Thread: RIP Geoff Bonham

RIP Geoff Bonham

Sadly, Geoff passed away last night. Many of you will not heard of Geoff, but when I took over what was the BMC Series, back in 1996, Geoff started competing with his dark green MGB GT, usually carrying #40.

Initially, we had a little sponsorship from the MGCC Wellington, but Geoff offered to sponsor the Series and many of you will know it through his company, Leisuretime Spa & Pool Covers, which naturally enough led to the naming rights and the Leisuretime Race Series.

Geoff continued to drive the venerable MGB GT and if he was overseas or occasionally, a driver was without a car, Geoff would hand over his car, so it was that it was also driven by Glen Thompson and even "Racing Ray" Williams.

Having dealt with several sponsors over the years, Geoff was far and away not only the most generous but also the only one who ever coughed up the agreed fee without being prompted.

At the time of his 4th daughter's marriage and having suffered a heart hiccup, Geoff decided to hang up his race helmet and also sell the MGB GT and the trailer. I bought both... I have since re-acquired the MG and I still have the trailer.

Geoff was an active member of the Takapuna Community Board and also a Rotarian and I was lucky enough to be invited to a couple of meetings, one of which was a visit to the Fernyhough private car collection; another at which I gave a talk about the classic race scene. I was also invited to the Aussie V8's at Pukekohe and to share a corporate box.

A lovely man and will be missed by Nora, his daughters and not forgetting best pal Murray Baber, who probably got Geoff into racing.

I was expecting to be able to take the MGB along to a funeral, but it is currently not road registered and is down at Hampton Downs and no longer carries the Leisuretime Sponsorship.
    Name:  197_1109_305 MGB.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  98.4 KB

My one and only attempt at portrait painting, celebrating 10 years of his sponsorship of the series in 2007.

Name:  207_paint10.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  83.0 KB

PS: Have had a request from Murray Baber to get the car up, next Wednesday, and I will, so will publish more details when available.
    Last edited by ERC; 01-22-2019 at 04:31 AM.

From my corner of the world, the Tradezone / AES series wouldn't be what it is today without the long-term efforts of Geoff, and Ray Green, in sponsorship and organisation respectively. We have had a wonderful 30 years, and the bulk of it is thanks to these 2 gentlemen, and as we all know, you can't do anything without cash and Geoff was very charitable towards the series, while being a very down to earth gentleman. RIP Geoff, another good bloke gone, but not forgotten.

Thanks Andrew. Much appreciated.

Does anyone have contact details for ex-Leisuretime racer, Jeff Page? My email to him bounced back.

Folks, this message was sent to me by Chris Graham regarding Geoff's funeral:

Hello.

I am Chris Graham owner of Leisuretime Spa & Pool covers I worked with Geoff Bonham for many years not a week went by I did not chat to him.

Here is his service information if you could be so kind to put it up its public.

The funeral is next Wed 30th at 11am at St Joseph's Church, Taharoto Rd, Takapuna.
    And Milford Cruising Club after.
    Any Questions or messages to pass on to his daughters and wife can be sent to Chris - Graham info@leisuretimecovers.co.nz

Thanks
    Chris Graham
    Owner Director

If any racers or ex racers are going to the funeral, we'll have the MGB outside the church (and later at the Milford Cruising Club). Drivers may like to carry helmets?

January 2003, the Leisuretime and Tracers series cars.
    Name:  203_0125_002.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  130.0 KB

In 2007, Jeff Page gave a great tribute to Geoff at our annual awards dinner. needless to say, Geoff thoroughly enjoyed it! Seen here with wife Nora.Name:  207_0811_06 Geoff Bonham.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  108.5 KB