Quote Originally Posted by ERC View Post
I am a far better reader than mechanic (or driver...).

My earliest stirrings about motorsport were generated via Dad's bookshelf with books such as Birkin's "Full Throttle", and "Bits and Pieces" on Bira. I have a substantial book, magazine and memorabilia collection and frightened myself silly when I opted to value one shelf full of the better book offerings, that include all 3 magnificent books on BRM by Doug Nye and 2 copies of David Weguelin's ERA (both bought by me, with one for Dad).

Some are less valuable but a great read - in no particular order:

"Down the Hatch - Tony Lanfranchi" (hilarious at times...)

"Alf Francis, Racing Mechanic" - Stirling Moss' mechanic

"To Finish First, Phil Kerr" - brilliantly written

"The Other Side Of The Hill - by Bette Hill" - Graham Hill was my car hero alongside Moss...

"Back From the Brink - Sir Michael Edwardes" - what really happened to British Leyland

Just about any of Jeremy Clarkson's books. Laugh out loud - and often.

I have just finished Tom Bower's book on Bernie Ecclestone, which is a real eye opener and also "Just Call Me Charlie", by Lord Charles Brocket, the Ferrari collector who ended up in the nick. As a former UK Prison Officer from 1967-1973, I was somewhat disturbed by several aspects of this well written book.

I am currently re-reading a magical story featuring a flying Ford Anglia...

Regarding the flying Anglia, most of the adult population up here isn't familiar with the 105E shape. However there is a whole generation of young 'uns who recognise the Anglia thanks to Ms Rowling's books. A friend of mine who has a road going Anglebox is constantly regaled by Harry Potter fans - 'that's the Weasley car!".

And regarding racing books, I've just read Eoin Young's excellent book Memories of the Bear. Shame I can't make it to the festival but planning for next year....