Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood_ From the early years.

World Champion

Goodwood_ From the early years.

This starts out about a different type of roaring engines and the Goodwood area.
    My uncle Jack Hyndman was a Mosquito fighter bomber pilot based at Hunsdon airfield north of London in 1943 during the height of World War 2. They began training for a secret bombing raid in Northern France known as "Operation Jericho." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Jericho )
    Uncle Jack was part of the RNZAF Squadron 487 and they flew under the radar known as "Hedge Hopping". Sadly as he flew in fog on a mission a few days before the big raid he happened to hit the power lines that cross the South Downs near Goodwood and although he tried to make it to the English Channel the plane crashed a mile short of the coast and sadly people on the ground were also killed. We were always told he had crashed in fog in south England but we never had any details until the last few years.
    Name:  Uncle Jack. Jan. 1944.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  160.1 KB

Hunsdon Airfield present day memorial.

http://www.wartime-airfields.com/raf-hunsdon.html

Name:  Hunsdon Memorial..JPG
Views: 1230
Size:  135.7 KB
    Name:  Hunsdon19442013©.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  93.9 KB

Uncle Jack's plane hit the power lines seen the distance on the hill about 5 miles to the right of this photo at Goodwood, which shows John Coundley winning the Whitsun Trophy Race on June 6 1965 in one of the first McLaren Elva Mk 1 Olds. # 71.
    Name:  Goodwood. John Coundley. June 1965..jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  133.4 KB

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 09-29-2017 at 01:35 AM.

World Champion
    Another look at the hill with the cursed power lines. Looking north from Goodwood.
    First October 1973 when the chicane was just a slight left curve in the circuit. No grandstands just some blackberries, pit wall was just some wood planks but the track marshal's Land Rover was still the same after many years.
    Name:  Goodwood. Oct. 1973.Looking North toward the South Downs..jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  132.0 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo. Compare this to the 1965 photo when the track was in it's heyday )

Another photo of the same area in 1968 with the McLaren Team testing their new Can Am car before the US season began.
    Note the pit wall and counter, Land Rover and that HILL.
    Name:  Goodwood 1968 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  155.8 KB

(Ken H)

World Champion
    1948 was an historic year as that was when Prince Charles, my wife and I were born plus it was the year that the Goodwood Circuit opened in September 1948.

September 18 1948.

Name:  Goodwood_September 1948.JPG
Views: 1184
Size:  180.3 KB

Name:  Goodwood. First meet. 1948.JPG
Views: 989
Size:  101.3 KB

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-13-2017 at 09:11 PM.

World Champion
    Since 1948 to the present day the Goodwood circuit has stayed basically the same.
    Name:  Goodwood Circuit.JPG
Views: 1275
Size:  100.0 KB
    Goodwood circuit in 1948. Note that the marshal's post on the Lavant Straight is on the outside of the track. (If only it had been there on June 2nd 1970 instead of being on the inside like this ! )
    Name:  70_Goodwood_Bruce_McLaren.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  172.3 KB

Name:  -Goodwood_track_map_svg.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  97.3 KB
    Goodwood as it is today.

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-01-2017 at 01:44 AM.

World Champion

World Champion
    The Goodwood circuit is based around the Westhampnett Airfield which was used by Spitfire Squadrons during World War 2 during the Battle of Britain and included famous pilots such as Douglas Bader and Australian born Tony Gaze. Tony would often race on the roads around the airfield and after the war helped develop the present track using the runways and that meant the Lavant Straight has a kink in it due to the fact the wartime runway was laid out to not be in a straight line so the planes on the runway would be a more difficult target from any enemy air attack. Tony Gaze was a decorated fighter ace and he also drove well and came out to NZ in 1954 -1956 where he finished second to Stirling Moss at the NZGP at Ardmore. He later married Lex Davison's widow, Diana, and his 3 stepsons all became race drivers also. Without his input and enthusiasm and convincing landowner Freddie March, the Duke of Richmond and Gordon, to develop the property for racing there may never have been a Goodwood Circuit.
    Tony Gaze was a talented driver and along with his friends, Lex Davison and Stan Jones even competed in the 1953 Monte Carlo Rally in this FX Holden.
    Name:  stan-jones-monte-carlo-rally-1953.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  181.7 KB

Stirling Moss's description of driving the Goodwood Circuit.
    Drive around Goodwood
    with Stirling Moss
    "Goodwood - Six main corners, a chicane, a couple of short straights - and every yard of it a challenge to driver and car. That's how I remember it during the twelve seasons I drove on the Sussex circuit. To the spectator it probably looks a simple open circuit with its fast sweeping bends and good visibility. But to the drivers in their low cars it is packed with testing tricks. Adverse cambers, double apexes on several corners, slight undulations in unexpected places, keep drivers busy and throw cars about without a moment's respite. If a car handles well here its road-holding qualities are proved to the hilt.

1. Madgwick
    The first corner after the pits, Madgwick is a fast, sweeping nght-handler with a double apex. You are over on the left while braking down for the bend. Turn in fairly late and aim for the middle of the white curb on the first apex, clip it close, letting the car move out again to right-of-centre before coming back for the second apex. The car mustn't be allowed to run out too far after the first apex as there's a little hump (invisible to spectators) in the centre of the road that can flip the back up and set it down in a different place.

