Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Historic New Zealand Racing Cars Book

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Book and other matters !!

Ken H - you should qualify for the Long Distance Award and Steve should send you a copy P and P free.

Mac -your question - No the Zephyr Corvette - the Coppins Car is not in this book.
    There are stories on 18 cars in it.
    The photo shots in the first few posts by Steve show all 18
    [ 3 at a Post ]
    - so Steve has room for at least a couple more books..We are hoping..

Here is a car that could appear in one the next book(s)..There is mention that a South Island Book would be good- as an ex-Jafa, now in the Bop maybe the next two books could take an Island each to be fair to us all - just thinking

Recently restored [ 2014/15 ] the ex Briggs ex Leversedge and others Briggs Mercury Special.
    Photo from restorer and current owner Steve Day.
    Could be a bit of a feature on the car on my Dunedin thread, after I have finished the Jim Bennett stories.

A Monochrome shot
    Name:  Cars #185 C Briggs Mercury rebuld 2014-15 B W Steve Day ,jpg (640x480) (2).jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  120.0 KB

and in colour - as Steve's photo is.
    Name:  Cars #185 B Briggs Mercury rebuld 2014-15 Steve Day ,jpg (640x480).jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  133.5 KB

The photo from the Nelson Mail of Peter chasing Wally Darrell ACE in the Briggs Mercury in the 1960's at Tahuna.
    Looking up the Graham Vercoe Book " Historic Racing Cars of New Zealand " rather than " Historic New Zealand Racing Cars " of Steve Holmes - the Briggs Mercury gets only a small 2 paragraph mention and no photo..

Name:  Motor Racing South Island #61 B Tahuna Beach Races 1965 06021965 issue p2 Nelson Photo news  (2).jpg
Views: 18405
Size:  165.6 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 07-16-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Steve I also heard your interview on RNZ National on Sunday morning and wanted to commend you on how you came across.

I am not sure if anyone at NZ Classic Car is reviewing the book but I will be happy to - I will enquire.

Well done - I have a little knowledge of what is required to put a book together so top marks!

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your kind words about the book. I really appreciate it. I definitely couldn't have done it without the great contributors to this forum.

Thanks also to those who gave feedback on my radio interview with Jim Mora. Its a bummer nobody told Jim how much time we had, and it was cut short just as I'd started talking about Bruce McLaren.

Weekend Warrior
    Picked up a copy today. unfortunately I can not put it down ( luckily it is wet) Am enjoying it, thanks Steve.