Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Racing from late 70's and 80's

Classic Racing from late 70's and 80's

I have been scanning some of my early "classic" type racing photos I shot in the late 70's to mid 80's and thought I would start a new thread for them.
    At that time there were far fewer cars prepared purely for racing and it was more of an opportunity for people to take their road cars out for a run on the track. There were quite a few sprint events also where cars ran usually in two's and gave people with no racing experience, a run without the pressure of too many cars around them.

These photos are in no particular order and if anyone else has photos to add, please feel free to post them - the more the merrier. I'm sure we would all love to see them.

Name:  Cooper-Bristol-Puke-87.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  Ferrari-Paton-Ford-Puke85.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  137.1 KB

Name:  Aton-Martin-Puke-.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  129.9 KB

Name:  Brooklands-Riley-Puke-87.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  Buckler-SweeperSprint-1982.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  146.2 KB

Name:  Daimler-SP250-Puke-87.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  143.9 KB

Great photos Ross - keep em coming

Thanks Nigel - not as crisp as the work you do today with the modern digital gear etc, but the best I could produce at the time.

Here's a few from 1980 Country Gents Meeting Wigram 1980

Name:  1980-Ferrari-Wigram.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  143.4 KB

Name:  Jag-and-Daytona.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  P3-Wigram-1980.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  Maserati-Wigram-80.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  Mk-2-Jaguar-Wigram-80.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  150.2 KB

Name:  White-Special-Wigram-80.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  116.9 KB

Great stuff Ross. Seems silly now, but we didn't even know about the annual VCC Chelsea Hill Climb until I went over one day, to investigate the lovely sounds drifting over the valley! Must have missed a fair few.

Thanks for starting this thread. I won't add to it, though I will be diving in regularly. Having the year on the pic label will probably be a huge help to me in my ongoing quest for dating my own slides.

Some great facial images that we don't often get these days.
    Last edited by ERC; 04-15-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Cheers Ray - you are welcome to add to it anytime although there are plenty of similar shots on your thread which are great viewing.
    Some of the dates could be a 'bit vague' especially around the mid 80's as I was out of NZ a lot around then.
    If I was in the country I would usually take a camera with me and take a few at a few select events if they were of interest.
    Around 1988 I had a burglary and much of my 35mm gear was stolen. So as I could see digital photography arriving at a rate of knots I sold all my large format gear as well.
    I also later sold all my darkroom equipment to a young lady who was studying photography at secondary school. She told me that she was then, better equipped than her school, after the purchase!
    Fortunately all of my negatives have survived and I must admit using Photoshop and other software is just as satisfying to me as messing around with all the chemicals etc - too Old School, but just as time consuming!

This lovely car lives in Northland now, and is a neat bit of gear, sounds great, New owner ran it at Northland Car Club 60th Anniversary couple years back at Doctors Hill Ruakaka. 2nd photo is Doctors Hill
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    This lovely car lives in Northland now, and is a neat bit of gear, sounds great, New owner ran it at Northland Car Club 60th Anniversary couple years back at Doctors Hill Ruakaka. 2nd photo is Doctors Hill
    Lovely car was built by Bill Barber in the deep south - now builds very attractive aircraft

Bill built a few cars. One was a V8 powered one (road car) which is thought to have been around Rotorua/ Taupo at some time. Info leading to it would be very gratefully received. (Following from post #13 and #9)

Brilliant stuff Ross. So envious that you were able to take such great pics so long ago! More please.

Memories some well known cars and drivers

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Name:  Singer-Chelsea-88.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  Superch.-MG-Chelsea-88.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  Brown-Coupe-Chelsea-88.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  143.5 KB

Name:  Max-Fisher-Chelsea-88.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  TR3-Puke-87.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  Alfa-Romeo-Chelsea-88.jpg
Views: 1480
Size:  132.0 KB
    Ross, memories indeed,
    The Chelsea Hillclimb, the Ford V8 Coupe, was !/ it is that Rob Williams one, remember the car well and have several photos of it.
    Max Fisher, he and son Craig bought a Sprite off me in 1980, the project a left hooker that had been wrecked with unoriginal headlights mounted on the guards and a fuel tank in the boot, not underslung, loose floo panels. EC 4802, rebuilt by Max and Craig and then rebuilt again in the late 1980's by Ross Hollings.
    The car is now in Japan [since 1990 ]
    Max also provided the car products that I used as pries at the 1990 AHCCNZ Rally at Pukekohe,and you were there in HL 3000

cheers and thanks for the photos.