Thread: Stateside "Stuff"

World Champion

Stateside "Stuff"

When I read of low temps. and a lot of rain on some threads you would not want to trade for what we have here around the Santa Barbara area. It has been a long and frustrating period over the last 10 days and there seems to be more in the coming days. Wind driven fires although 30 miles from our home in Los Olivos, are only about 10 miles from my work Goleta. Some have lost everything when their homes can't be saved and others we know have been very fortunate. With ash and smoke and everyone wearing masks and roads being deserted it looks like a war zone at times.
    We had a scare when we got an alarm to evacuate last Sunday morning at 2 am only to be told 10 minutes later that was a false alarm ! It is hard to decide what to take in a quick evacuation. Do I take the 1962 Mini Cooper or the 2016 Honda as I could not get both out in time !.
    One poor guy had won a prize on the Sunday at a car show for his Mitsubishi Galant VR 4 and then on the Tuesday night the garage and part of the house were destroyed by fire.
    I hear of many restoration projects that just can't be rescued before the fires come in pushed by 30 to 50 mile an hour winds. It is a scary time but we hope the worst is behind us.
    Here are some scenes from around here. Plus a local newspaper site.
    Name:  Mitsi Galant before the fire..jpg
Views: 612
Size:  57.2 KB
    The Mitsi. Galant VR 4 before the fire.

Name:  Fire Damaged garage. Dec. 2017.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  79.6 KB
    How it looked after the fire. So sad.

Scenes like this get my attention as I drive to work. (These pilots are very brave.)
    Name:  Santa Barbara-Thomas-Fire-Tanker-me-1000x667.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  85.6 KB
    (Noozhawk news photo)

Plus some local news at this site.
    https://www.noozhawk.com/article/inc...op_thomas_fire

(Ken Hyndman ) Perhaps it is time to get away and visit Aotearoa..
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Even what it does to the sky and the sun is frightening, Ken, with the scope of what's happening there it would be very frightening...

Real 'end of the world' stuff. I hope they get those fires out soon, but all the drought over the last few years won't be helping.

Scary times. Stay safe Ken.

I do hope the fires stay well clear of you and yours Ken. The fires more north around Napa and Santa Rosa were also very bad earlier this year. Safe wishes from Kiwiland!!!

Hi Ken,

There is nothing more frightening than when nature turns on the people. I hope you and all your friends and family are free of this devastation from here on.

Bruce.

Weekend Warrior
    Roger's Forge suburb, just north of Baltimore City
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Hi Ken,

There is nothing more frightening than when nature turns on the people. I hope you and all your friends and family are free of this devastation from here on.

Bruce.
    We are all thinking of you.............at least on this side of the US.......the non-shaky side....all we have to deal with is the odd snowstorm and to ensure that our bullrt=proof vests are up to the mark!!

World Champion
    I would like to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. We are certainly hoping the worst is behind us.
    This will give you an idea of the scope of current fire.
    Acres Burned - Containment: 252,500 acres - 35% contained
    Structures Threatened: 18,000 structures threatened
    Structures Destroyed: 972 Structures Destroyed, 218 Structures Damaged
    Total Fire Personnel: 8,369
    Total Fire Engines: 1,012
    Total Fire Crews: 158
    Total Helicopters: 32
    Total Dozers: 78
    Total Water Tenders: 62
    and now sadly one young firefighter has died fighting the blaze.

Plus this is meant to be our rainy season and there is no rain in sight !

(Ken H )

Our thoughts are with you all over there. Counting our blessings.

Indeed, Ken, my thoughts and best wishes with everybody affected.

Ken, had seen some of the footage on the news and hearing about the effect of the fires, Stay safe Mate and as Ray and Rhys have said, thoughts are with you and others in your part of the world.

P.S. went through [near ] your part of your old world the other day from Omokoroa, through Bethlehem and over the Kaimai's, Matamata, Waharoa, and on to Auckland.
    Take care

Roger D

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Ken, had seen some of the footage on the news and hearing about the effect of the fires, Stay safe Mate and as Ray and Rhys have said, thoughts are with you and others in your part of the world.

