Name:  -Bonneville-SpeedWeek-2016-Day-Two.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  Bonneville-Speed-Week-2016-Friday245.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  149.3 KB

Of course you will need some guidance such as found at this site.

http://www.roadkill.com/the-beginner...le-speed-week/

KJH.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-28-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    These blokes have a wonderful passion.
    Yes, I love the amount of passion these guys have for the event. I'll look out for the Jag or streamliner.

I don't much like rental cars so looking at getting something a bit more practical. A work colleague is going to check this one out tomorrow, fingers crossed it isn't a basket case or already sold. 150 Handyman with a non original 4sp and smallblock on drum brakes. Pity about the wheels.
    Name:  00R0R_3NqBnmdtOwq_600x450.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  11.1 KB

Thanks KJH. A gallon of sunscreen, esky full of water and a tent. Sorted. Big fan of Roadkill, part of the inspiration for going.

Andy.

World Champion
    I had a memorable lunch in 1998 with Andy Granatelli and among his wonderful private collection was the 1963 Studebaker Avanti that he drove at Bonneville at up to almost 170 MPH.
    (As Rod Stewart sang " Every picture tells a story ". )
    Name:  Andy.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  94.6 KB

This promotional film shows Andy at speed in short sleeves !

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-28-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Picked up the car today and immediately got rid of the drug dealer wheels. Big improvement. It doesn't seem to have any oil pressure though which could be a problem.

Speed Week was everything I expected it to be. Chevy made it there and back with only the addition of a set of plugs and a gallon of oil along the way.

Dreams are free...

Cook's team were one mph off the record, then made some aero changes which didn't help, then had gearbox failure. I haven't heard if they made the record.

Morris got a record with the Buick powered Jag. It blows out a cloud of brown smoke and then disappears into the distance without a sound.

Not everyone is too serious. I think the record is something like 32mph for a sidecar Vespa.

The Indian motorcycle team played TWFI on a big inflatable screen which was pretty special. Roger Donaldson gave a brief talk beforehand.

Missing out on Monterey this weekend, I'm just too knackered.

Came back via Yosemite and the coast.