Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taupo January 19th- 20th 2019.

Roger, just a short drive for you, It would be great to see you at the Taupo GP.... no pressure!
    Cheers

World Champion
    C'mon Roger,
    The "stars" might not align like this again !
    KH

The “Legends” attending the Historic Taupo Grand Prix are...

David Simpson, Kerry Grant, Alan Boyle, Ray Stone, Spencer “Spinner” Black, Dennis Marwood and Jim Palmer.

Thanks to the above for putting the time in to come and to Dale and John for their efforts in organising this.
    Last edited by Spgeti; 01-15-2019 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    C'mon Roger,
    The "stars" might not align like this again !
    KH
    Ken H, Paul B and others, sadly my "Stars" aren't going to align either.. so missing out.
    Seeing the " Legends " list what a great group of guys ..
    as Bruce says

" David Simpson, Kerry Grant, Alan Boyle, Ray Stone, Spencer “Spinner” Black, Dennis Marwood and Jim Palmer.

Thanks to the above for putting the time in to come and to Dale and John for their efforts in organising this. "

Enjoy the weekend.

Cheers

Roger

I have just heard from one of our group that has arrived at Taupo and it is stinking HOT....

World Champion
    Bruce,
    It is just the opposite here at LAX right now where it is cold,windy and wet.
    I .might have to borrow a pair of "Grimmie's " shorts !
    Ken H [

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    I have just heard from one of our group that has arrived at Taupo and it is stinking HOT....
    Yep, currently 30.8 in the shade where I am. I think it's supposed to be about 27 in Taupo on Saturday & Sunday which probably means 30 or so at the track.

Man, its hot enough here and I am about to have my 5th swim of the day...also may have another one after walking the dogs at 11pm tonight.
    And I have to leave this for 4 days.......tough days in the office ahead.

I know one of our Racers has a cool suit....he thought ahead.

Wet the underwear-cold water- or put them in the freezer........its a cool start.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Wet the underwear-cold water- or put them in the freezer........its a cool start.
    Hi John, have PM'd you

Hot weather, Hot Racing, a Hot Weekend ..

Man, its hot enough here and I am about to have my 5th swim of the day...also may have another one after walking the dogs at 11pm tonight.
    And I have to leave this for 4 days.......tough days in the office ahead.
    Been 28 or 29 officially in Taurang the last few days, over 30 I would say !!.

Have a great weekend Guys, and good clean Racing - they are more expensive to repair these days.

Name:  Kerbside Motors #5 TR4A Sprite A35 1980 Mt Albert .jpg
Views: 704
Size:  16.8 KB

Drive Safely and remember ...... !!!!!

Name:  Pukekohe 1967 NZGP Mini, Anglia, A40 Police car .   CCI04092015 (2).jpg
Views: 538
Size:  164.2 KB

Those Boys in Blue, will be watching You.

Cheers

Roger D.

PS Ken H, so sorry to be missing the event - have a great time with all those Guys and Girls.
    Say Hi to Alan Boyle from me - he just had his 77th Birthday ..

Wetting not recommended John. Suits are flameproof - not fireproof and not really heat proof. In a fire, you'd probably get scalded through the heat transfer. Which is why we always recommended you dried your suit between races.

For the same reason, you shouldn't really wear a watch with a metal strap. Having said that, the risk of fire is relatively slim, based on the number of races most of us have attended over the years, despite the new rules with underwear and balaclavas etc. But, it is still a risk, no matter how small that risk is - but then so is being hit in the face by a wayward bird when driving a single seater.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-20-2019 at 12:21 PM.

World Champion
    I am about to head out through the Waikato and Bay of Plenty on the way to Auckland after a most enjoyable 3 days at Taupo.
    Thanks to so many of you, especially John, Bruce, Chad, Angus nd Rowan for putting up with me ( especially in confined sleeping quarters ! )
    Meeting up with old school friends, relatives, chatting with racing legends and Mr. Holmes was like magic to me.( Bucket list material )
    Plus wonderful racing..great stuff. Thanks to all and soon I will be heading back to winter but my batteries have been fully recharged.
    Cheers
    Ken H

The Demos proved to be a real hit for HSSC fans and entertaining for the spectators

I gave the Team Cambridge Monaro to Rowan Harman..aussiemonza on TRS ...he did 2 X 10 lap sessions with Ken Hydman..after 50 years he finally got his just desserts.
    Rowan had been the custodian of the Monaros Moon manifold and 4 X 48IDA Webers for many years, so this was just reward for him....also convinced him that there was NO way he could buy them back off me.
    Bruce took his buddy Chad out as well in Blue at the same time and all of a sudden it was like Coppins and Moffat in some very stylish overtaking and cornering

Bruce took his 2 daughters out in Blue, we also took Scott and Grant Hawkins-our greatest fans- for a coordinated close passing sessions in the 2 cars.

Also took some of the Taupo flaggies for 3 lap sprints for some excitement as they gave us so much of their time in supporting race day. I had to keep reminding my passengers that we as we were Historics we were actually supposed to slide through the corners

Graham Barnes son Shane also took the old mans Capri for a tankfull of fun.

I was geared up to give Spinner Black some laps in his old Monaro,, but unfortunately he didnt make it

Biggest smile of the day came from Jon Telford, Roger Davis and myself after finally getting Jen Mossman to get behind the wheel of the Mazda RX8 that was built originally just for her. She went out on the track, last seen beating Roger Williams lap record..still hasnt come in yet so we are going to send out the search parties.

