Thread: Problems With The Roaring Season

Problems With The Roaring Season

As some of you will have seen, we have been experiencing some issues with The Roaring Season. This began with a warning from Google, depending on what virus protection users had, just over a week ago. I contacted my tech guy David to take a look at it, but he suffered a torn ligament the same day and ended up in hospital, which slowed his progress.

David completed the Google requirements a few days ago and then updated the site to the latest vBulletin patch, before resubmitting it back to Google for assessment. They've since given it a clean bill of health, and the site has been restored, complete with updates.

Initially all the old images disappeared which was due to the vBulletin patch, but these have now been restored also.

Social media sites such as The Roaring Season, or any other similar site using a forum such as this are always targets for hackers, as is Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc, and I'm sure this is something you're all aware of, and something you all consider when visiting any sort of social media website. Its an unfortunate fact of life and something we are constantly trying to stay on top of.

I'm still not yet sure what the problem was. David hasn't yet given me a breakdown. Some users and visitors experienced no problems at all, and no warnings, and continued using the site as per usual, while others were faced with a large red warning effectively blocking access. Its frustrating, but we keep pushing forward. There are more stories to be told and more vintage photo collections to be shared, so we'll just negotiate each hurdle as it arises and move on.

Have had no problems with your site Steve, but have huge amount of garbage which seems to come from US sites, seems to be a problem that the US can't fix - you know the right to be armed and we will do anything we want!
    Put up a very true and safe French photo site that hope can see through the night.

World Champion
    Steve,
    It was a great relief to wake up this morning and see 4 years of my photos back on TRS.
    A huge thanks to you and David.
    Over here in the US we blame the Russians and Chinese etc. for any hacking issues etc.
    I hope I am not part of the " huge amount of garbage which seems to come from US sites, seems to be a problem that the US can't fix - you know the right to be armed and we will do anything we want!"
    Let me know and perhaps we can go back to how we started in 2013 where I would email my "stuff / garbage" to you and then you would input it for me.
    May it never be a problem for the TRS site again.
    Ken Hyndman.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    As some of you will have seen, we have been experiencing some issues with The Roaring Season. This began with a warning from Google, depending on what virus protection users had, just over a week ago. I contacted my tech guy David to take a look at it, but he suffered a torn ligament the same day and ended up in hospital, which slowed his progress.

David completed the Google requirements a few days ago and then updated the site to the latest vBulletin patch, before resubmitting it back to Google for assessment. They've since given it a clean bill of health, and the site has been restored, complete with updates.

Initially all the old images disappeared which was due to the vBulletin patch, but these have now been restored also.

Social media sites such as The Roaring Season, or any other similar site using a forum such as this are always targets for hackers, as is Facebook, Youtube, Twitter etc, and I'm sure this is something you're all aware of, and something you all consider when visiting any sort of social media website. Its an unfortunate fact of life and something we are constantly trying to stay on top of.

I'm still not yet sure what the problem was. David hasn't yet given me a breakdown. Some users and visitors experienced no problems at all, and no warnings, and continued using the site as per usual, while others were faced with a large red warning effectively blocking access. Its frustrating, but we keep pushing forward. There are more stories to be told and more vintage photo collections to be shared, so we'll just negotiate each hurdle as it arises and move on.
    Thanks for the site we all appreciate all your hard work and this site. Cheers..
    Last edited by John H; 10-01-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks Steve. Must have been be a total nightmare for you but so relieved everyone's photos have been saved.

Visiting this website daily is part of the routine of life!

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Visiting this website daily is part of the routine of life!
    It certainly is. Thanks for getting it back to health.
    cheers

Steve - Appreciate all the effort to get our favourite site back up and running. Lindsay

Steve, all working for me now, thanks for work in fixing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

I am with the other Guys thanks for sorting it, was missing my daily fix, " her Indoors " may not be so happy though - " you spend too much time on the ***** Car Forum

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it. Good to know you can all get your daily fix again! Mind you, much healthier some some habits.

World Champion
    Thanks Steve - Nice to see everything back in order..

I am so relieved! Millions of thanks to Steve and his team for getting it resolved.I don't know which of a few sites got me, but I have lost everything on the computer. Every document, every photo.... We had to do a total reset back to a bare unit as we bought it in January.
    At least I can now take my fix.

Oldfart, I hope you had back ups! In my PC, there are two 1Tb hard drives and the system automatically backs up from the C drive to the other. If either drive fails, I get a warning and it is almost just a case of slotting in a replacement and then everything transfers over again.

All photos on the Lap Top are transferred to the PC via another 1Tb portable hard drive and there are another 4 portable 1Tb hard drives for back ups of Car; Family; Travel; Business, Music and Video!

There are also some important data files on 'Dropbox', accessible from any PC anywhere, even if the house is destroyed. Reminds me. I must store one major back up drive off site!

Hope you haven't actually 'lost' anything.

No, no back ups for anything since we came to the UK. Photos are still on the cameras, some things are saved because I had emailed them, and some things on cloud, other than that it's all gone. The database of Buckler ownerships is now back to the version which doesn't include latest concrete knowledge (which is now just based on what I can remember, so subject to errors). All the documents are gone, including the first few thousand words of something I was collating. Yes i should know better.

Hi Rhys,
    What a frustration! I hope you can retrieve most of your pic's etc.
    I am going out tomorrow to buy a 1 terabyte hard drive to back all my stuff up.
    Wishing you luck in retrieving what you can.
    Kind regards
    Paul

Suggest you get 2 back up drives! B1 & B2. It is $200 well spent.

Just as a matter of making it easy and quicker, ALL my data - pics, data, music, downloaded programmes etc. is stored on one section of my computer ('F' Drive) and all programmes (Windows 10, Microsoft office, Photoshop, Cyberlink etc.) on the 'C' drive.

Backing up the F drive only, to a 1Tb drive is then easier. Programmes are far less precious than data.

Back up the first time to B1. Back up a week/month or whenever later, to B2. Then back to B1 again - but create a new folder each time.

What that means is that B1 has back up 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. B2 has back up 2, 4, 6 , 8.

Store one of them off site if you can. You can delete earlier versions but maybe you need an 'Archive' section on each!

Yes, its a pain, but the pain of losing a month or more of data is even worse. We have all done it.

I even take a 1Tb drive with me when travelling so I have access to older data or pics, depending on the trip, then download to the lap top from the cameras, then to the back up drive, even if only temporarily, until I get back home to the PC. I used to back up to CD/DVD but have given that up now. They seem unreliable.

Best of luck though Rhys, and if there is anything any of us are likely to have that you need, just sing out.
    Last edited by ERC; 10-13-2017 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks, Steve...

It's been a bit of a problem for me, but as far as I know it didn't affect my computer.