2. Fordwater
    Full bore down the short straight before Fordwater moving over to left of track. This is such a fast bend that the car must be set up very early and the whole curve taken at around maximum speed. The last part of Fordwater has a slight dip through which the wind can funnel, and in a light car this can be dangerous (it can blow you right across the road) and must be watched carefully.

3. St. Mary's
    St. Mary's is a sharpish left-hander but the term usually includes the nameless bend called "the right hander before St. Mary's". And the right-hander is not one to be ignored; this is the bend before which I ended my own motor racing career! It's a fast bend and the car must be tucked well into the inside and held there without allowing it to break away to the left. The way you take this right-hander governs the line through St. Mary's. Swinging quite late into the left-hander after holding the car in for the last half of the previous bend enter St. Mary's under power clipping the apex on the left then using the whole of the road's width as you leave the corner on another adverse camber.

4. Lavant
    Another double apex bend this, and again the car must be positioned to negotiate the first part accurately so that the second apex is taken in such a way that allows the car to accelerate off with the minimum of time lag and wheel spin. You drive through under power close into the first apex moving out again to the middle of the track and taking the second less acute apex in one long smooth sweep. Because the car comes out of this bend at considerable speed you change up into the next gear immediately after the last apex.

5. Lavant Straight
    Your car is on the left of the road on exit from Lavant Corner building up speed rapidly. Move over to the right to "iron out" the kink half way down Lavant Straight you pass the kink in top gear. You're approaching your fastest speed. Although the left-handed kink need not be taken razor close it is not wise to leave too much room - or you may find another car nipping through on your left!

6. Woodcote
    Another bend with two apexes. Braking hard in the middle of the road the first apex is taken fairly wide and late. As some drivers used to say "You muddle your way through the first part of Woodcote and take the second apex close". As the car is pulled in hard to the white line on the last apex power is applied to get the backend round and the sweep takes you right over to the grass verge on the outside of the track in front of the first chicane stand. The more skillful drivers can save a little time at this corner by late braking but it takes courage and ability to do this!

7. The Chicane
    A short burst of power takes the car down to the approach to the chicane still on the outside edge of the track. Brake to a fairly slow speed (it's better to enter the chicane slowly and be in a good position to leave quickly than vice versa) shaving the low wall on the right. Half way through the chicane many drivers turn on the power to swing the car round so that their exit is in more or less a straight line. The slightly sunken kerb on the right is used by others as a "tramline" to hold a back wheel on the right line for the exit. The car catapults out of the chicane under controlled power with the slide compensated by corrective steering, and is taken up through he gears as it passes the pits."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-05-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: oops !

World Champion
    Stirling Moss won the first race in his great career at the Goodwood Meeting . Sept. 18 1948. driving a 500 c.c. Cooper.
    Name:  Stirling Moss. Goodwood. 1948.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  143.4 KB

Although his driving style of hanging on to the side to stop being thrown out would not have been approved by any driving instructor !
    Before the time of seat belts !
    Name:  StirlingMoss-1948.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  53.2 KB

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-02-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Wow, outstanding thread Ken! Great work.

World Champion
    As you can see from this "Gettys Image" of Stirling at Goodwood in 1948, that he drove like he was in a side car race and leaned heavily into the corners. He was quick right from the beginning. Ken Tyrrell thought that he himself was a pretty decent race driver but when Stirling blew past him in races he decided to be a team manager instead and the rest is history.
    Name:  Stirling Moss. Goodwood.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  51.7 KB

(Ken H )

World Champion
    By 1956 Stirling's cockpit habits had improved as he uses up all the track in his Aston Martin at Goodwood.
    Name:  stirling%20moss%20goodwood%2056.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  100.3 KB

(Ken H )

World Champion
    In 1958 Jean Behra was fortunate to just get two cracked ribs in this accident at the Goodwood Chicane when his BRM brakes failed and he had to make a quick decision between perhaps veering into the crowded stands on the left or trying to get through the chicane with no brakes. This is the result but sadly a year later Jean died in a sports car race at Avus in Germany.
    Name:  Behra%20Jean_image064.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  182.9 KB

plus a brief movie of the event.

(Ken H )

World Champion
    In 1960 Stirling Moss drove a beautiful Rob Walker Ferrari 250 GT SWB # 7 at the Goodwood RAC Trophy Race to victory.
    Soon after quickly recovering from injuries from a practice crash at Spa before the F1 race that sadly claimed the lives of talented British drivers Alan Stacey and Chris Bristow.

Name:  Goodwood. 1960.jpg
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  Goodwood. 1960 Stirling-Moss3.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  92.9 KB
    (Stirling again using every inch of the track that he can. )

(This clip has sound )

(Ken H )

World Champion
    In 1961 the Goodwood pit area was used for the promotional photos of the new Mini Cooper and Bruce McLaren and John Cooper can be seen with what to me looks like the 1961 Cooper T54 that Jack Brabham drove at Indianapolis that year.
    Name:  1961-1969-mini-cooper-997-998-3647_6505_969X727.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  Goodwood. 1961. Mini Cooper.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  Goodwood. Mini Cooper ad. 1961.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  115.5 KB
    ( A fine car indeed !)

