Thread: RIP Ron Grable

RIP Ron Grable

After a long illness, the man that won the first race in NZ featuring Formula A cars, has passed away.

Good driver who always seemed to go well at Bay Park, and I'm told, a very nice man.

thanks for the bay park entertainment Ron

While his visits to NZ were only in late 60s and early 70s we have fond memories of him in wedge nose M10A and of course the Firebird which still resides here,
    With that car and its glorious history, his memory will never fade in our minds.

Deus ex machina
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 11-02-2018 at 09:43 PM.

World Champion
    The " Master of Bay Park", Ron Grable, winner of both the 1968 and 1969 F 5000 races there, walking past his modified McLaren M10 A
    December 1969.
    Name:  Bay Park 1969_0002_NEW.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  170.9 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo.)

RIP Ron.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-02-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Yes he brought us some great memories in both saloons and open wheelers. Unfortunately we are edging along that path and it is sad when you hear of another really good person whose life has come to a close. RIP

I was lucky enough to get to know Ron quite well over the last decade or so, and I even went to visit him at his home in Arizona. He was an accomplished racer and driver. He raced at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, as well as all across the US and Canada. He raced in NZ, and had a contracts as a test and development driver in Japan. He raced in everything from SCCA club racing in his Porsche Speedster in the early 60's to Can Am, Trans Am, F5000 and right through to Historics and he did a lot of winning.
    As a person he grew up in Southern California, he had a degree in Engineering Ron had a great sense of humour and as far as I could see he was liked and respected by just about everyone who knew him. He shared a lot of great memories with me, some racing, some private. Later in life he was a flyer with his own planes, and aerobatics was a a love of his particularly in his Pitts, and there are great stories about that too. After the racing Ron became a writer, in motoring and aircraft magazines and if you get the chance, read his material. It is very well written and informative. Through Ron I got to know a lot of his friends, some very well known people from racing and the print and photojournalist arenas. I will miss him as will all his friends, but none as much as his family who were all very close.
    RIP my friend, it was a privilege to know you.

Bruce, very informative post, what an interesting life Ron Grable had. I recall reading somewhere that he did stunt driving in the original Bullit movie - fact or fiction, do you know? I was at Bay Park, didn't realize back then that his car was a McLaren, think it was called a Scepter maybe?

Grant...was fiction, never was stunt driver in Bullit. Motorman started that false news.

If I am not mistaken, didn't he kiss the Governor General's daughter when she presented a trophy at Baypark.

Grant, Ron won twice at Bay Park - the first time was when the Formula A cars first came here and he drove the Spectre HR1. If the side radiators and needle nose weren't wild enough, what about the outrageous combination of purple and gold?

A year later he was back with the modified McLaren M10A - complete with the American flag painted on the rear wing.

And of course his special stars and stripes helmet worn only when he got pole.

Mike Goth?

World Champion
    Bruce, that was a very nice and interesting tribute to Ron.
    Here are two photos of the Spectre HR 1 at Baypark in Dec. 1968.

Name:  Baypark Dec 1968_NEW - Edited (2).jpg
Views: 745
Size:  119.2 KB
    (K Hyndman photo.) (# 8 during practice and # 1 when racing.)

Name:  8454f3b1a6ad4de91329273450 - Edited (1).jpg
Views: 752
Size:  147.6 KB
    (From Rod Grimwood )
    Ron Grable on the grid in his Spectre # 1 starting from pole at Baypark.
    Stew McMillen beside him in the Eisert 67 number 5 and Leo Geoghegan behind in his Lotus # 11.

(Ken H )

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Mike Goth?
    Bay Park. Dec 1969
    American driver, Mike Goth's Surtees TS 5 # 96
    Name:  Bay%20Park%201969_0001_NEW[1].jpg
Views: 688
Size:  171.6 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photo.)

This is Ron with his Pitts aerobatic plane, he once flew it upside down just off a beach at a very low altitude to the delight of the swimmers. It was OK if he wasn't over land, which he wasn't, but not by much.

Name:  Ron Grable with Pitts small.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  22.8 KB

An article about Ron Grable from the 8 o'clock in 1970.

Name:  img334 (3).jpg
Views: 739
Size:  173.6 KBName:  img335 (2).jpg
Views: 627
Size:  170.2 KB

World Champion
    I was talking to a friend today and we were discussing Ron Grable and I told him that I got to sit in the Spectre Formula A car when it sat in a garage at the Mount back in January 1969 and how I dreamed that one day I wanted to be a race driver and this was about as close as I got.
    Name:  Spectre .. # 1.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  71.4 KB

Stu went on to say that his brother, Walt Hanssen, bought the Spectre from Ron Grable in 1970 and raced it briefly then sold it after a year.
    Here are some photos of the Spectre in 1970 at Riverside.
    Name:  Spectre # 26 @ Riverside.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  Spectre # 26 testing @ Riverside..jpg
Views: 590
Size:  161.9 KB

Name:  Spectre # 26.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  169.4 KB
    Exiting Turn 6 at Riverside.

(It is a small world in that 50 yrs. ago I would sit in a car in NZ that one day would belong to the brother of a good friend here in California !)

(Ken H )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 11-14-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Those are great photos Ken, Thank you for posting them and isn't it amazing the connections that are made over the years.

Bruce.