Thread: Redman Chevron B29

Redman Chevron B29

I recently had a sale of my B29 picture to the chap who currently owns it.
    He wanted the pic (and any others I had) to help get it back to as original as possible.

Then he sent me a couple of pics back showing it in its current form.
    So I thought you chaps might like to see.

Name:  B29 - 1.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  B29 - 2.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  72.9 KB
    Name:  B29 - 3.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  53.0 KB

The owner is Brian Roberts
    director of Operations, JFC racing, auburn WA

That is a very nice piece of work, a real classic this car.

A few photos from 1976 to 78

Name:  Redman-Chevron-BMW-Puke-197.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  Redman-chases-Stewart-Puke-.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  Redmond-Sweeper-Puke-1976.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  141.4 KB

Name:  Oxton-Manfield-1977.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  Morgan-Pukekohe-78.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  147.0 KB

Wow, cool to see this car. What was the story with this car? I thought for some reason the car was given special dispensation to race with the F5000s, even though it wasn't eligible? Wasn't it a 2 litre? I do know that Redman opted to skip the Pukekohe chicanes a couple of times to better his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, cool to see this car. What was the story with this car? I thought for some reason the car was given special dispensation to race with the F5000s, even though it wasn't eligible? Wasn't it a 2 litre? I do know that Redman opted to skip the Pukekohe chicanes a couple of times to better his chances.
    That's pretty much it Steve - something like this:

1. F5000 was on its last legs
    2. The Tasman Series was over - the organisers were struggling to put a grid together
    3. So with a shortage of cars of any quality - 5000s plus cars like the Steve Millen driven Chevron B20, MANZ banned 2-litre cars.
    4. Then - not only did they accept an entry for a 2-litre Chevron B29-BMW, they paid Brian Redman a fair chunk of appearance fee.
    5. As I recall, people with the talent of Graham McRae and Warwick Brown were spectators - why? Because the money had all gone on a car the organisers had banned.

So was Millen allowed to run? Of course he couldn't - he had an illegal car, four years older than Redman's.

None of this was Brian Redman's fault of course - he was and is a lovely bloke and I thoroughly recommend his autobiography.

Thanks Michael. Was there a 1.6 litre championship as well? I vaguely recall small capacity cars racing amongst the 5000s, but for their own championship. Ken Smith, Ross Calgher etc I'm sure ran small cars well into the F5000 era.

Thanks to Warwick Clayton for these beauties. Looks like Manfield.

Name:  2-22-2013_006.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  2-22-2013_007.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  2-27-2013_006.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  76.2 KB

A couple more from Warwick Clayton, slightly later in this cars career, as Warwick explains:

"This is the Redman car as raced in NZ by Norm Lankshear of Fielding. These are from a Manawatu Car Club day".

Name:  2017-10-06_15.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  2017-10-07_1.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  75.1 KB

Not right - that is Norm in the ex Rosberg Chevron B34.

The 'Redman B29' went to David Oxton and then to Eric Morgan. And Steve, there was no 1.6 (or 2.0) sub-championship in the time of 5000s. What there should have been is a 'B' or tier two championship so that older cars such as the early Beggs, McLarens, Lolas etc still had a value in the market place and could be raced alongside modern cars to keep the numbers up.

The same should have happened with Atlantics when the ground effect cars meant Chevrons and Marches (et al) of the era of these above became almost instantly uncompetitive and therefore compromised their value.

Thanks Michael, great info.