Thread: Dan Gurney

Dan Gurney

I've just seen a post on facebook concerning the death of Dan Gurney. RIP Dan - fly like an eagle.

One of my heroes.

RIP indeed. The V12 Gurney Eagle Weslake was the best looking F1 car of its time.

Name:  217_0706_072 Eagle.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  105.6 KB

I don't think it is still on, but back in July, the Petersen Museum in LA (Hollywood) had a large AAR Eagle exhibition. Superb. Voted the World's best Car Museum by one British classic car magazine.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-16-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    A very well respected part of McLaren history. Dan drove for McLaren in F1 and Can-Am at the time when Bruce died and Denny had his nasty burns practising for Indy 500. A true gentleman and a great friend of McLaren.
    Bruce and Denn also drove Eagle cars as well.
    Dan along with Bruce and Jack Brabham the only 3 drivers who have won an F1 GP with a car bearing their own name.
    RIP Dan another great has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    I've just seen a post on facebook concerning the death of Dan Gurney. RIP Dan - fly like an eagle.
    What a loss, such an inspirational man . The all American racer. RIP Dan Gurney.

He won Grand Epreuves for Porsche, Brabham, Eagle and McLaren...

Non-title F1 races for BRM, Porsche and Eagle, various Sports Car races including Le Mans and had a Champ Car win or two in Lotus IIRC.

He won a lot of hearts, not only for his racing it seems:

Love the body language there.

But he didn't, no matter what anyone says, start the spraying of champagne by winners!

World Champion
    These photos I will treasure even more. RIP Dan.
    Name:  Dan Gurney.USGP West GP. Historic winner celebration. 1976.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  168.1 KB
    What a great line up. From left to right; Carroll Shelby, Rene Dreyfus, Stirling Moss, Maurice Trintignant, Juan Fangio, Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme and Innes Ireland getting sprayed for taking Gurney's helmet.
    March 1976.
    Name:  Dan Gurney having fun at Long Beach.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  181.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Semi-Pro Racer
    Brilliant photos Ken - what a line up. Isn't Dan credited with starting the whole "spray them with Champagne" thing?

Yes, Dan is credited with it...

But he didn't start it, certainly at the time he was claimed to have (Le Mans 1966), Racing Car News April 1966, page 19, sets the seal on that.

I can't access that...

Here is a tribute to Dan Gurney that I found.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/d...s-away-995822/

I think the F1 Eagle Weslake V12 was a great looking car. The 3 drivers who won F1 races in cars with their own names were all interlinked with each other at some stage of their careers. Maybe the juices flowed or they were just of the same ilk and were drawn to each other.

What great pics Ken and gee isn't he so correct, "These are the good old days" look at all those legends, most are gone now.....RIP Mr Gurney

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    These photos I will treasure even more. RIP Dan.
    Name:  Dan Gurney.USGP West GP. Historic winner celebration. 1976.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  168.1 KB
    What a great line up. From left to right; Carroll Shelby, Rene Dreyfus, Stirling Moss, Maurice Trintignant, Juan Fangio, Dan Gurney, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme and Innes Ireland getting sprayed for taking Gurney's helmet.
    March 1976.
    Name:  Dan Gurney having fun at Long Beach.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  181.5 KB

(Ken Hyndman photos )

And I had the privilege to meet him on several occasions myself.............such a nice man.
    Attached Images Attached Images