Thread: Video Of The Day: Long Weekend At Longford

Video Of The Day: Long Weekend At Longford

You may have already seen this. If not, sit back an enjoy. Its hugely enjoyable, and the colour and clarity are amazing:

Steve yes saw it on the website TRS today and it is being shared around other motoring forums, great Kiwi connection in it and Lex Davidson lap of the track is brilliant ..

World Champion
    It amazes me how Bruce McLaren had the strength and courage to come out and drive from last place to finish second less than 10 seconds behind Graham Hill plus set fastest lap during the main race.
    All this after losing his team mate and friend, Tim Mayer, during practice.
    Tim died due to crashing into a tree after losing control going over a slight hump on the straight approaching the pub at Longford Corner.
    Bruce and Tim's brother Teddy and the team were devastated but still managed to honour Tim with a brilliant drive on race day.

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-16-2018 at 07:43 AM.

World Champion
    I found this amazing 3D simulation of the historic Longford circuit.
    We drove around most of the track in 1991 and this clip is so realistic and certainly brought back memories to me.
    ( I like the way the # 14 Mustang comes through during this.)

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2...10/3062737.htm

The point where Tim Mayer crashed is about where the orange car is in this scene where the road has a lighter shade.
    Name:  Longford.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  158.6 KB

( Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-16-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    It amazes me how Bruce McLaren had the strength and courage to come out and drive from last place to finish second less than 10 seconds behind Graham Hill plus set fastest lap during the main race.
    All this after losing his team mate and friend, Tim Mayer, during practice.
    Tim died due to crashing into a tree after losing control going over a slight hump on the straight approaching the pub at Longford Corner.
    Bruce and Tim's brother Teddy and the team were devastated but still managed to honour Tim with a brilliant drive on race day.

(Ken H)
    Very true Ken. It was from that crash that Bruce McLaren wrote his famous quote in his book From The Cockpit, which was published in 1964. It was the final two sentences in the book, and it was this same quote used so many times when Bruce himself was killed in 1970.

The 'light patch' is where the hump was removed, it was little more than a foot high.

The actual crash would have been around where the first tree is seen.

Davison, off course, went the other way in 1963, crashing into the pub.

World Champion
    Ray,
    Was it true that Tim Mayer's helmet was on display for many years in the pub along with other racing memorabilia?
    Surely it was not the one he would have worn on that fateful day.

Ken

It's true Ken. It was there in 2005 and so was the stone marker originally placed at the crash scene. There's a house there now (well for probably more than 40 years at a guess).

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I found this amazing 3D simulation of the historic Longford circuit.
    We drove around most of the track in 1991 and this clip is so realistic and certainly brought back memories to me.
    ( I like the way the # 14 Mustang comes through during this.)

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2...10/3062737.htm

The point where Tim Mayer crashed is about where the orange car is in this scene where the road has a lighter shade.
    Name:  Longford.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  158.6 KB

( Ken H )
    This is from a computer simulation called rFactor (And now rFactor 2). Its a proper simulation where everyone around the world adds content in the form of tracks and cars. All of the NZ and Australian tracks have been simulated. This track is a blast to drive around and almost reminds me of doing a targa stage....especially in a 427 AC Cobra with very little grip!