Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THE RICHARDS/SHEWEIRY BOSS 302 MUSTANG restoration (Sidchrome mustang)

THE RICHARDS/SHEWEIRY BOSS 302 MUSTANG restoration (Sidchrome mustang)

over a period of time I hope to show you the 2 year restoration of the old girl form the long wait it had from 1985 when I stopped racing it till July 2011 when after considerable goading from different camps, I took time away from competition to do a full rebuild. In the shots to follow is how it looked then.

Journeyman Racer
    I have a couple of photos I took of you in that car racing at Puke.Maybe early 80s? You are racing Cook,Nissan. The finlays bakery Datsun,Osborne capri,A chopped up Muatang maybe Faheys old car?Your Mustang lokks like its in a Black/red.yellow liverie. I will send them to Steve to post as I have tried to no avail to post myself. A bit tech handicapped i'm afraid

Name:  sid before restoration.jpg
Views: 5353
Size:  126.4 KB So this is how she looked before the big strip down, still in the colors I painted it somewhere around the end of 1979 I think. The only difference besides the paint was a rear wing and i changed the hood scoop to a Cobra one that I took a mold off my Falcon Cobra. A couple of times I towed the 3 axle transporter I built when I was 24 that was a caravan type front with a bed above the race car nose at the back with a viewing platform above the car, so I could stay at the track and save on accommodation with the Mustang on the back and towed by the Cobra that I also raced in Production Supercars. I do have some photos of it but being towed by my S Pac panelvan when I started my electrical business I will dig out and post.

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    I have a couple of photos I took of you in that car racing at Puke.Maybe early 80s? You are racing Cook,Nissan. The finlays bakery Datsun,Osborne capri,A chopped up Muatang maybe Faheys old car?Your Mustang lokks like its in a Black/red.yellow liverie. I will send them to Steve to post as I have tried to no avail to post myself. A bit tech handicapped i'm afraid
    Thanks that would be cool to see, Its funny but I dont have many photos of my racing years, ahhhhh yes now it comes back to me, I put every dime I had into my cars and it wasnt as cheap or simple as it is today with ph cameras etc.

Semi-Pro Racer

I love those pics Tony, especially the startline one, with the four cars all grappling for grip.

Must be me again, but no pics from Tony.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I love those pics Tony, especially the startline one, with the four cars all grappling for grip.
    Yes Steve, this is from the reverse grid/handicap race at the NZGP beginning of 82, If the shot were expanded out, Tulloch and Crowe would be lurking menacingly as well.

Name:  P1020018.jpg
Views: 4291
Size:  145.9 KBName:  P1020017.jpg
Views: 4226
Size:  144.4 KB These next shots are of the car stripped out and as you can see I have already removed the floor.
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 08-01-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Good thing the roof is there to hold it all together.
    Looking at this makes me feel better about the Monaro.
    WOW, WOW, WOW, big underpants time.

some more photos, these are of the floor before it was removed, note how they just cut down the center of the drive shaft tunnel and opened it out then just screwed a bit of alli over the top, no wonder my seat moved during accelerating and braking and was no doubt responsible for all the stress cracks in the floor. I cut the transmission bulge out of the new floor and moved it back then welded it in and took it up into the new panel steel firewall
    Name:  P1010654.jpg
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  P1010649.jpg
Views: 4130
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  P1010650.jpg
Views: 3989
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  P1010651.jpg
Views: 3967
Size:  116.4 KB

Name:  P1010652.jpg
Views: 4020
Size:  121.9 KB

Name:  P1010653.jpg
Views: 3869
Size:  120.4 KB
    Last edited by George Sheweiry; 08-01-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Cage fits very snugly on B pillar and down onto the floor- excellent bracing.

Looking at those photos I can see why it takes so much time to get one of these cars back to its original shape and presentation. Great work George

Thanks Big Bad Dale but then it just has to be done that way really. Anyway, a few more of the inside and of the trunk before it was pulled apart.

Name:  P1010656.jpg
Views: 3895
Size:  123.9 KB

Name:  P1010655.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  Picture Folder 019.jpg
Views: 3833
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  Picture Folder 018.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  163.7 KB

[QUOTE=George Sheweiry;31499]Thanks Big Bad Dale but then it just has to be done that way really. Anyway, a few more of the inside and of the trunk before it was pulled apart.

Yikes! Its not until you see these photos that you get a real appreciation for the amount of time, effort and $$$ that went into this rebuild. Only saw the car a couple of times before, but lets just say that "mammoth" would be a serious understatement of the amount of work that this was. Top job George, and even better now that we all get to enjoy it on the racetrack again

Neat photos George, and quite revealing. Although this car took on legendary status in Australia and New Zealand, to JR and the team running it, it was just a tool, built to serve a purpose. It was modified to keep pace, and the mods didn't have to be pretty, they just had to be effective.

Yes it was a rather large task and because I am not a millionaire just a dumb electrician who has a collection of cars (too many) and races them I have to do it all myself but then I am a worker and do enjoy the challenge. I guess there's worse things in life I could be doing!! Anyway, the next shots show the suspension and parts before restoration.

Name:  P1010640.jpg
Views: 3854
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  P1010635.jpg
Views: 3799
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  P1010636.jpg
Views: 3687
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  P1010637.jpg
Views: 3632
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  P1010638.jpg
Views: 3704
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  P1010639.jpg
Views: 3615
Size:  89.4 KB

World Champion
    Hi George, congratulations on a brilliant job, the car looks fantastic. I am not sure if you have seen these shots of the old girl in Jim RIchards hands at Teretonga 1977. These are pictures taken by the late Kevin Thomson

Name:  Jim Richards (2).jpg
Views: 3764
Size:  135.4 KB

Name:  Jim Richards.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  Pat Crea leading Don Halliday Jim Richards Tony Edmondson and Jack Nazer.jpg
Size:  93.5 KB

George , dont put yr self down ....... you have done a great job & we know this its just fantastic..... hey yr pretty handy with a camera & pc also........ Hey Jim knew the deal on getting weight out of a car lots of nice holes lol , not many did , easy cheap horse power ???

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Hi George, congratulations on a brilliant job, the car looks fantastic. I am not sure if you have seen these shots of the old girl in Jim RIchards hands at Teretonga 1977. These are pictures taken by the late Kevin Thomson

Name:  Jim Richards.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  160.1 KB
    Actually, I had not looked at this photo so closely, note the damage to the right side of the front spoiler, must consult my MotorActions, Something kept the Mustang out of at least one of the Teretonga races and he, instead drove Pat Creas Cortina.