Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sitting in some one's workshop

Semi-Pro Racer
    The original car at the start of this thread at a Wings and Wheels event at Pukekohe. Year unknown.

As it was as the Offenhauser Special with Ford Flathead power when in the care of Graeme Harvey. Here driven in an Auckland Hot Rod Club hillclimb by Peter Howarth.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I think this car should have its own dedicated thread, don't you Roger? Seems unfair to have such a special car hidden inside this thread.
    Yes, yes it most certainly should.

I hope it still has two authentic features which assisted greatly with its successes, i.e. a piece of wires on the dash/scuttle to fasten the gear lever into second and strings on each spark plug tying on the lead. George's efforts looked rough as, but a good look revealed a lot of careful detailed preparation.

Northland Special

Here is an article I wrote for a magazine. As the mag did not even offer me a copy (I was asked to pay for a subscription) I believe I am allowed to publish this here!
    It relates to the original post. Photos of its' evolution to follow.

Is this the race car with the longest continuous racing history in the country? If not it certainly must be very close!

Built originally in the premises of Jackson Engineering by John McMillan it was intended to be the prototype for a production series. It was constructed with what can be described as two ladder frames separated by not a great amount.

It originally had a straight front axle, V8 onto a Morris M series gearbox with a chain drive to the left hand side and then a shaft back to the very offset back axle. This allowed a very low seating position – to the point where contemporary photos show the drivers head being little above the Austin 7 special drivers. In this form the “Jackson Special” was winner of the first NZ Grand Prix on March 18, 1950 at Ohakea, whether considered as luck or well judged.

The car passed into the hands of Halsey Logan of the Nelson district. He made extensive use of the car. It was used at the Tahunanui Beach Races, Richmond track and anything else going. By 1952 it had gained independent front suspension based around Morris Oxford components with torsion bars and multiple telescopic shock absorbers. Before its sale to George Palmer over the winter of ’52 the car had also gained a more conventional drive line with V8 Mercury torque tube and back axle. It ran with Edelbrock heads and 4 twin choke carburettors. Most race results and there are plenty) call it the “Jackson Special” others the “Logan Special”!

In George’s hands it became the “Palmer Special” and gained a new nose cone, Ardun OHV cylinder head conversion, and sparkling gold paint job. In this form it finished 8th in the 1954 New Zealand International Grand Prix and 3rd New Zealand resident. He also won the Beach Racing Championships.

By 1956 it was in the hands of Lionel Bulcraig – a Kawakawa car dealer and for the first time in its life became the “Northland Special”.
    Lionel had trouble qualifying for the ’56 NZIGP until it was fitted with the first ever set of “Jolly Wide Wheels”. He then readily qualified. This was when current owner Fred first saw and fell in love with the car at the Whangarei Winter Show!

Another new name – the “Roo Special” after a group of Australians bought the car and it was repainted white with brown numbers and a large brown kangaroo painted on it.

Now it passed into the hands of Bill Thomasen who fitted Offenhauser heads and it became the “Offenhauser Special”. This was 1959 and in this form he was to finish 2nd in the sprint race at Ardmore.

The next recorded owners – remember race cars had to be registered – were Cotter Motors, and then Branch Car Sales who sold it to Neville Gray in October 1962.

By August of 1964 it was in the hands of Johnnie Windleburn. The motor found its way into a V8 coupe, the coupe motor in the single-seater. The next owner was Ken McClennan who replaced the Mercury motor in 1970 with the Jaguar 3.4.

November 1971 was when Fred Courtney discovered the car and bought it as a “cheap car to go hill climbing”. At this stage he was unaware of what the car was. His first event saw him going through a fence – by the next event it also had protection at the windscreen area. One of the first clues to its’ identity was the extreme cut away on the right hand side. This was about the time that he realised he now owned the car he had seen years before.

Since Fred acquired the car he has lost count of the events he has competed in. Given that it is now 39 years with around 6+ each year!!

So, that’s the history – the car itself.

