Another V8 MkIII Cortina, this one being Clyde Collins' example. Collins always had good looking race cars, from his A40 Farina, to his PDL Minis, his later V8 Capri and Commodore, both of which Avon Hyde drove for him.

The Cortina was built for the South Island OSCA series. I think it was one of the first cars built for OSCA. Most were left-over Allcomers. It was fitted with a Ford V8. It was often referred to as the 'Cortina Mustang', which sounded a bit exotic. A bit like Anglia Corvette etc. I doubt the engine had ever been near a Mustang, but this was common practice in the day.

The Collins Cortina was a very successful car in the OSCA series. It was initially painted light powder blue, before it received a make-over in this attractive red with gold roof. It was later sold to Bruce Bellis who had Robin Officer fit a new set of aluminium flares based on the molds used for the PDL Mustang flares. Officer also built similar flares for the Jack Nazer Victor and Bruce Jenner Camaro (ex-Rod Coppins).

Bellis apparently spent mega-bucks having a new motor built for the car. I need to dig out some old reports, but it was believed to have been pretty trick. But he didn't enjoy a lot of success with it.

A later owner was Steve Vigurs who raced it well into the 1980s. I think Vigurs moved the mechanicals into another car and scrapped the Cortina shell. Someone with better knowledge may know more?

A replica of this car was built a few years ago in the South island.

Name:  000023.jpg
Views: 2285
Size:  158.5 KB