Thread: Alan McCully's Brabham BT 38C

World Champion

Allan McCully's Brabham BT 38C

I moved this to this forum. (KH)..See New Members Forum for Ron Sanen's contact information

Allan McCully

Hello, I'm new on this forum.

I'm a big Alfa Romeo fan and did a lot of racing with saloon cars until 3 years ago when I bought my first Formula 3 car.
    A Dallara F392 with an Alfa Novamotor.
    Last year I bought in Italy a Brabham Bt38c (chassisnumber 18) with an Alfa 2 litre engine. The car was untouched for more than 40 years and has to be restored completely. Since I have the car I'm trying to trace the history of this Formula 3 car. Untill now I know that the first driver in 1972 was Alan McCully of New Zealand who drove in the AIRO team together with Alan Jones in the British F3 championship. Later in the season it was Damian Magee who drove the Brabham.
    It would be great to find some pictures of that time so I can repaint the car in the original color sheme. It would even be greater to get in contact with Mr. McCully!
    The original Ford engine was changed in '73 or '74 by an Alfa engine prepared by Gianni Reggiani of Modena. I have some pictures of the car in a hillclimb with Italian Bruno Battel at the steering wheel.

With kind regards,

Ron Sanen
    Belgium.

Ron Gta

Ron Gta is offline Weekend Warrior
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-04-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: .

World Champion
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-04-2018 at 08:37 PM.

World Champion
    1972 Airo Formula 3Team.
    Alan Jones # 5, Brian McGuire # 6 and Allan McCully # 7
    Name:  1972 F3 Team.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  153.8 KB

Name:  1972 F 2. McCully.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  178.9 KB
    Allan McCully flings his arm in the air just before the errant wheel from Albera's Martini hits the Brabham, James Hunt's March manages to avoid the accident at Silverstone. April 23 1972.

Thanks Ken! Yes these are famous pics. It's a shame they are not in colour.

World Champion
    Ron,
    There is some history information on the Jones and McCully cars at this site.
    http://www.oldracingcars.com/results...?RaceID=F372MC

Brabham BT38C [18] (Allan McCully): New to Allan McCully and raced as part of the Australian International Racing Organisation (AIRO) in British F3 and some European events in 1972. Badly damaged on its debut at Silverstone in April but presumably repaired and the car driven by McCully at Monaco in mid-May. Then raced by Bill McGovern at Brands Hatch two weeks later, after which it was entered for McCully at Formula Atlantic races but did not appear. Reappeared at the end of July as an AIRO entry again but now driven by Irishman Damien Magee. This would be the "ex Magee" BT38C of Leif Spalding in Swedish F3 in 1973. Then with Thorbjörn Carlsson in 1975 and 1976. Subsequent history unknown.

Brabham BT38C [12] (Alan Jones): New to Alan Jones and raced as part of the Australian International Racing Organisation in British F3 and some European events in 1972. The team often failed to arrive at races and finally vanished in June. In October, Jones' BT38C reappeared owned by Larry Sevitt and raced by London wheeler-dealer John MacDonald. Unknown in 1973 and may have been sold to the US as a Formula B car.

( Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-04-2018 at 11:34 PM.

IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/j800er.jpg[/IMG]
    Engine and gearbox are already overhauled.

World Champion
    Ron,
    I came across this "Motor Sport Magazine" article about Alan Jones and his early racing career in England. I almost went to Ealing to see him about accommodation in 1973 but found a place near my work in Croydon. That would have been an unforgettable experience !
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...nch-alan-jones

I also thought that looking at the black and white photo of the 3 car AIRO Race team that they could possibly be Yellow. I noted that McCully won a race/heat at Crystal Palace. I checked a YouTube videos and saw this # 5 car in the background and got excited but I think it is the wrong year and not the McCully or Jones car. Oh well I tried !

Name:  1971 F3 # 5.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  1971 F3 # 5...jpg
Views: 842
Size:  116.5 KB

Looking forward to seeing photos of your car.
    Cheers,
    Ken.
    p.s. Perhaps you could find a way to contact Alan Jones through Australian TV etc. and he may remember the original colour for you. I imagine he would be most interested in your restoration effort.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Too good to be true but a very good effort Ken.

I had contact with Alan Jones but he forgot almost everything of that era :-(
    Last edited by Ron Gta; 01-09-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Strange that nobody can find a picture of McCully at the Monaco F3 Grand Prix in 1972...