Thread: What's the answer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    rf4 has it really. It is now a generational thing - but only up to a point.

I know I sound like an LP record stuck in a groove, but no one in their right mind is going to be attracted to races with ten cars scattered around a track - where only part of it is visible from whatever vantage point you choose. We have to accept that speedway and stock car racing around a quarter mile oval with ten cars on a grid can still be exciting when you can see all cars all of the time.

I know that a bit of biff and bash adds to the excitement at stockcars, and dramatic crashes are often part of speedway, but they also have tail out motoring - cars have attitude. I remember so well my first ever speedway meeting at Western Springs and I was hooked. It looked exciting and boy, it was exciting.

As mentioned earlier, sticky tyres, cars driving as if on rails, small grids, unacceptable delays, cars out of sight for at least half the lap or so far away that you may as well not be there, terribly restricted spectator viewing spots, poor TV coverage - concentrating far too much on just two or three cars, so much red tape and often, over inflated prices of admission, lack of shelter - its not exactly a surprise that we have a few issues getting people in, is it?

Promoters need to front up and say for each meeting "This is for spectators" or "This is for drivers and Spectators" or "This is for Drivers" and structure them accordingly, because at the moment, there are some meetings supposedly aimed at spectators and drivers and quite frankly, they seem to be failing miserably on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    Promoters need to front up and say for each meeting "This is for spectators" or "This is for drivers and Spectators" or "This is for Drivers" and structure them accordingly, because at the moment, there are some meetings supposedly aimed at spectators and drivers and quite frankly, they seem to be failing miserably on both counts.
    That's about the best statement I've heard you come up with Ray, my understanding is that generally Historic and Classic racing is for the vehicle owner to go out and enjoy his(or her) car and drive at a pace they are comfortable with having some fun, like a Sunday game of golf! because after all there's nothing left to prove racing an old car. I have mentioned my Monterey experiences in the past, some years they have good size spectators other years none, but the event still carrys on regardless and the racer attendance is always the same. How do they make $$$ and run it, well the racer always pays that's how.

Another interesting take and I mentioned this over on a FB page, both Timaru and Scope had huge crowds(so I'm told) they had almost the very same classes that raced at Quinn's Festival(2 weeks prior to Timaru) and the Taupo GP were no one bothered to turned up, is it a North South thing? is it because there's less to do down south and too much to do up north? after all the amount of events, concerts, etc on up here is mind boggling.
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 02-06-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
    rf4 has it really. It is now a generational thing - but only up to a point.

--- but they also have tail out motoring - cars have attitude. I remember so well my first ever speedway meeting at Western Springs and I was hooked. It looked exciting and boy, it was exciting.

As mentioned earlier, sticky tyres, cars driving as if on rails, small grids, unacceptable delays, cars out of sight for at least half the lap or so far away that you may as well not be there, terribly restricted spectator viewing spots, poor TV coverage - concentrating far too much on just two or three cars, so much red tape and often, over inflated prices of admission, lack of shelter - its not exactly a surprise that we have a few issues getting people in, is it?
    And, the attitude, management and structure of the controlling bodies involved. N.B. Speedway / Motor sport.