Chassis – twin ladder frame
    Front Suspension – twin wishbone, torsion bars, twin shocks, drum brakes
    Rear Suspension – beam rear quarter elliptics behind the axle, one telescopic, one lever shock per side
    Engine – Mark 7 Jaguar, 2 x 2” SU, straight port head, standard cams.
    Gearbox – Mercury V8

What, to the writer, is part of the appeal of this is its condition – as used! Patina by the truckload.

Should the car be “restored”? In my opinion, absolutely not. It has been in its’ current form for more of its life than any other form. What era could it possibly be taken into?

If you want to see a man and machine in harmony – watch these two anytime, racing or standing still check out Fred Courtney and the Northland Special.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 09-13-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Oldfart, excellent effort, and a really good read! Thanks for posting. You noted the car was fitted with a set of rare Ardun heads. Could these have been the same heads used on the GeeCeeEss? There were very few sets in NZ, in fact less than 200 were ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Oldfart, excellent effort, and a really good read! Thanks for posting. You noted the car was fitted with a set of rare Ardun heads. Could these have been the same heads used on the GeeCeeEss? There were very few sets in NZ, in fact less than 200 were ever produced.
    No that went elsewhere, my research on NZ Arduns is nearly complete, or as complete as it can be, just trying to tie up some detail and I will post what I found.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, good story OF
    It was the 1955 GP that Palmer finished in that position though, not the 1954
    Also, it was driven regularly by Grahame Harvey between Thomasen and the next lot of Northlanders, presumably when owned by one of the motor companies
    Thomasen painted it white with red trimmings, and it was then all red in Harvey's hands (and subsequently)

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Yes, good story OF
    It was the 1955 GP that Palmer finished in that position though, not the 1954
    Also, it was driven regularly by Grahame Harvey between Thomasen and the next lot of Northlanders, presumably when owned by one of the motor companies
    Thomasen painted it white with red trimmings, and it was then all red in Harvey's hands (and subsequently)
    I knew of Grahame Harvey, but the OWNERSHIP details were taken from the original certificate of ownership which Fred still has, and as I was unable to identify the year(s) for sure I elected to leave his custody out. The deadline was rapidly approaching and better to leave it out than get it wrong!
    I now have a lot more period programmes than I had when I wrote the above.

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    No that went elsewhere, my research on NZ Arduns is nearly complete, or as complete as it can be, just trying to tie up some detail and I will post what I found.
    I'll really be looking forward to that Gavin. Certainly deserves its own thread.

Opened the door to back room on inside of my garage and found something under what appears to be the missus storage shed for all sorts. I knew I had a car somewhere so I better shift the rest of crap and see whats there.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Shifted some more crap and now I remember what it is. I better start stripping and putting it all back together so we can have some fun.

Semi-Pro Racer
    That poor guy looks like he has been in storage too long!

Ol number 64

Thanks Rod makes my workshop look neat,

Thats her Rog. You still got a toy tucked away.
    I better get me arse into gear and do some work on her i suppose. yea Angria its only a storage room but a mess alright. Shifted stuff and found all sorts of bits and pieces. Gotta move the broken rally car so i can get that one out and swap places.

Pleased to see you still have it. How much is required to get it to fire a shot?
    Oh and the answer is yes i still have it. The Cook finds it handy for stacking the Y fronts, and other laundry on.

Now that thing used to start down the grid a bit at baypark. yet, and with all the heavy hitters taking up the first half of the grid, you would charge though, and be must have been around sixth place going into the sweeper for the first time.
    I think that happened a few times
    fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear you still have your car Roger. Its a neat car, be good to see you out again having a run. yes it did used to nip past a couple before first sweeper done that occasionally, one start at Baypark was best, once 12 to 2nd out of sweeper and then horse power (bloody V8s) took over, all good fun back then though. Car was stripped back to metal in 92 and repainted and has sat in room since (under cover as you can see). it really needs another strip and paint in and out, diff been tidied upand brakes were refreshed but will need look at again and engine is still in plastic bag (rebuilt 89) but been turned over. So Dry Sump, rewire, new tank, pump, pipeing etc, new seat (got all new instruments etc) new wheels & tyres, windows (plastic) and Lotto and we are there.

Bloody hell, Rod, that looks great!