Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
Wow, cool to see this car. What was the story with this car? I thought for some reason the car was given special dispensation to race with the F5000s, even though it wasn't eligible? Wasn't it a 2 litre? I do know that Redman opted to skip the Pukekohe chicanes a couple of times to better his chances.
That's pretty much it Steve - something like this:

1. F5000 was on its last legs
2. The Tasman Series was over - the organisers were struggling to put a grid together
3. So with a shortage of cars of any quality - 5000s plus cars like the Steve Millen driven Chevron B20, MANZ banned 2-litre cars.
4. Then - not only did they accept an entry for a 2-litre Chevron B29-BMW, they paid Brian Redman a fair chunk of appearance fee.
5. As I recall, people with the talent of Graham McRae and Warwick Brown were spectators - why? Because the money had all gone on a car the organisers had banned.

So was Millen allowed to run? Of course he couldn't - he had an illegal car, four years older than Redman's.

None of this was Brian Redman's fault of course - he was and is a lovely bloke and I thoroughly recommend his autobiography.