Thanks BMMP for scheduling spare time between races for family and friends to enjoy the cars at pace on the track

Monaro and Blue probably did a full season of racing with demos and I think I know Taupo track better.

Extra special big thank you to Angus Fogg who was worked mercilessly for 3 days fixing all manner of car ailments, such as -hub seals on Starlets,test driving Marinas, getting new driveshaft for Blue Friday night at Vegas and checking the water on the Monaro.

Hard Workers Award would have to go to Paul B....after working tirelessly in the HMC/HSC marquee, he finally emerged for his Demo, and the cars had been packed away...next time buddy.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-21-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    I am about to head out through the Waikato and Bay of Plenty on the way to Auckland after a most enjoyable 3 days at Taupo.
    Thanks to so many of you, especially John, Bruce, Chad, Angus nd Rowan for putting up with me ( especially in confined sleeping quarters ! )
    Meeting up with old school friends, relatives, chatting with racing legends and Mr. Holmes was like magic to me.( Bucket list material )
    Plus wonderful racing..great stuff. Thanks to all and soon I will be heading back to winter but my batteries have been fully recharged.
    Cheers
    Ken H
    Glad you enjoyed your self Kenny, the travel distance shows what a dedicated fan you are and your tireless work is very much appreciated.

Bruce.

The Demos proved to be a real hit for HSSC fans and entertaining for the spectators

I gave the Team Cambridge Monaro to Rowan Harman..aussiemonza on TRS ...he did 2 X 10 lap sessions with Ken Hydman..after 50 years he finally got his just desserts.
    Rowan had been the custodian of the Monaros Moon manifold and 4 X 48IDA Webers for many years, so this was just reward for him....also convinced him that there was NO way he could buy them back off me.
    Bruce took his buddy Chad out as well in Blue at the same time and all of a sudden it was like Coppins and Moffat in some very stylish overtaking and cornering

Bruce took his 2 daughters out in Blue, we also took Scott and Grant Hawkins-our greatest fans- for a coordinated close passing sessions in the 2 cars.

Also took some of the Taupo flaggies for 3 lap sprints for some excitement as they gave us so much of their time in supporting race day. I had to keep reminding my passengers that we as we were Historics we were actually supposed to slide through the corners

Graham Barnes son Shane also took the old mans Capri for a tankfull of fun.

I was geared up to give Spinner Black some laps in his old Monaro,, but unfortunately he didnt make it

Biggest smile of the day came from Jon Telford, Roger Davis and myself after finally getting Jen Mossman to get behind the wheel of the Mazda RX8 that was built originally just for her. She went out on the track, last seen beating Roger Williams lap record..still hasnt come in yet so we are going to send out the search parties.

Thanks BMMP for scheduling spare time between races for family and friends to enjoy the cars at pace on the track

Monaro and Blue probably did a full season of racing with demos and I think I know Taupo track better.

Extra special big thank you to Angus Fogg who was worked mercilessly for 3 days fixing all manner of car ailments, such as -hub seals on Starlets,test driving Marinas, getting new driveshaft for Blue Friday night at Vegas and checking the water on the Monaro.

Hard Workers Award would have to go to Paul B....after working tirelessly in the HMC/HSC marquee, he finally emerged for his Demo, and the cars had been packed away...next time buddy.
    John Mck .. thanks for the story - A great weekend for you all, Cheers.
    P S - Spgeti has posted quite a few photos on a Facebook page - including your Beauty in the pits and on track.
    With his permission I could edit and post them on here - give me a day or two to organise..
    Cheers
    Roger D

Help yourself Roger and just please credit the Photographer. Stuart Short and Nigel Watts have taken some fantastic photos.
    Mike Feisst runs our Website and is on TRS.

HMC/HSC had one of the best race events we have ever had. Great racing by our Racers, no damage apart from breakages, and a very happy team of helpers.

I will leave it up to Dale to give a report on the action.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    Help yourself Roger and just please credit the Photographer. Stuart Short and Nigel Watts have taken some fantastic photos.
    Mike Feisst runs our Website and is on TRS.

HMC/HSC had one of the best race events we have ever had. Great racing by our Racers, no damage apart from breakages, and a very happy team of helpers.

I will leave it up to Dale to give a report on the action.

Cheers
    Cheers Spgeti, will of course credit the photog's .. So pleased to read it was a great event ..

This from Nigel W .. to start ..

Name:  Cars #121 Team Cambridge Monaro Taupo 2018 Nigel Watts photo .jpg
Views: 493
Size:  125.8 KB

Jen Mossman got some track time in her Chev powered Mazda RX 7. This car was built for Jen a few years back and started with a 327 small block. Now owned by John Telford who kindly offered Jen the drive.
    Jen is the only female, or one of the very few to break 60 seconds in a saloon car at Bay Park.

The car was built it maybe 1991 Its a tube chassis built by her ex husband Greg. They brought the Grant Brennans RX7 and dumped most of it but kept the IMSA body kit. Jennifer had the ex Brett Willis commodore for a few season prior, so they stripped it out and used the mechanicals in the Mazda.
    The best bits the engine. ( the bones of it now in the Graeme Park Marina). its a Fisher 310 cube, and powered the 1982 US Transam championship winning DeAtley Camaro, ( with drivers Willie T Ribbs, and David Hobbs)
    Additional info by Roger Davis.

Name:  Jen in John Telford RX8 a.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  187.7 KBName:  Jen in John Telford RX8 b.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  185.9 KBName:  Jen in John Telford RX8 c.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  185.3 KB
    Last edited by Bruce302; 01-22-2019 at 09:58 AM.