Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blast from the Past

Here is one for Grant Ellwood which shows B.Harvie in Cooper S # 77 and Bryan Faloon in his Anglia # 57 cornering at different angles !
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]49085[/ATTACH

Ken, thanks for the #57 Anglia pic, I'll add it to my collection! Nice coincidence that Brian Harvie is in the frame too, he owned the Peter Bennett A40 prior to Peter acquiring it. Currently prepping the Farina for the coming season here.

Name:  IMG_4272.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  115.0 KB

Why I'm not in the workshop this week....

Hi Grant, damn that is cold, I don't blame you for not going into the shed, does it get that cold every year ?

Bruce.

Zero here in Tamworth UK today, but that was celsius so quite a bit warmer than that. Thank goodness for the heater I culd get under the car and bring the steering closer to how it was.Name:  Quadrilette.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  82.2 KB

Not quite the horsepower of an aero engine though

World Champion
    What became of this Buckler and driver from this 1964 Ahuriri race incident ?

Name:  1964-55_0 - Copy.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  168.2 KB

(Ken H)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Hi Grant, damn that is cold, I don't blame you for not going into the shed, does it get that cold every year ?

Bruce.
    Hi Bruce, I've never seen it that cold before, minus 8C would be the lowest in my part of Virginia. I took the photo at 8am but it was a bit colder at 6am - minus 20C. Bugger! I'm looking forward to moving to coastal North Carolina this year.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    What became of this Buckler and driver from this 1964 Ahuriri race incident ?

Name:  1964-55_0 - Copy.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  168.2 KB

(Ken H)
    From the Motorman report

Name:  img707 (2).jpg
Views: 979
Size:  84.6 KB

That is the Buckler made as an "authorised copy" by Dennis Lyndesay and his brother in law Ray Tyler. They bought the bits for one car, and with agreement from Buckler NZ who couldn't supply enough to meet demand made a similar chassis, but mainly straight tubes. Graham Thomas, is who many of folks on here know as Dewar. He made a number of changes to the car largely in suspension. After selling he moved to Europe and his place in the F1 scene.
    He told me some time ago that there was extensive damage, and that it was dismantled for parts. What became of the chassis and body is unknown. It does not appear to have surfaced again after that.

My buddy just sent a car to Westminster Mass, -20 c there too. I do a lot of stuff but not below zero.
    Good luck with the move, should be a bit better out there.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Hi Bruce, I've never seen it that cold before, minus 8C would be the lowest in my part of Virginia. I took the photo at 8am but it was a bit colder at 6am - minus 20C. Bugger! I'm looking forward to moving to coastal North Carolina this year.

You're into hot rod's now ?

B

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Zero here in Tamworth UK today, but that was celsius so quite a bit warmer than that. Thank goodness for the heater I culd get under the car and bring the steering closer to how it was.Name:  Quadrilette.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  82.2 KB

Not quite the horsepower of an aero engine though

Yes Bruce, the roaring power of a whole 635 (or thereabouts) cc. 0 to 30 time of "eventually".

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Yes Bruce, the roaring power of a whole 635 (or thereabouts) cc. 0 to 30 time of "eventually".
    ...and I see 6 wheel nuts, that's ambitious, and "eventually" can be a long time, not that many hills there either

Six stud wheels in low powered cars were not unknown...

Morris 8/40, for instance.

Name:  Morris 8-40.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  79.8 KB

Is this the vehicle ? I suppose the engineering was in it's infancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Six stud wheels in low powered cars were not unknown...

Morris 8/40, for instance.

Aussie only car, known as Morris 8 everywhere else.
    It is commonly believed that the '40' represented the fuel consumption of 40 mpg at 40 mph (but may refer to 40ft.lbs torque) and the '8' naturally signified 8 horsepower RAC rating.-http://www.bmcexperience.com.au/bmce-issue6/morris-8-40
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-08-2018 at 07:13 PM.

World Champion
    Do those figures relate to what is on the steps or what is at the top of the steps ?

Yes, 40mpg was the reason...

Buick also had an 8/40 IIRC, being 8 cylinders and 40 RAC HP.

There were a few Morris 8/40s in my family over the years. My dad recalled driving mum's father's utility from Taree to Sydney and back during the war with his mother and mum's mother in the front with him, mum (then in her late teens) and one each of her sisters and brothers in the slipstream in the back. It broke a front spring on the return journey.

Later mum had a tourer as her first car in the late fifties and my sister had a sedan as her first car in the early sixties.

No Buicks, unfortunately...
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 01-08-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Do those figures relate to what is on the steps or what is at the top of the steps ?
    Sometimes, Ken, a cigar is just a cigar

I think it's quite ironic that my little Peugeot has 6 wheel studs and later the saloons such as 203, 403, 404 all had 3!
    55 mpg for the Quadrilette.

But on a much larger PCD...

Just as the Austin 7 had three wheel studs vs the Morris with 6, but with a larger PCD. The greater irony is that the Austins had slots!

I think early Lotus models had the Morris stud pattern, which was the cause of concern at Le Mans with the first 23 back in 1962 when they had 4-stud wheels at one end and 6-stud at the other. The demand to make them the same led to it having 4-stud wheels all round and the French reaction to that was, "If it needed six before, four is not enough!"

So Chapman went home and never went back again.

But I'm not certain it was the Morris PCD. From memory the Lotus was on a 3.5" PCD.

And while comparing Peugeots, the 203, 403, and 404 commercials (utilities and wagons) had 5-stud on the same 5.5" PCD as a number of pre-war US cars, Ford to 1947, F100 etc, Jeeps, some Japanese 4WDs, Imperials and bigger Chryslers and some of the later Chrysler commercials. With hefty 16mm studs on the Pugs IIRC, too. The 504 and 505 wagons, however, came back to to the same 4-stud pattern that the 504 and 504 sedans wore.

Mind you, there's little rhyme or reason to it all. Some Citroen ID/DS models had just one wheel nut while others have five studs, and these early Peugeots didn't seem to rely on bolts to hold the wheels on at all:

Probably their Bugatti parentage... while your 6-stud pattern adorns this 1922 model:

Last edited by Ray Bell; 10-07-2018 at 01:15 PM.