Thread: Leadfoot 2018

Leadfoot 2018

Going for the Sunday with Paul Madeley.

Maybe we should have a TRS catch up at some point? I'm pretty sure there will be a few of us. Somewhere near the food outlets maybe? Pick a time...

I plan on going. Would definitely like to catch up.

Bruce.

I've always wanted to go but kept putting it off because of the cost. Now I'm not so sure, they keep announcing guest drivers and vehicles that I have no interest in and there as so many of them that I'm worried the cars I am interested in will get less hill-time.

It's a great event Paul and probably my favourite NZ event these days. At $57, it sounds a lot, but half the price of the average theatre ticket and probably a quarter of the price of a decent show at the arena.

For that, you are getting action from I think 8:30am until maybe 5pm. Go to the Leadfoot website and they have the entry list up in driver alphabetical order - which I think is usually the running order. One heck of a mix of vehicles. I'm no drift fan, but the drifters look spectacular. Driving a race truck up the hill is also mind boggling as the road is very narrow. Some of the competitors are regulars and maybe they need to increase the proportion of first timers, but hey, that is my only very minor grizzle.

There is a large variety of food and drink stalls - including craft draught beer/cider. If the weather is fine, it is a great atmosphere. If wet, there is a little bit of cover, but not a lot
    Last edited by ERC; 01-22-2018 at 10:05 AM.

$57 is very reasonable for what you get but it becomes $500 by the time you factor in petrol, food and a nights accommodation. It's always the time of year when the girl's schools want their course-costs and 'donations' too. Maybe one year....

And the participants pay a lot more than that It's a fantastic event, superb organisation and each set of cars has a great mix, so that in a batch of about 20 you will have something of each "class". Open access to the pits, just fantastic. Wish I was going to be there this year too

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    And the participants pay a lot more than that It's a fantastic event, superb organisation and each set of cars has a great mix, so that in a batch of about 20 you will have something of each "class". Open access to the pits, just fantastic. Wish I was going to be there this year too
    Yes Rhys, we will miss you in the lycoming, was great to have been involved with you both when you where there.

To me its a great social spectacle with lots of cars to view and oh yeah, if entered you get to drive up his driveway?????? can't see the sense in it unless you have a hot rally car! more just a car show(or concert) in a beautiful setting. Went last year, paid the $65(I think) on the day but then myself, brother and his wife got accosted by the gate/security Gestapo whom tried to take our drinks, food and umbrella's..........(I viewed a good pile of umbrellas) got into a heated argument and just walked on though anyway............wont be going back anytime soon. I can see if it rained it would and absolute mud fest.....they've been lucky in the past. Once every five years is enough for me, you all enjoy yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    $57 is very reasonable for what you get but it becomes $500 by the time you factor in petrol, food and a nights accommodation. It's always the time of year when the girl's schools want their course-costs and 'donations' too. Maybe one year....
    We just do the one day Paul. It's the sort of event where you can just enjoy the one day for what it is and take in the atmosphere.

Haven't been able to talk myself into going yet. It's a long drive there and back and I'm not sure about drifting cars etc. Think I'll stay home again this year.

Surely Nigel a photographer with your skill and experience should have free entry with unlimited access and be welcomed with open arms at such an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Surely Nigel a photographer with your skill and experience should have free entry with unlimited access and be welcomed with open arms at such an event.
    It's not about free entry Allan. I'm more than happy to pay my way in [and usually do]. It's just that I think I prefer circuit racing and as I mentioned it's a long way to go for an event which I may not enjoy. But having said that just about all the comments I have read about the Leadfoot Festival have been glowing in their praise.

Drifting isn't my thing either, Nigel but single drifters at Leadfoot are spectacular and there are plenty of non-drifters to appeal to your innate sense of what makes a great picture, as opposed to snapshot.

The paddock and display areas are free access and there is a manned crossing near the start and also half way up the hill and a spectator bridge between them. Much as I love circuit racing, the Leadfoot backdrop adds a welcome change from bland race tracks.

New post
    Name:  217_0205_331.JPG
Views: 455
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  216_0207_138.JPG
Views: 463
Size:  140.7 KB

Posted previously
    Name:  217_0205_078 Sizaire.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  185.1 KB
    Last edited by ERC; 01-23-2018 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks for your reply Nigel. I have been to leadfoot and enjoyed walking through the spectator carpark as much as the main event. I think most people find it interesting because it is different.

I take there is no restriction on the type of camera you allowed to use, as I was told there was in the early events.

Difficult to police Milan. I was at an international ballroom dance competition in Blackpool last year. Whilst video cameras were not allowed, my little Canon portable and full size Nikon DSLR both have video capability - and security wouldn't have had a clue what I was taking. Those with obvious video cameras were jumped on very quickly.

With everyone seemingly having an all singing all dancing cell phone these days, impossible to prevent them videoing.

They may not have permission to publish the footage, which is a different issue altogether. Same applies to Goodwood and most major events these days. Even the programmes and entry lists are usually copyright.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hirst View Post
    Yes Rhys, we will miss you in the lycoming, was great to have been involved with you both when you where there.
    As a whole lot of people in the sport have been privileged to be able to say "I couldn't have kept it going without you Kev". Thanks again, and the starter has been repaired )

Entry list here - well worth a look...

http://www.leadfootfestival.com/lead...8-competitors/

I want to see the Auto Union replica run. Missed it last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Entry list here - well worth a look...

http://www.leadfootfestival.com/lead...8-competitors/

I want to see the Auto Union replica run. Missed it last year.
    Saw that listed. Has it got a spitfire engine?

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    Saw that listed. Has it got a spitfire engine?
    Meteor engine, which is the unsupercharged version made for tanks. Still HEAPS of horsepower but doesn't suffer from the lack of power at 30 000 feet altitude