Thread: Stateside "Stuff"

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion

Stateside "Stuff"

When I read of low temps. and a lot of rain on some threads you would not want to trade for what we have here around the Santa Barbara area. It has been a long and frustrating period over the last 10 days and there seems to be more in the coming days. Wind driven fires although 30 miles from our home in Los Olivos, are only about 10 miles from my work Goleta. Some have lost everything when their homes can't be saved and others we know have been very fortunate. With ash and smoke and everyone wearing masks and roads being deserted it looks like a war zone at times.
    We had a scare when we got an alarm to evacuate last Sunday morning at 2 am only to be told 10 minutes later that was a false alarm ! It is hard to decide what to take in a quick evacuation. Do I take the 1962 Mini Cooper or the 2016 Honda as I could not get both out in time !.
    One poor guy had won a prize on the Sunday at a car show for his Mitsubishi Galant VR 4 and then on the Tuesday night the garage and part of the house were destroyed by fire.
    I hear of many restoration projects that just can't be rescued before the fires come in pushed by 30 to 50 mile an hour winds. It is a scary time but we hope the worst is behind us.
    Here are some scenes from around here. Plus a local newspaper site.
    Name:  Mitsi Galant before the fire..jpg
Views: 612
Size:  57.2 KB
    The Mitsi. Galant VR 4 before the fire.

Name:  Fire Damaged garage. Dec. 2017.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  79.6 KB
    How it looked after the fire. So sad.

Scenes like this get my attention as I drive to work. (These pilots are very brave.)
    Name:  Santa Barbara-Thomas-Fire-Tanker-me-1000x667.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  85.6 KB
    (Noozhawk news photo)

Plus some local news at this site.
    https://www.noozhawk.com/article/inc...op_thomas_fire

(Ken Hyndman ) Perhaps it is time to get away and visit Aotearoa..
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.