Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1970 Camaro Build Thread – From GT Racer To Historic Racer

Did you test at Hampton yesterday Steve? you all happy with it?

Dale Mathers

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Did you test at Hampton yesterday Steve? you all happy with it?

Dale Mathers
    Dale,managed to get a few laps in, to bed in brakes, scuff tyres, and general shake down.
    Apart from some tyre rubbing on guards, there were no issues.
    The car moves around a lot on 255 toyos, while we find what pressure is optimum. I will look forward to further test on thursday.
    Certainly doesnt have the punch of a big block ,but more than makes up for it in revs. Lively little suckers these small blocks.

Ha ha ha, I guess your gear changing arm has got lazy from years of driving big block torque-monsters Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by vette8 View Post
    Dale,managed to get a few laps in, to bed in brakes, scuff tyres, and general shake down.
    Apart from some tyre rubbing on guards, there were no issues.
    The car moves around a lot on 255 toyos, while we find what pressure is optimum. I will look forward to further test on thursday.
    Certainly doesnt have the punch of a big block ,but more than makes up for it in revs. Lively little suckers these small blocks.
    Steady as it goes Steve, took me a good year to fine tune the Mustang once built, and also had to learning to drive it!! but after 7 years its all sorted. With the Toyo's, i start at 23 to 25 cold and don't let them go over 30, when you check Toyo's website it tells the opposite which i tried but i found doesn't work? go figure?

Do you have a good finished picture for up on here?

Dale Mathers

Thats , interesting about pressures Dale, as I read the Toyo website recomendations, in disbelief.
    Anyway I tried 40 psi, and slid everywhere, thinking it was just new the tyres scuffing off crap. Lowered to 37 , still thinking Toyo must know what they are talking about, and it was still very loose.( I was beginning to think I could take up drifting )
    Thats all we had time for on saturday, so I will try 30 psi hot, with the knowledge of years of past experience with other brands of tyres, we have never had pressures that high.
    I look forward to see how you get on with the bluestreaks.

Amazing how different it looks, back in original dress, Beautiful. If it goes half as good as it looks that will be great, and I do not doubt it will go.
    As mentioned before, well done and a credit to all involved. Will be in for good look on Friday.

Im quietly confident my Mustang will go just fine on the Blue Streaks Steve, having raced John Watkins blue Boss 302 at Sears Point a few years ago i do know how they feel, and when he raced at Hampton 2 years ago he ended up outside pole with 2nd quickest time!! pretty good for his first event at Hampton!!

Yeap, lower those tyre pressures Steve, the Mustang felt just as you described and i keep bringing the pressures back until it felt good, Hoffman, Narain etc all done the same and couldn't believe the difference, like i said "go figure"

Anyway, well done Steve, where in for a great weekend so lets hope the weather holds up.

Dale Mathers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks awesome Steve. Great job!

Just bumping this thread up as i've had a few ask about Camaros for HMC.

Dale M

What`s the Camaro - Mustang HMC numbers ratio now Dale?

About 8 of each currently, 16 Mustangs and Camaro's on the grid at once, hell thats a race in itself!! but the proposed future Camaro's looking to come ontrack will out number the Mustangs.

Dale M

Had to forward info from this posting today to another probable 70 Camaro coming to HMC which prompted me to add this picture.....Murray has now done several seasons under the HMC umbrella and will continue to do so again this season.

A great Dewi Jones picture from Australia
    Attached Images Attached Images