P.S. went through [near ] your part of your old world the other day from Omokoroa, through Bethlehem and over the Kaimai's, Matamata, Waharoa, and on to Auckland.
    Take care

Roger D
    Ken, I saw the death notice for Mrs. Swap in the paper the other day, I see the Swap company name as part of your quarry these day's, she was 103 year's of age, I used to work on Joe's truck's when I started my apprenticeship, thought this may be of interest. Keep the tank's full & all the best for Christmas.

Joe Swap was on the local council when my dad was town clerk in Matamata. Small world.

World Champion
    All your kind inputs have made me homesick.
    Due to issues beyond my control plus I get time off for good behavior, I am being released for a few days next month which will allow me to attend the Historic F 5000 and Sedan race meet at Taupo from Jan 19th to Sunday Jan 21.
    I am hoping to meet up with some of you finally.
    Just look out for a hunched up old kiwi waddling around ready to discuss any handling or transmission issues with a Trojan. (The 1973 Formula 5000 type ! )
    Name:  1974 Autosport. 1973 Trojan.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  82.9 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-19-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Excellent news Ken, Looking forward to catching up again. but you'd better straighten up and fly right son......

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Due to issues beyond my control plus I get time off for good behavior, I am being released for a few days next month which will allow me to attend the Historic F 5000 and Sedan race meet at Taupo from Jan 19th to Sunday Jan 21.
    Just look out for a hunched up old kiwi waddling around ready to discuss any handling or transmission issues with a Trojan. (The 1973 Formula 5000 type ! )

( Ken Hyndman )
    So its finally time to have a beer over the Monaro slam panel, last done in 1969.
    What did you drink then Ken and still like chilled cherries with it?
    Trojan chassis and XA Coupe chassis both the same in 1973.....
    btw= from Dale....all Beer AFTER daily racing
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-20-2017 at 01:01 AM.

World Champion
    John,
    The beer was whatever we could get from the "Top Pub"..was it DB Brown back then ?
    We just need Spinner, Terry Scott, John Paton, Alex ? Greg Tordoff, Bob Summerill plus a toast to Rod Coppins and any others who were involved to join us at the Monaro slam panel.
    That would be a truly Historic Meeting !
    Ken

Will start sending the invites out.......Himself returns for a Special One Off Appearance

( Ken Hyndman )
    Hi Ken, Good news that you are getting a pass to come home. Bad news is I will be in the Cromwell that weekend. It was cool to spend time with you at Laguna this year so sorry I will miss this visit. Bruce will look after you and catch up next time you’re over. Regards Dave

World Champion
    As we race toward Christmas and 2018 I wanted to wish everyone a happy and enjoyable holiday.
    Stay safe and healthy and I thank you for not throwing me off this forum !
    You are a wonderful bunch and I wish you all the best.
    Ken H.
    Name:  Christmas. 2017..jpg
Views: 334
Size:  75.1 KB

As we race toward Christmas and 2018 I wanted to wish everyone a happy and enjoyable holiday.
    Stay safe and healthy and I thank you for not throwing me off this forum !
    You are a wonderful bunch and I wish you all the best.
    Ken H.
    Name:  Christmas. 2017..jpg
Views: 334
Size:  75.1 KB
    Right Back at you Ken H,we have never met, that we remember but have a lot in common, Have a Great Christmas, hope those fires don't set your Marshmallows alight, I can't see me getting to Taupo, but who knows .. would love to .. regardless .. enjoy the festive season and your trip to NZ .. having a beer with you as I write this.

Roger D,

and to all the TRS family, safe travels and have a good one, the Boys in Blue are on my Pukekohe thread keeping an eye on you all ..so thought bring over to here too !!

Name:  Pukekohe 1967 NZGP Mini, Anglia, A40 Police car .   CCI04092015 (2).jpg
Views: 348
Size:  164.2 KB

anyway I am outta here .. quickly .. well slideways ..

Name:  AHCCNZ events #101 RJD Te Toro Feb 1981_1 (3) (640x436).jpg
Views: 349
Size:  94.5 KB