Thread: What's the answer?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You raise some great points Allan on a subject that keeps me awake at night I really am joking but I do ponder this from time to time. Over the summer we have 4 entities running events on the 4 North Island circuits...Speedworks, HRC, Auckland Car Club and the Independent Race Series. We then also have a number of entities promoting various standalone events so we end up with a very busy calendar.
    We certainly have too many race classes and I will comment on these as I go. The big problem I have is the mix and match nature of some of these meetings and in my mind we should have 4 defined calendars as follows:

Speedworks
    HRC Modern
    HRC Historic / Classic
    Auckland Car Club

I have not included Taupo or Manawatu Car Clubs as they seem to run their respective winter series.

The standalone events...Supercars, MG Classic, Hampton Festival, Taupo Historic GP, Hampton GT event and the South Island Classics fortnight...could form the backbone around which the other calendars are based and it is important to remember that clashes will be inevitable.

Speedworks are generally promoting classes that don`t impact on the other groups too much and the bulk of their schedule revolves around the TRS. HRC Modern could join this schedule over the busy January February timetable which leaves HRC Historic to run their events over the same time frame.

The Auckland Car Club schedule would take care of itself and these are largely one day affairs anyway. And I have liked the occasions where TACCOC have run their one day events on the other day of the same weekend.

And so we come to all those classes run under HRC Events and IRC...as there seems to be some cooperation between these 2 entities. The biggest tidy up in a busy calendar could come from this lot. So here goes...draw a line in the sand and have 2 schedules or groups of classes and then work out which are relevant and can any be merged.

Classic / Historic - classes on this schedule would be the following:

Classic Touring Cars - still should have gone with Heritage and worked with the South Island group with an emphasis on genuine cars.
    I can see a grid of replicas that would be more suited to Improved Production - time will tell.
    TraNZam Challenge
    Formula 5000
    Historic Muscle Cars / Historic Saloon Cars - when grid sizes allow then run as 2 separate groups.
    Hooters Series
    BMW Series
    Historic Formula Ford
    Formula Junior
    ERC Series - the 2 groups
    Formula Libre - if Atlantics can muster 15 or more then run a separate grid
    Classic Trials
    Trofeo Series
    Historic Sports Sedans and Allcomers
    Pre 65

If wanted or needed then those groups that want to run with TACCOC or the standalone meets as have previously can do so. NO MODERN CLASSES AT THESE MEETINGS. Spectators then know that they are turning up to a CLASSIC meet and not some pick and mix.

The modern classes are:

Improved Production - given time you can run 2 groups - Under 2L and Over 2L - just like in Australia. If everyone could agree on
    closing down some other groups and merging them into IP then I almost guarantee capacity grids!
    2K Cup
    Formula Ford
    Honda Cup
    NZ Sportscars
    Super Karts
    Super Lap
    Rotary Race Enthusiasts

and including

Super Six / HQ
    Super Mini Challenge
    SS2000
    K Sports Sedans

Pro 7 Mazdas and Formula First could run here if they needed extra rounds outside of the Speedworks schedule.

Across both Modern and Historic remember that not every class listed has to race at those meetings but draw a line in the sand in terms of what classes run at what type of meeting so far as HRC Events is concerned.

Remember at the standalone events you might get a mix due to the various promotions preferences.

Are you all confused? Can this be any worse than the confusion out there now?

Anthony
    Last edited by touringcarfan; 01-23-2018 at 07:43 AM.