Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Taupo January 19th- 20th 2019.

The most important thing here is that this formula works, and they want us back next year.
    Great fun , and I will make sure Blues battery has a decent charge then
    Huge thanks to Cam bringing his 1939 Chev Coupe up from Taupo... theres a dedicated rodder for you.
    Great to see Craig in the Zephyr MK2 with stacks through the bonnet...Rod Coppins drove this at Ardmore, Jim Richards drove it at the Wellington street race. Tony Antonievich brought out the Custom Card Camaro for a fun run so did Jamie Bennenbroek- Torana XU1 V8, Ron Findlay ex Graeme Clarke Capri V8, Roger Davis-Torana SLR5000 and Graeme Park.Marian Coupe V8
    Also big rap for Adrian Dobbe , Club Captain for running our end,having the HSSC popup there and our souvenir T-shirts and hats available to the public....and running his Viva Torana XU1
    Never felt like a race day, different atmosphere...laid back fun club day..
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 02-18-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    There was a display time when the attendees could walk around the HSS cars and a selection of the Hot Rods on the front straight.
    It was good talking with people who love all things automotive, and from the people I spoke to they loved seeing the cars on the track, making noise and a spectacle.

Attachment 60606
    To run this as an actual motor racing meeting would require MSNZ licensing and that maybe were the problems begin...…..Dale M

So instead of promoting and having a "race meeting", why not just call it a practice day or something similar. I don't think the punters would be overly concerned if the cars weren't actually racing each other as long as they were going fast and making a lot of noise.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel watts View Post
    So instead of promoting and having a "race meeting", why not just call it a practice day or something similar. I don't think the punters would be overly concerned if the cars weren't actually racing each other as long as they were going fast and making a lot of noise.
    It depends on what they are trying to do Nigel. Even a sprint meeting is run under a basic clubsport licence and is limited on laps and cars on the grid.
    It still require all the safety ie Ambulance and flag Marshall’s etc plus a CotC. It’s not so simple unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    To run this as an actual motor racing meeting would require MSNZ licensing and that maybe were the problems begin...…..Dale M
    Exactly right Dale, it was not racing but a mobile display of cars. We were under strict instructions to keep everything subdued and appropriate for a demonstration.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Exactly right Dale, it was not racing but a mobile display of cars. We were under strict instructions to keep everything subdued and appropriate for a demonstration.

Bruce.
    Interesting Bruce T...……..and this would be because someone has to take responsibility should an accident occur hence your strict instructions and since this event didn't come under a MSNZ permit it would not be covered under the MSNZ insurance package.

In todays PC world this is what most don't understand but the likes of myself and Bruce soon found out running our groups...……….18 months back I was about to shut HMC down because I found out I was personally liable for everyone's actions "on" and "off" the track, I even asked those racing in our group for funding so I could buy insurance and no one wanted to pay(figures) so who the hell needs that when its just a hobby. Dale M

World Champion
    Speaking of insurance, imagine having coverage on this lot as they seem to do this every weekend !

Name:  2019 Daytona crash.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  179.1 KB
    2019 Daytona 500 Mile Race 20 miles from the finish !

Although there are a lot of spectators who come to see this sort of thing.
    Daytona crowd scene.
    Name:  daytona 500-crowd.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  179.0 KB

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-19-2019 at 12:20 AM.

And I lived there, I would be in the crowd also.....awesome, what an atmosphere

Interesting Bruce T...……..and this would be because someone has to take responsibility should an accident occur hence your strict instructions and since this event didn't come under a MSNZ permit it would not be covered under the MSNZ insurance package.

