Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historic Karting

Thats a big thumbs up from me also.
    A friend Peter Kitchen raced there, also we used to fly control line planes there 1969-70, so the karts were a great sight.
    Habu- man, a pulse jet, thats the Marsh dragster of model engines,same principal as in the Nazi V1 Doodlebug.. What a sight with your dad !!!!!!!!!! Was it on a Combat Wing with the long streamers behind ?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 09-23-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks Guys, I have enjoyed revisiting the photos myself.
    What has amused me most is the "crowd control" and "safety fencing" or lack of it.
    Try and park a car right next to a track fence now or stand on the wire or posts!!
    Different era I guess and no doubt the karts are very much quicker now.
    Lots more Dads and sons sharing a kart back then too which was less pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Thats a big thumbs up from me also.
    A friend Peter Kitchen raced there, also we used to fly control line planes there 1969-70, so the karts were a great sight.
    Habu- man, a pulse jet, thats the Marsh dragster of model engines,same principal as in the Nazi V1 Doodlebug.. What a sight with your dad !!!!!!!!!! Was it on a Combat Wing with the long streamers behind ?
    Ha ha - no John, the pulse jet once running (which is an art form / rigmarole on its own), is timed by the number of "laps" it completes if I remember correctly. No ribbons, and no sissy nylon control lines. Jet lines are made from braided steel "for real men" and the fuel for it used to be made and delivered by a friend who was an industrial chemist - so probably a bit Marsh like. Think the Old Boys one used to have an average speed of over 130mph.

Yes, V1 technology - the noise must have been terrifying during WW2, as I can still remember the noise it made.

The real treat, is to see one flying at night
    Last edited by Habu; 09-25-2015 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    Thanks Guys, I have enjoyed revisiting the photos myself.
    What has amused me most is the "crowd control" and "safety fencing" or lack of it.
    Try and park a car right next to a track fence now or stand on the wire or posts!!
    Different era I guess and no doubt the karts are very much quicker now.
    Lots more Dads and sons sharing a kart back then too which was less pressure.
    Yes, so not PC compared to all the hoops we have to jump through today.

A much simpler time....

like driving a kart on the road. the LVVTA would have fits if that was presented for certification now.

Karting Photos 1973 and 1974

Final post of these photos - I have quite a few individual kart shots too. If people would like me to search for anyone in particular PM me and I can have a look.

Name:  Karts37-Rosebank1973.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  158.9 KB

Name:  Karts33-Mt-Well1973.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  Karts35-Rosebank1973.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  Karts36-Rosebank1973.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  184.4 KB

Name:  Karts39-Mt-Well1974.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  Karts34-Rosebank1973.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  157.0 KB

[QUOTE=BMCBOY;48905]Final post of these photos - I have quite a few individual kart shots too. If people would like me to search for anyone in particular PM me and I can have a look.

Just look at those motors - Komet, Parrilla's and I'm guessing TD Yamaha stuff? Wow Thanks a heap BMC BOY.
    Are there any photos from the late 70's / early 80's anywhere by any chance?

Many, many thanks

Couple of Karts i owned 1977 on,raced at Rosebank Rd and street races. 545 had a YamahaT100 motor i think it was called and 250 was a Honda CZ.The 250 kart was built by Ron Robinson to a Peter Bruin design,quite unusual in its double chassis rail,made it quite ridged.Big wheels on the front were also unusual,[also front disc brakes]handled well and went like stink.Raced it at road circuits and also Taupo [small track] and club circuit at Pukekohe.Interesting to see the 1974 photos Name:  Karts 002.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  89.4 KBName:  Karts 001.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  90.0 KBName:  Karts 003.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  72.7 KBand the my shots,how quickly design had changed,the 250 and Yamie would have been around 78-80.
    I used to make a lot of the Kart seats ,wings and front fairings ,in fibreglass in those days, hence the 3 colour [all gelcoat] seat on 545.

Superkarts Baypark 1982

Superkarts were just as fast as Formula Pacifics around Baypark at this time.

