Thread: Looks like I got something unexpected from the Roaring Season.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I get heaps of Spam that gets past my ISP, partly because my private email address was used for years on race meeting ASR's as the contact for the ERC Series, before I created an ERC domain. When your full email address is in any way in the public domain, sooner or later you get spammed. I get a lot of Spam from China, for example, offering various services to 'Arrow Wheels' as one of our sponsors.

If you ever post on a message board or any public forum, then all I can suggest as an amateur, is that you put a space before and after the @ sign, or use the word 'at' instead. Not fool proof and even the web bots that go searching for email addresses might not be conned.

Also what doesn't help is when an organisation or club or private person sends out an email to 100's of people, but instead of using the 'bcc' option (blind carbon copy), they use 'To' or 'Copy'. Even Goodwood and Sky TV have been guilty of that. Particularly with Goodwood, I could have trawled through that list and no doubt tracked down many 'known' people, but I didn't.

All I can suggest is that you do as I have had to do, is create a new gmail address to use on a temporary basis for personal stuff, and create a new main email address for everywhere else.

In the meantime, it will pay to be cautious - which is very sad, as TRS is an addiction I really do not want to kick.

The other issue is people forwarding an email with dozens or even hundreds of previous email addresses on it. It only takes one or two rogues and your email address is grabbed by the spammers.

It is sheer laziness or ignorance on the part of the sender.

Most ISP's will be filtering out 98% of the stuff they receive as it is deemed to be Spam.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-28-2017 at 10:04 PM.