Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The John Judson Collection

Quote Originally Posted by tonttu View Post
    Driven by one of Jurgens who had a demolition company (as per the livery). there is a photo of the rear of the car on another thread somewhere. If I recall it was later sold and hot rodded?

cheers

Mark

Here is the link
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...e-Collection-5 Bottom of post #2 and #14.

Some more fantastic photos in that thread too - sometimes pays to go back to old threads to remind oursleves of some of the jems lying here.

cheers
    Last edited by tonttu; 01-10-2019 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonttu View Post
    Here is the link
    http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...e-Collection-5 Bottom of post #2 and #14.

Some more fantastic photos in that thread too - sometimes pays to go back to old threads to remind oursleves of some of the jems lying here.

cheers
    Thanks for the link. It shows the coupe really clearly.

Here are a couple more shots of it.

Name:  000009.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  157.5 KB

Name:  000010.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  155.3 KB

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Levin?
    Manfield I think..

Name:  Chevrolet Coupe.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  138.0 KB

Name:  12 Chevrolet Coupe.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  157.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks everyone re the Chevy coupe. Was it featured in NZ Hot Rod mag?
    Kevin Greene's '37 Chev was on the cover of the January 1969 NZ Hot Rod magazine and they noted that it would be featured in a later issue.

Name:  img761 (2).jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  171.7 KB

Great car., remember seeing it at Hill Climbs, Grass track events at Riverhead

My understanding is that Kevin took the Coupe to the USA with him where it resides to this day.
    A lovely man and I bought many parts off him from his business, “ The Chevvy Shop”

Thanks everyone. Fantastic info and recollections on this car.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Kevin Greene's '37 Chev was on the cover of the January 1969 NZ Hot Rod magazine and they noted that it would be featured in a later issue.

Name:  img761 (2).jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  171.7 KB
    Wow Milan, great job! Yes this is the car I was thinking of. I can see why I got the two mixed up. They're both metallic '37 Chev coupes. But seeing them together now I can see they're both completely different.

Kevin Greene’s is a 37 and the other a 38 if you go by the grilles

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Kevin Greene’s is a 37 and the other a 38 if you go by the grilles
    Oh yeah, well spotted. I was just looking at the recess on the side bodywork.

Formula Fords on the dummy grid.

Name:  000016.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  186.4 KB

The orange Ford in the foreground has the late Ross Atkins' name on the cockpit surround but I thought he had a BT18 but this car certainly doesn't look like a Brabham! It could be the one-off built and raced by his brother Francis perhaps ( the FBA?). My memory is fading but it was about 50 years ago! Francis and I worked on Bryan Faloon's old Brabham Climax in the Tasman Series (circa 1967-68). Bryan, Ross, Francis and Warwick Binning shared a workshop in Levin to maintain their cars. Warwick bought the early Humber80 powered Begg National Formula car and converted it to Formula Ford specs, I eventually ended up with that car a couple of years later. I think the Begg was the second of the marque, Michael Clark will know!

You might not believe this but I was multi-tasking - on the phone, checking TRS/emailing the above photo to Howard Wood and re-arranging a couple of books on my shelf - one of which is called 'A Tribute to George Begg - The Man and his Cars'...and then I found myself reading about what it known as 'the second car'.

The book tells us "Warwick Binning converted the car into a Formula Ford in 1971..." When Rootes powered it was driven by Dave Bruton, Colin Bunce, Russell Thompson and Ian Bisman. Ian co-owns the car today with Noel Atley - they purchased it from Allan Woolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Formula Fords on the dummy grid.

Name:  000016.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  186.4 KB
    Looks like the FF race at Bay Park in December 1973.

Name:  img784 (2).jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  181.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Looks like the FF race at Bay Park in December 1973.

Name:  img784 (2).jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  181.4 KB
    Wow, I count 38 cars in this entry list! Thats a big field for Bay Park. Some familiar names on the entry list too.

#74 is actually Paul 'Mr Avon' Dold - still running FF today...as of course is Grant Campbell

And Alan Crocker who was in the very first FF race in NZ, and still running, back from Europe for this season.