Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Holiday Snaps - Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Note the photo on display between these genuine Bugatti 1/2 scale Type 52s. This is is Jeanne Schlumpf, mother of Hans and Fritz. Her sons were devoted to her and dedicated the collection to her.

Attachment 51903

Attachment 51904

in Herges book-Tintin in the Land of Black Gold, the Sheiks son had one of these- red of course-Snowy the dog had a turn at driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post

in Herges book-Tintin in the Land of Black Gold, the Sheiks son had one of these- red of course-Snowy the dog had a turn at driving it.
    Thanks John, very cool!

I highly recommend this fascinating account of the Schlumpf collection, from Sports Car Digest. It paints a rather darker picture of the two brothers than many stories and has some great photos of the collection as it once was: http://www.sportscardigest.com/schlu...photo-gallery/

Name:  4Schlumpf1Schlumpf-Reserve-1.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  95.4 KB

Imagine what it must have been like for those workers who stormed this building back in the 1970s and found scenes like this!

Name:  IMG_4453.JPG
Views: 559
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4458.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  139.0 KB

This is one of the earliest cars Ettore Bugatti contributed to, when he worked for Mathis.

Name:  IMG_4454.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  148.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4455.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  135.3 KB

Wonderful Steve - my wife and I will be there in late September. Your photos have added to the already high level of anticipation!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Wonderful Steve - my wife and I will be there in late September. Your photos have added to the already high level of anticipation!
    You will absolutely love it Michael. I spent three hours there, but it still wasn't quite enough. I found myself rushing more than I would have liked to, and not able to spend as much time with each car that I would have liked. But I have to admit I was getting pretty tired towards the end. It is quite an overwhelming experience. I'll definitely return.

Did anyone else notice the mistake in the script of post 16 where in the English translation the numbers are transposed and read 213B?

Great stuff Steve. Hopefully, if my wife is able to travel again in the future and we can do an European river cruise, Basel isn't so far away from Mulhouse!

Not only is Basel Airport nearby, it isn't even it Switzerland...

We spent a whole day, and that was barely enough.
    Before you go, try to get hold of a copy of "The Schlumph Obssesion". It is a story, that if it were fiction, is almost unbelievable. When you know it's for real the mind boggles.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 03-06-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Weekend Warrior
    These photos bring back memories to me Steve, I was there in 2013 being in the group that went to Belgium,Holland,France and the UK.We went over to celebrate 50 years of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing the museum was one of the many highlights.
    It would have to be the biggest collection of Bugattis in the world.
    Any petrolhead should visit this also the Le Mans museum.

I'm so pleased you got to visit there. I too have been wanting to visit since I was young. Definitely lives up to expectations from your photos.
    "Sorry Mr K., it's not your day."

I'm really glad these photos are bringing back memories for some of you guys, and motivating others to visit. Its truly worth the effort if you happen to be in that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    We spent a whole day, and that was barely enough.
    Before you go, try to get hold of a copy of "The Schlumph Obssesion". It is a story, that if it were fiction, is almost unbelievable. When you know it's for real the mind boggles.
    Rhys, thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware of that book, so searched for it on Trademe, and low and behold, there was a copy for sale. I managed to buy it. It'll be on its way to me soon.

Name:  724920186.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  143.8 KB

Steve, hopefully it's the one that somebody "borrowed" from me and was never returned. If it is, I will know it's gone to a good home