Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Taupo Historic Grand Prix. 2018

Probably Ken, all for you!
    And of course the bikes were there, as they were back when. I have a pic of , amongst others, Hugh Anderson on the grid at the NZGP.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Rhys there are so many events on here at present that the various organisers are trying to whip up some enthusiasm by giving their meetings some grandiose titles. The "Tasman Revival" meetings are a good example-there are very few (if any) cars racing that would have competed at a Tasman Cup meeting. This weekend we have Leadfoot, the TRS series at Taupo and the stock car teams champs in Palmerston North. If I had to bet on who will get the greatest number of spectators my money would be on the stockcars. The grandstand and embankment seats (at $65 and $55 respectively) sold out days ago. There will probably be more spectators there than there have been at all the circuits combined in the last month!

HRC have used the 'Tasman Revival' name for well over a decade. MGCC traditionally had an end January meeting (including Whangarei 2000) and the F5000's, at that stage were very much at the beginning of their own 'revival'. Over time, HRC took over the end January date and instigated the 'Tasman Revival' as a regular name, used at HD, Pukekoke, Taupo and Hampton Downs.

In the same way they created the 'Living Legends' as an ongoing title and trophies bear the names of either past or current legends.

rf84, you are probably right regarding crowd numbers and they generally get good numbers at Western Springs too. It's a bit like 1 day cricket I suppose - action.

It appeals on several fronts and number one is usually track action that can be seen from every part of the stadium. Western Springs races often only last a couple of minutes, but it is a slick show and we were regulars a few years ago. Even between races, there are cars on track getting started ready for the next race, so ALWAYS something to look at. Which is why people go. I suppose this really belongs in the 'What is the answer' thread...

They had jet boats at Baypark Stadium last weekend with a reported 14,000 spectators.

World Champion
    It puzzles me how folk are not interested in seeing one of the finest drivers, Ken Smith, drive his F5000 Lola. The magnificent sight and sound of the F5000 field thunder along the front straight was something that I won't forget. Ken will not be doing this for much longer and I am glad I had the opportunity to witness these Taupo events.
    Comparing this to a stockcar meet is like watching a Tiger Moth instead of a Spitfire at an airshow !
    As Fred Dagg would say " We Don't Know How Lucky We Are."

Name:  Copy of DSCN9381.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  146.5 KB
    75 year old Ken Smith leading the field along the front straight at Taupo.

(Ken Hyndman photo )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-02-2018 at 07:57 PM.

True Ken, but the crowds who go to stock cars are not exactly motorsport enthusiasts and wouldn't know the difference between a F5000 and a Formula Ford. It's a totally different sport. Try telling a NZ rugby supporter that they should be watching soccer or a Manchester United supporter they should be watching the Harlequins.

Very good points Ray and Ken. Our cricket team is about to start a T20 series with Aussie and England. I will be very interested in the crowd numbers, in particular the numbers in Australia as compared to here. I have noticed the crowds at NZ cricket matches have diminished in recent years yet in Aussie those huge stadiums are always at least half full.
    As an aside ask a boy racer who Ken Smith is and see what answer you get.

World Champion
    Here is a review of the Historic meet at Taupo. Jan 19-20th. 2018.

http://www.driven.co.nz/news/motorsp...pete-in-taupo/

Hi guys, Ken had done a great job on this thread about Taupo GP.
    You have a thread to discuss the problem of crowds etc, so as a suggestion why don’t you use it in lieu of this thread.

Regards
    Bruce
    Last edited by Spgeti; 02-03-2018 at 04:49 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry if I have appeared to "hijack" this Thread. The point I was trying to make is that there is NO history of Grand Prix at the Taupo track (apart from A1). F5000s never raced at Taupo until very recent times. So how can the organisers justify the title "Taupo Historic Grand Prix"?

Ken will not be doing this for much longer and I am glad I had the opportunity to witness these Taupo events.

Yep, and you came over from USA to see it.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    How did you get time to take all these photos and gas bag at the same time ?.

Your still smiling.....

Great line ups on the grid in F5000, HMC/HSC, HSS and FJs
    I'm still smiling Bruce,
    Could you put the correct names to this photo please.
    Thank you,
    Ken
    Name:  Copy of DSCN9188.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  183.4 KB
    Ken H photo.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-03-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Sean McCaughan, Fleetwood Mustang and 71 Falcon GT, Glenn Allingham, 70 Camaro SS, Ritchie Malam, 67 Mustang Notchback, Brett Pearce, 68 Holden Monaro “Bathurst “. All good guys and really cool cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Sorry if I have appeared to "hijack" this Thread. The point I was trying to make is that there is NO history of Grand Prix at the Taupo track (apart from A1). F5000s never raced at Taupo until very recent times. So how can the organisers justify the title "Taupo Historic Grand Prix"?
    most probably because it has 'historic' cars as in F5000. they don't have meetings at Puke where original GPs were run. The GP has been all over the place of late. The theme was Historic F5000 which they are. it also comes from last year when the historic formula 1 cars ran in what was a reinactment of days gone by. I beleive we may have them back in numbers next year if things work out. Also it is in Taupo so hence the name. Taupo (were it is) Historic (older cars) Grand Prix ( a name). reckon it is sweet, gives it a stand alone name. cheers.

Oh and was great to catch up with Ken and all you other great people, boys had busy weekend, but thats how it goes sometimes.