Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi Ford And Holden Books

Kiwi Ford And Holden Books

If you're looking for a cool Christmas present, heres an option. These are a couple of books I wrote last year, published by David Bateman Publishing, called Ford - A Kiwi Obsession and Holden - A Kiwi obsession.

They focus on the histories of each brand and the roles Ford and Holden cars have played in the lives of Kiwis. They include several feature cars, but are also full of fantastic old racing photos, old personal photos donated by a huge number of people who've owned Fords or Holdens in the past, plus old sales brochures etc. Essentially, they're a bit like large glossy scrapbooks. Most of the single photos are captioned, using quotes by those who supplied the photos.

I decided to focus on the vehicles either assembled in NZ, or sold new in NZ, and there is also a strong Australian influence. I left out imported US exotics such as Mustangs etc, as these really weren't the cars Kiwis grew up around.

The books were a huge amount of fun to put together, and showcase the importance of these two brands to the NZ market.

Anyway, they are available at most bookstores, and can also be purchased online if you live outside NZ. Most retailers have them at $39.99, which is an amazing price for a large hardcover book of approx 200 pages.

I have a limited stock of copies of each book also, which you can purchase direct from me if you'd like a sighed copy. There will obviously be a shipping charge on the books ordered direct from me. Email me at: theroaringseason@gmail.com

But here are some photos capturing the pages from each book.

Ford - A Kiwi Obsession:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  99.9 KB

Holden - A Kiwi Obsession:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  109.3 KB

Hi Steve i brought both your books and enjoyed reading them, gave the Holden one to my mate and he was wrapped. Any chance you might do a book one day on some of the old Sports Sedans from the seventies and eighties?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker Run View Post
    Hi Steve i brought both your books and enjoyed reading them, gave the Holden one to my mate and he was wrapped. Any chance you might do a book one day on some of the old Sports Sedans from the seventies and eighties?
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the books.

Re your question about the old Sports Sedans, I just finished writing a book called Historic New Zealand Racing Cars, which features 18 cars in total, including a mix of single seaters, sports cars and saloons. Amongst the saloons are the Ian Algie Alfetta and Graeme Addis Charger Sports Sedans. In addition is the PDL Mustang, Miss Victorious Victor, and Paul Fahey Capri RS2600, which all had careers that extended into the Sports Sedan/OSCA era.

Steve- I hope you mentioned in the Addis Charger that it had a Morris 1100 gearlever - as heard on a TV interview.
    You also did a great book on Motorcycles- i can recommend that one.
    When is you new book due for release?

Steve, I have sent you a PM which has been rejected due to your inwards box being full.

You are too popular, LOL Please clear your letter box.

Tell me John McK, why would the Addis Charger be in either a Ford or Holden book?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Steve, I have sent you a PM which has been rejected due to your inwards box being full.

You are too popular, LOL Please clear your letter box.
    Sorry Trevor, I will clear that out. But its probably easier to email me: theroaringseason@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Tell me John McK, why would the Addis Charger be in either a Ford or Holden book?
    See #15