Name:  KartsBaypark1982.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  156.8 KB

Name:  Karts2Baypark1982.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  Karts3Baypark1982-(2).jpg
Views: 921
Size:  163.4 KB

Hi Ross, Nice photos! The 545 karts engine is definitely not a Yamaha KT100 - its a reed valve engine, so could be a Dap / Corsair. Please post anymore they're great

Nice superkart photos! Is that Chris Heron in kart #25?

KT100

Definitely a KT100,had one of the first ones that came on the market,got sick of my Macs blowing up.Never had a Rotary,those guys were considered,or considered themselves F1 drivers ,anyway was always to heavy for that class !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    Definitely a KT100,had one of the first ones that came on the market,got sick of my Macs blowing up.Never had a Rotary,those guys were considered,or considered themselves F1 drivers ,anyway was always to heavy for that class !!

Sorry Ross, I said reed - I meant Rotary, but you already picked up on that. Whats got me confused is the carb is mounted to the outside of the barrel closer to the rear wheel and the ignition coil looks like a red one from a motoplat mounted on the front. Regardless, its still a cool looking kart.

Hell i hate when i am wrong,yes Habu you are correct,looked at the original photo and it is a carb,i bought this kart of my nephew and he was running a Rotary,so long ago think i must have run it in a couple of meetings then put the Yamaha on.Memory going maybe on my part.545 was his number,Brett Oakes.Can not remember what i did with the motor,probably used it as a trade in. !Good spotting.Checked out the local kart shop in Rotorua..........wow they are a work of art now these new karts,had a look at the track here,a very fine track it is,with all the timing gear etc,thought about having another go in seniors but felt the technology was a bit complicated for me now.Some of the rigs they have were amazing.Have to say it was some of the best racing i have enjoyed in motorsport. RH

Superkart Photos Pukekohe 1982

Name:  SuperkartsPuke82.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  170.2 KB

Name:  Superkart3Puke82.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  Superkart2Puke82.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  181.9 KB

Name:  Superkart4Puke82.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  163.3 KB

Hell i hate when i am wrong,yes Habu you are correct,looked at the original photo and it is a carb,i bought this kart of my nephew and he was running a Rotary,so long ago think i must have run it in a couple of meetings then put the Yamaha on.Memory going maybe on my part.545 was his number,Brett Oakes.Can not remember what i did with the motor,probably used it as a trade in. !Good spotting.Checked out the local kart shop in Rotorua..........wow they are a work of art now these new karts,had a look at the track here,a very fine track it is,with all the timing gear etc,thought about having another go in seniors but felt the technology was a bit complicated for me now.Some of the rigs they have were amazing.Have to say it was some of the best racing i have enjoyed in motorsport. RH
    I know exactly what you mean! Its a cool kart - and a cool motor. Yes, modern karts are certainly complicated compared to what was around years ago.

Geez BMCBOY you keep outdoing yourself with these. They are superbe. Pretty sure I was there for this event. The colour just brings a whole new dimension to these

....thought about having another go in seniors but felt the technology was a bit complicated for me now.Some of the rigs they have were amazing.Have to say it was some of the best racing i have enjoyed in motorsport. RH

Is there no interest or facility in karting for historic racing along the lines followed by motorcycles and cars ? The chassis aren't very big and wouldn't take up too much room in the attic....

Interesting idea,but think you would be hard pressed to find old,original karts,most got dumped or cut up and tube bends used for other fabrications.Dont think i would want to run a Mc Culloch Motor again,sods of things ,used to call them hand grenades,the Honda was ok. RH

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Is there no interest or facility in karting for historic racing along the lines followed by motorcycles and cars ? The chassis aren't very big and wouldn't take up too much room in the attic....
    Yes! There is a register for Historic Karts in NZ. Events are held throught the year, and the "demonstrations" attract a vast array of interesting and unique machinery. I have a vintage kart and usually run it at the Christmas meeting at Auckland each year. Lots of fun, and like cars "the karts are the stars"