In todays PC world this is what most don't understand but the likes of myself and Bruce soon found out running our groups...……….18 months back I was about to shut HMC down because I found out I was personally liable for everyone's actions "on" and "off" the track, I even asked those racing in our group for funding so I could buy insurance and no one wanted to pay(figures) so who the hell needs that when its just a hobby. Dale M
    We ran at Winged Thunder 9 on Sunday at Harrisville Speedway ( right next to Ohakea Air Force Base ), an outlaw meeting for Sprintcars, midgets, Minisprints, and modifieds. It's an outlaw event in the true sense of the word - the bloke built himself a speedway oval in his paddock, and runs it his way. No Speedway NZ rules / limitations / fees and charges / no scrutineering, it's about personal responsibility, and he ENCOURAGES us to run open headers - the biggest trophy for the weekend is for the first Sprintcar across the line with open headers ( we claimed that one ). Start time - what else but High Noon. Best weekend I've had for a long time, probably helps that we cleaned up at Palmerston North Speedway the night before with both cars too.....

2 more meetings at Western Springs speedway this season - Saturday 2nd March ( final round of the Rolling Thunder Series ), and final night 16 March with bonus demo derby and fireworks. Pits open to the public all night ( no open footwear ), posters for the kids ( young and old ) racing starts at 6pm with non stop action until 10:30. We'll be there looking to finish the season off with some good results.
    Last edited by Andrew Metford; 02-19-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Metford View Post
    We ran at Winged Thunder 9 on Sunday at Harrisville Speedway ( right next to Ohakea Air Force Base ), an outlaw meeting for Sprintcars, midgets, Minisprints, and modifieds. It's an outlaw event in the true sense of the word - the bloke built himself a speedway oval in his paddock, and runs it his way. No Speedway NZ rules / limitations / fees and charges / no scrutineering, it's about personal responsibility, and he ENCOURAGES us to run open headers - the biggest trophy for the weekend is for the first Sprintcar across the line with open headers ( we claimed that one ). Start time - what else but High Noon. Best weekend I've had for a long time, probably helps that we cleaned up at Palmerston North Speedway the night before with both cars too.....

2 more meetings at Western Springs speedway this season - Saturday 2nd March ( final round of the Rolling Thunder Series ), and final night 16 March with bonus demo derby and fireworks. Pits open to the public all night ( no open footwear ), posters for the kids ( young and old ) racing starts at 6pm with non stop action until 10:30. We'll be there looking to finish the season off with some good results.
    Andrew, Unless he has his own personal insurance he's taking a hell-off a risk. Just because his track is privately owned and on private property doesn't mean he's immune from responsibility or liability. He may think hes OK and all good, but wait until someone gets injured or at worst killed then he'll find out because once government departments step in look out.....

Personally I admire a guy like this, prepared to have a go but the system is against him and only getting worst. The problem I had was I didn't have the affordability for Lawyer protection, etc to protect myself from a long draw out legal battle(at worst case), but maybe he's wealthy enough not to care? Dale M

Name:  daytona 500-crowd.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  179.0 KB

That's not a Pukekoke club meeting in the early 70s by any chance is it?

World Champion
    Or Ardmore in 1961 with a field like this;
    Name:  1961 NZGP field at Ardmore.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  174.9 KB
    Anyone care to add up all the Formula One races won by the drivers in this remarkable group ?

And a parking lot like this !
    Name:  Ardmore. 1961.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  186.0 KB

It took hours to get out of the parking lot onto a road after the racing but we all enjoyed the day.
    (Just a radio report and NO TV. )

Ken H
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 02-21-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Andrew, Unless he has his own personal insurance he's taking a hell-off a risk. Just because his track is privately owned and on private property doesn't mean he's immune from responsibility or liability. He may think hes OK and all good, but wait until someone gets injured or at worst killed then he'll find out because once government departments step in look out.....

Personally I admire a guy like this, prepared to have a go but the system is against him and only getting worst. The problem I had was I didn't have the affordability for Lawyer protection, etc to protect myself from a long draw out legal battle(at worst case), but maybe he's wealthy enough not to care? Dale M
    Just maybe he knows what he is doing, has received legal advice and is not buying into the hyped up stuff allowing self appointed regulators to make money from amateurs having fun.

The guy is a pretty sharp operator, I'm sure he's all over that stuff. The way he has the whole place set up is wonderful, there's a saloon ( fully licensed ), nice fencing, hay bales to sit on etc. He also does functions and weddings etc at the place. It's a decent set-up, better ( and run better ) than some "professional" outfits………..