SPR Models
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Historic New Zealand Racing Cars Book

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Historic New Zealand Racing Cars Book

    Name:  66288368_2390941334278244_2004361834320101376_n.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  184.0 KB

    This is it folks. I spent a good chunk of 2017/18 working on this project; Historic New Zealand Racing Cars. Its now finally in the shops or available to purchase online.

    Historic New Zealand Racing Cars is 192 pages long, hardcover, and includes the histories of 18 race cars covering the late 1940s through 1980s. The cars featured were either built and raced in NZ, or built internationally but with NZ history. They include single seaters, sports cars, and saloons.

    I chose the cars based on their interest level, and/or creativity, rather than their on-track successes. The variety is pretty broad, from Denny Hulme's 1968 Can-Am Championship winning McLaren M8A, right through to the little Paton Ford.

    The retail price is around NZ$40. The book is available in all good book stores, or online through MightyApe: https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...dback/30462190

    The following are a small number of images for the opening spread for each car.

    I couldn't have achieved this without the help and input from so many Roaring Season members, so this is something we can all take pride in. Thanks to you all.

  2. #2

  3. #3

  4. #4

  5. #5

  6. #6

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Would you happen to have any of these still available that you can sign Steve?

  9. #9
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    2,401
    Quote Originally Posted by 9lives View Post
    Would you happen to have any of these still available that you can sign Steve?
    9lives - send Steve a PM or Email " theroaringseason@gmail.com " - He did indicate some were available a few weeks back ..
    Cheers
    Roger D ..

  10. #10
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    2,401
    Looking Good Steve - a copy will be finding its way to my place soon [ Birthday in a couple of months - sorted ].

    There is an article on the Lycoming by Donn Anderson [ Motorman Man ] in the latest " NZ Classic Car ", and off course that article in the UK Magazine " Classic and Sportscar " on the RA Vanguard.

    A Big effort - Cheers

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Looking Good Steve - a copy will be finding its way to my place soon [ Birthday in a couple of months - sorted ].

    There is an article on the Lycoming by Donn Anderson [ Motorman Man ] in the latest " NZ Classic Car ", and off course that article in the UK Magazine " Classic and Sportscar " on the RA Vanguard.

    A Big effort - Cheers
    Thanks Roger, much appreciated. And yes, its good these old NZ Specials are getting wider recognition. Seeing the RA Vanguard in Classic & Sports Car was a really neat thing.

  12. #12
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    2,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Roger, much appreciated. And yes, its good these old NZ Specials are getting wider recognition. Seeing the RA Vanguard in Classic & Sports Car was a really neat thing.
    Good also to see the acknowledgements in the book include a number of us TRS guys, thanks and Cheers.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Roger, much appreciated. And yes, its good these old NZ Specials are getting wider recognition. Seeing the RA Vanguard in Classic & Sports Car was a really neat thing.
    Great interview on National Radio on Sunday morning Steve !

  14. #14
    Good news Steve, I will order a couple of copies online, obviously I'm especially looking forward to the Bennett A40 article!
    And regarding the A40, I've optimistically booked for Watkins Glen historics event this September although realistically have a slim chance of prepping the car in time because of the slow progress here repairing last Septembers hurricane damage.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Good news Steve, I will order a couple of copies online, obviously I'm especially looking forward to the Bennett A40 article!
    And regarding the A40, I've optimistically booked for Watkins Glen historics event this September although realistically have a slim chance of prepping the car in time because of the slow progress here repairing last Septembers hurricane damage.
    Grant, we know the A40 is fast, but dont tell us you were out chasing Hurricanes in this....excellent pursuit vehicle though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Grant, we know the A40 is fast, but dont tell us you were out chasing Hurricanes in this....excellent pursuit vehicle though.
    Hopefully no more hurricanes the size of Florence to deal with! I plan to register the A40 for road use as Peter Bennett did in NZ, so I can give it a run/systems check before heading off to the track.

    Regarding the books, I'm expecting a couple to be in my PO Box when I get back to North Carolina this weekend. Looking forward to stretching out on the couch with the books, Brit GP and Toronto Indycar TV.

  17. #17
    Hi Steve, Does the book have a page on the Coppins Zephyr corvette? Colin

  18. #18
    Semi-Pro Racer Spgeti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Feilding NZ
    Posts
    775
    Bought yesterday and a wet weekend read this weekend. Great addition to my book collection.

    Thanks Steve.

  19. #19
    World Champion Roger Dowding's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Omokoroa Beach Bay of Plenty NZ
    Posts
    2,401
    My reply is the repeat of Bruce " Spgeti " message above except ;
    " Bought today and a wet weekend read " and when I get home again to read further.
    Have glanced at the Lycoming article and a couple of others.
    The list is great but believe you have left enough for a second book;
    Morrari
    Zephyr Corvette
    MacMillan - Logan / Northland Special
    are but three i can think of
    Cheers Steve.

    P.S. You can send my " Sports Car Talk " Magazine back now - If all finished with.
    Roger

  20. #20
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Olivos, California, 93441
    Posts
    2,643
    I think I almost made it onto the cover of Steve's book. How close was I Steve ?
    At the December 1975 Bay Park meet I had the privilege of being able to stand on the back of a blue/white Bedford tow truck and take some photos as the events took place. A 24 frame film, so limited shots in slide form.
    The first Philip Robinson photo shows Leo Leonard and in the background is the above mentioned tow truck.
    Name:  Baypark_%20Dec_%201975_.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  185.5 KB
    (Philip Robinson photo)

    This is the cars on the first warm up lap on the back straight.
    Name:  1975 Baypark.# 9jpg.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  184.2 KB

    Later we moved to the turn leading onto the start/ finish.
    Name:  1975 Baypark # 6...jpg
Views: 508
Size:  177.7 KB

    Name:  1975 Baypark # 2.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  184.7 KB

    Name:  A783116_001 (4).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  167.6 KB

    Name:  A783116_002 (2).jpg
Views: 511
Size:  152.2 KB
    (Ken Hyndman photos.. )
    Anyone recognized in the crowd ?

    Best of sales with the book Steve.
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-15-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •