Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodwood Revival - 2018

Goodwood Revival - 2018

Due to a severe and totally unexpected hiccup, our travel plans have had to change for 2018.

It may well mean that a solo return to Goodwood for the Revival is a possibility.

Obviously, I can't do much just yet and having checked out Monterey on the way out, I have decided it will be well outside my budget. (Sorry Ken.)

The dates haven't yet been announced and Goodwood dribbles info through slowly - so I am guessing it will be Sept 7 - 9th, unless someone knows for sure.

I note that they have now added another level below GRRC, but as it doesn't include paddock access, for 39GBP, I'll skip it.

Anyone else pencilling it in?

Hopefully, this thread will stay alive - even if I have to keep bumping it myself.

This event is on my bucket list, as is the Members Meeting. But I don't know that 2018 would be possible for me. My wife and I are spending a couple of months in Europe from December this year so I doubt the budget could stretch to going across twice in one year.

The Member's meeting would also be great, but at that time of the year, not exactly the best time to be away from NZ in terms of weather.

No, thats for sure Ray!

Bump...

Anyone else considering it? I have my air fares booked and paid for, car hire arranged. New long lens for the camera - which might turn out to be a burden due to the weight, but may also give some extra possibilities as to viewing location. I may opt to use it on the Friday only, to grab a shot of most cars, as there is more track action in terms of the number of cars out on track Friday, than any other day.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes. I have ordered Goodwood tickets and have the air tickets in my possession, plus car hire and accommodation has been organized.
    Dale.

Much of the accommodation in the area is either booked out already or very expensive.

In the past, I have travelled from Bournemouth (my youngest brother lives there), Petworth or Southampton. Also stayed at Hayling Island for a Goodwood Festival.

Ibis at Portsmouth is booked out but I have just managed to get into the Ibis Budget in Portsmouth.

I have decided to leave the 600mm lens at home. Just too heavy to lug around for a day - especially if the car has to be parked some distance away. Being at the track from about 7:30am when the gates open is hard on the feet, without that extra weight. Poor weather is also a potential problem.
    Last edited by ERC; 02-09-2018 at 01:29 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I have accommodation booked through AirBNB. Fifteen minutes away and reasonably priced.
    Dale.

Just a reminder. Saturday tickets likely to be sold out next week.

I look forward to the entry lists being published but it looks as though the programme will be similar to previous years - which means that the Sussex Trophy is once again the very last on the programme.

I'm still debating on whether or not it will be worth lugging the 2.5kg 600mm lens along, even if I only use it for one of the two race days, or even half a day, twice.

Day 1 - practice, I'll do the whole track with the 300mm lens, but this time, clockwise - weather permitting. This means more shots of more cars than either of the other days and also the programme moves a lot quicker with fewer delays whilst you are stuck out in no-man's land, away from the displays and stands.

The Beaulieu Auto Jumble is on the weekend before Goodwood. It makes a great back to back weekend and is in the same neck of the woods.https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/in...al-autojumble/

Will be doing Beaulieu (yet again) the day before Goodwood and the Haynes Museum near Yeovil and the Morgan Factor tour the day before that.

Now a toss up between Jaguar Solihull or the Coventry Transport Museum the day before. I'm leaning towards Coventry as I really enjoyed that last time - and it is free and on my way through.

Bumped to see who else is going! Alan Horner is one I know of and hopefully, John Hudson will be there.

I look forward to see if any kiwis are competing this year, as it was a real bonus to see 4 Formula Junior racers when I last went in 2016.

Now our local season has effectively wound down, looking forward to September.
    Last edited by ERC; 06-08-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Bumped to see who else is going! Alan Horner is one I know of and hopefully, John Hudson will be there.

I look forward to the see if any kiwis are competing this year, as it was a real bonus to see 4 Formula Junior racers when I last went in 2016.

Now our local season has effectively wound down, looking forward to September.
    Sharon & I will be attending this year. Looking forward to it (obviously), but may need to buy a new camera for the three days. We will be staying in Emsworth, on the coast just south of Goodwood.
    John Bennoch

Semi-Pro Racer
    My tickets have arrived.
    Dale.

Friday7th September

KinraraTrophy (60 mins – two driver)
    The now traditional Revival curtain-raiser, the Kinrara Trophy will once again feature a beautiful grid of closed-cockpit, 3-litre or over, GT cars of a type thatraced before. With a grid of Ferrari 250 SWBs, Aston Martin DB4GTs and Jaguar E-types all vying for top honours
    Saturday8th September

FordwaterTrophy (20 mins)
    Open to production-based sports and GT cars in the spirit of the original GoodwoodMembers’ Meetings, the Fordwater Trophy returns for the first time since 2015. To mark the 70th anniversary of the Jaguar XK120, the FordwaterTrophy will feature a large collection of the iconic sports car
    BarrySheene Memorial Trophy, Part 1 (25 mins – two rider)
    Part one of the two-part race for pre-1959 motorcycles of a type that raced before 1959,featuring some of the biggest names in motorcycling racing sharing the saddlesof bikes whose ages eclipse the majority of their owners with the owners themselves. Guy Martin made his Goodwood debut last year, sharing with regular Glen English
    St Mary’s Trophy presented by Motul – part 1 (25 mins)
    The St Mary’sTrophy is the Revival’s second double header, with a pro/am driver lineup sharing some of the greatest saloon cars of the 1960s. One of the most popular races of the weekend, Saturday’s encounter sees tin-top stars past and presentgo wheel-to-wheel
    GoodwoodTrophy (20 mins)
    Another Revival Regular, the Goodwood Trophy turns back the clock nearly 90 years as Grand Prix & Voiturette cars from 1930-‘51 prepare to slide their way around Goodwood’s curves and contours
    WhitsunTrophy (25 mins)
    Brutish unlimitedsports cars from before 1966 go head-to-head in the fastest race of the weekend. Ford GT40s, Lola T70 Spyders, Lotus 30s and McLaren M1Bs
    Freddie March Memorial Trophy (20 mins)
    With stunning examples of Aston Martins, Ferraris, Jaguars and Maseratis driving into the sunset, the Freddie March Memorial Trophy harks back to the Goodwood Nine Hourraces of 1952, ‘53 and ’55. This endurance-racing retrospective provides a fantastic conclusion to the first full day of racing
    Sunday9th September

ChichesterCup (20 mins)
    Sunday morning kicks off with a swarm of Formula Juniors competing for the hotly contested Chichester Cup. This year the Chichester Cup caters for Formula Juniors disc braked, between 1960 and ‘63.
    Richmond & Gordon Trophies (20 mins)
    Running for two-and-a-half-litre Grand Prix cars of a type that raced between 1952 and ’60,the Richmond and Gordon Trophies celebrate one of the most beautiful eras of Grand Prix history. With examples from Maserati, Ferrari and BRM all expected to be present
    BarrySheene Memorial Trophy, part 2 (25 mins – two rider)
    Motorcycle fans get a second slice of the action as the two-wheeled warriors prepare for another 25 minutes of Grand Prix excitement. Overall finishing positions will be decided in part two of the two-leg competition, and Saturday’s winners will be hoping for similar results to hang on to their advantage
    StMary’s Trophy presented by Motul – part 2 (25 mins)
    The owners get the keys to their tin-top classics back from the professional drivers in the second part of the St Mary’s Trophy for saloon cars from 1960-66. With theowners racing these cars regularly across the year.
    RoyalAutomobile Club TT Celebration (60 mins – two-driver)
    The jewel in the crown of the Revival, the Royal Automobile Club TT Celebration has been a firm fan favourite since the very first Revival in 1998. Open to closed-cockpit GTcars in the spirit of the RAC TT races from 1960 to ‘64
    GloverTrophy (20 mins)
    Sleek rear-engined Grand Prix cars of a type that raced from 1961 to ‘65 take centre stage for the Glover Trophy. Since 2010, the race has been dominated by Lotus machinery, but machines from Brabham, BRM, Cooper and Ferrari will be amongst the challengers looking to buck the trend and take the victory lap at the endof the race.
    SussexTrophy (25 mins)
    Now firmly established as the curtain-closer to the Revival, the Sussex Trophy, features sportscars and production sports-racing cars of a type that raced between 1955and ‘60. Featuring Jaguar D-types, Costin & Knobbly-bodied Listers alongside Coopers, Ferraris and Maseratis, the Sussex Trophy brings a glamorous end to a weekend of motorsport marvels.
    Last edited by ERC; 07-04-2018 at 01:55 AM.

I gather they have now added The Jack Sears Trophy for 1958 saloons to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the inaugural British Touring car championship.

Fantastic news from my point of view.

This is in addition to the St Mary's Trophy, not replacing it. It was a bit confusing on the Goodwood website so I sought clarification from them. I'll be cheering for the Riley 1.5s...

Festival of Speed - live coverage:

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/event-...fos-live-blog/

Revival entry list now on their website.

Was at Beaulieu today. A note on the vacant space that their V16 BRM is not in the Museum as it will be at Goodwood... I don't think it is racing but I do hope it is at least running.

Yesterday, at Sparkford, the first car I saw was being driven by the workshop manager (Bradley), the ex-Bira, Rob Walker Delahaye - being prepared for Goodwood, which celebrates Rob Walker. Incidentally, Bradley's assistant is a Kiwi... (I think I have a small print of Dad's, with Bira driving - but not a very sharp picture.)

Name:  218_0905_001 Delahaye.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  89.2 KB

Goodwood tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday. I think the cameras are going to get plenty of stick.

I already have a pile of pics from Grimsthorpe, Donington, Gaydon, Morgan, Sparkford and Beaulieu to sort so il be busy for months.
    Last edited by ERC; 09-06-2018 at 07:07 PM.