(Ken Hyndman, a proud, 1962, very rare, built for North America, LHD, Austin Mini Cooper, owner )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.

World Champion
    Goodwood had some wonderful racing over the time it opened in 1948 until it was closed to race meetings in 1966 when it was thought to be too dangerous for the faster cars and would be too costly to upgrade.
    Here are some scenes from over those years.
    Racing in the 1950s.
    Name:  Goodwood in the 1950s.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  176.9 KB

Name:  Goodwood.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  Goodwood. Early years..jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  151.5 KB
    Those big BRMs putting their power to the track !

Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-04-2017 at 09:12 PM.

I wonder why that Mini Cooper pic (#13) has the car on Bournemouth number plates? Most unusual as most promo pics were of cars registered in the West Midlands.

(Ray, a proud ex original Mini/ Mini Cooper/Cooper S owner and current BMW Cooper S owner and now my wife has just bought a 2014 Mini Cooper auto...)
    Last edited by ERC; 10-05-2017 at 08:28 AM.

World Champion
    Ray,
    Thanks for looking out for me, I need all the help I can get !
    I found this piece about the KEL 236 number plate.
    " Simon Wheatcroft of the Mini Cooper Register has provided an alternative view as to the identity of the prototype Mini Cooper. According to Simon, ‘the development car was not registered as and only bore the registration KEL 236 in the photographic sequence at Goodwood and was actually 126 LWL. 126 LWL was registered on 20 April 1961 as a Morris despite never being seen with a Morris badge, the car was Farina Grey with a Black roof. ‘126 LWL was present at the Mini Cooper launch (badged as an Austin) and was subsequently tested by Sports Car Graphic magazine complete with all its non-standard parts such as Morris Minor style 100 mph speedometer and unique interior trim.’"

( Ken H )

World Champion
    Jim Clark drove in all types of racing at Goodwood throughout his all too brief career.
    Name:  Goodwood. 1960. Jim Clark.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  102.7 KB
    Jim Clark in his Lotus leading John Surtees in his Cooper. Goodwood. 1960.

Name:  jim-clark-tourist-trophy.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  86.2 KB
    Jim Clark drifting his Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato through Madgwick Corner during the 1961 Tourist Trophy Race.

Name:  Goodwood. 1966. Jim Clark V Nick Brittan.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  78.6 KB
    Jim Clark in Lotus Cortina against Nick Brittan's Hillman Imp. Goodwood. 1966.

Name:  Goodwood. 1964 . Start.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  163.2 KB
    Jim Clark about to do battle with Bruce McLaren and Graham Hill at the 1964 Tourist Trophy Race.

Name:  Goodwood. 1964. Jim Clark.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  170.9 KB
    Jim Clark in his Lotus 30 comes into the pits at the 1964 Tourist Trophy Race at Goodwood.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-13-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: ..

Great stuff Ken. I never visited Goodwood when it was active but having been for the Revival's twice, I urge any real enthusiast to make a pilgrimage. Even if you have to sacrifice other meetings for a year, it is well worth it. Why?

1) You will see so many cars on track that you will never ever see locally.

2) Even without a paddock pass, you can in fact walk around the whole circuit and get a decent view. You can also see some of the paddock, but from the perimeter.

3) There is no chicken wire fencing anywhere to obstruct your view.

4) There are amazing food stalls everywhere. Some more expensive than others.

5) You could spend a day just in the pre 1966 car park.

6) Although there are frustrating delays between races, the last races go on until dusk.

7) The memorabilia stalls and other goodies being sold are well worth a closer look.

8) The atmosphere and dress is just unique.

9) Tickets are limited, so although it is busy, it is not oppressively so.

10) The off track period displays are well worth looking at too.

I'm really hoping I can make it again in 2018...

World Champion
    Although Graham Hill won the 1964 race in his # 3 Ferrari, it was the battle between Bruce and Jimmy that thrilled the crowd before both of their cars had to retire. It was the last race for Bruce in the Zerex Special.
    Name:  Goodwood. Graham Hill..jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  181.2 KB

Name:  Goodwood. 1964. Bruce McLaren.jpg
Size:  147.3 KB
    Bruce McLaren in his Zerex Traco Olds Special # 2 passing Roger Nathan in his Brabham # 12 on the pit straight at Goodwood. August 28. 1964.

Another short clip of the race at Goodwood. 1964.

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-06-2017 at 12:44 AM.

World Champion
    Ray,
    That is really interesting information for Goodwood and I know it is on my "Bucket List". I probably would hardly recognize it now compared to how it was in 1973. I remember getting a special offer when at Trojan to take the driving school class offered at that time and I managed to talk my way out of it !
    I am also discouraged today to note that in 24 hours a total of 51 have shown any interest in this thread while your "Just a mix of pics" has had over 1300 hits over the same period, so I had better move over and finish this up.
    I appreciate all your pics and inputs and hope you get to Goodwood next year.
    Cheers,
    Ken H