Thread: SCCA regional events in Texas etc. 1960s-70s through the lens of Jerry Melton

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    A car seen in 1968 events in the SCCA D Sedan class was the NSU 1000 TTS.
    Did any of these reach "Down Under" ? I think NSU went on to become Audi ?
    Name:  NSU%20TTS%20.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  133.4 KB

Name:  NSU-TTS%20FRANK%20MUELLER.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  158.7 KB
    The open rear lid must have been an early type spoiler. (Note this one had the oval headlights..see note below. )
    (Jerry Melton photos.)

I found this bit of info. regarding the NSU TTS. (Lane Auto Museum material.)
    "NSU 1000 TTS-1967

The NSU 1000 represented a major change for NSU. This model has a four-cylinder, overhead cam engine which is air-cooled and located in the rear. You can see that the styling of the Prinz IV carried over. The 1000 is larger with an 88 inch wheelbase and an overall length of 150 inches. With the quad headlights, the 1000 looks even more like the Chevrolet Corvair. For the U.S. market, the NSU 1000 was altered with the use of quad, round, sealed-beam headlights (the original, oval headlights were still illegal in the USA). Front parking lights and turn signals were round and mounted below the bumper. The wrap-around front blinkers were replaced with a metal panel. Later, front seat headrests were installed, as were other safety features, like front seat shoulder belts and 4-way emergency flashers.

Specifications:
    Manufacturer: NSU Motorenwerke AG

Country of Origin: Germany

Drivetrain Configuration: Rear engine, rear wheel drive

Engine: 996cc, 40 hp, 4 cylinder, air cooled

Transmission: 4 speed manual

Top Speed: 85 mph

Years of Production: 1964-72

Number Produced: 207,628

Original Cost: $2,595

https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/coll...-1000-tts-1967

Please check this Nashville Tennessee museum as it has some very interesting and unique information on all types of transportation. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 12-12-2018 at 01:20 AM.