Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Firebird still around?

Is this Firebird still around?

Just got to thinking is this Firebird still around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Number plate is not registered, so it's not on the road. In a shed, or race car perhaps?

That is another Pontiac Firebird that was at one time owned by Robin Tanner's wife, Inga. Bought from Rod Coppins Motors from memory.

Bruce.

I'd like to know that too.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  165.5 KB

Name:  243.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  119.2 KB

In the second to last photo it looks to have a non factory front, no headlights and the chrome part is not chrome anymore.
    For a 350 car it went pretty well.

And stopped well too as it had drums front and rear.
    Crosbie was going to run a Z/28 Camaro , but that fell over at the 11th hour.
    Firbird worked well for consistency over the 3 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    In the second to last photo it looks to have a non factory front, no headlights and the chrome part is not chrome anymore.
    For a 350 car it went pretty well.
    My guess is the lights and chrome have been taped up to prevent damage. Most of these production racers usually ended up back on the road and sold to unsuspecting buyers.

A gentleman came in and asked for directions, and after a chat we clicked who we were and after over 30 odd years there was Robin Tanner standing in my drive. We had great catch up and Robin actually lives not far from us and he is going to come back over with photos and have a catch up. Will keep you posted. PS Robin is the thinner one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    A gentleman came in and asked for directions, and after a chat we clicked who we were and after over 30 odd years there was Robin Tanner standing in my drive. We had great catch up and Robin actually lives not far from us and he is going to come back over with photos and have a catch up. Will keep you posted. PS Robin is the thinner one.
    PS Robin is the thinner one.[/QUOTE] Well who would have guessed Rod!!!LOL

I was talking to Bruce (Bruce 302) and he said Robin was around and told me of your story.
    When I was a young nipper Robin lived in Beach haven near us, we lived in Aeroview Drive and I remember Robin in his coupe and later in the mustang blasting up our street. We loved seeing him go by and we jumped, waved & cheered him on to go faster! We were inspired by Robin and his cars which is how my brother and I got my early interest I cars ( its a disease you know.... a pretty good one though)
    All these years on I had always wondered about Robin and if he still had his cars.
    I would love to see some pics of his 39 coupes again. Its so great to see your picture!
    Robin would likely not remember the little brats from Aeroview Drive but we sure still remember him.... legend!
    Last edited by Paul B; 09-15-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Hi Paul,
    This is one of the 5 '39 coupe's that Robin had.

I know this isn't the right place so I will start a thread for Robin. He is very appreciative that he is well remembered. I spoke with him today and will be calling him again this weekend.

Bruce.

This is the Firebird when Robin and his wife Inga owned it.

Wow this is a start, where is the next photo or news clip of this car!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I'd like to know that too.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  165.5 KB

Name:  243.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  119.2 KB
    Interesting laps times for Teretonga grid ^^^ were.
    L. Leonard 1.22.1
    E. Sprague 1.22.5
    B. Crosbie 1.22.6
    J. Kennedy 1.23.6
    R. Emson 1.25.1
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 09-15-2017 at 12:32 PM.

World Champion
    Does this mean that LHD vehicles do well on anti clockwise circuits with mostly left turns ?
    (This is a Hyndman theory who was never a race driver.)
    I also remember Kevin Bartlett preferred a LHD Alfa Romeo GTA because he liked the right hand gear change as that was like in his sports and formula cars

Robin was talking about you Bruce, he is a neat bubbly guy. He was amazed when i showed him photos of the old Firebird and other cars and it sure bought a smile to his face. Paul B, I knew Robin back in ole days of Coupes and later mk2 Zephyr, he still has same bubble of joy when he remembers those days.

I'm sure there are racers that prefer LHD on left turn circuits, and vice versa. Especially on smaller tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Does this mean that LHD vehicles do well on anti clockwise circuits with mostly left turns ?
    (This is a Hyndman theory who was never a race driver.)
    I also remember Kevin Bartlett preferred a LHD Alfa Romeo GTA because he liked the right hand gear change as that was like in his sports and formula cars

Robin told me he got a bit emotional remembering the good old days, and he especially likes to know that he is remembered.
    He loves talking about cars and racing and freely admits that it is invigorating and keeps his spark alive. Something that was missing for a long time in his remote corner.

Robin was talking about you Bruce, he is a neat bubbly guy. He was amazed when i showed him photos of the old Firebird and other cars and it sure bought a smile to his face. Paul B, I knew Robin back in ole days of Coupes and later mk2 Zephyr, he still has same bubble of joy when he remembers those days.

Thats a 67 or 68 Firebird Duncan. What a mess! What happened, and whose was this?