Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Peter Hanna Collection - Part 1

The Peter Hanna Collection - Part 1

Name:  ph7.jpg
Views: 3443
Size:  89.0 KB

Most New Zealand motor racing enthusiasts will be familiar with the name Peter Hanna. Hanna was the head of a misfit group of characters who promoted the Bay Park motorsport facility, in Tauranga, NZ. Hanna, along with his mate Graham Pierce, thrust an upright middle finger at the New Zealand motorsport hierarchy, and ran their events their way. When New Zealand motorsport was very much biased towards single seaters, Hanna and Pierce pushed saloon car racing.

Bay Park was the first venue in New Zealand to host a race for Formula 5000, but the track was really one in which saloon cars were given top billing. Hanna understood the pulling power of tin-tops, and great effort was put into assembling a quality field of the top NZ machines, at their three big seasonal events; Labour Weekend, Christmas, and Easter.

For the most part, Hanna and Pierce would arrange to have at least one international car and driver present for at least one of these events, most usually the big Christmas event, when the Bay of Plenty was heaving was holiday goers. Often times they'd import up to three cars. But the pay-off would be in the crowd numbers. At their 1970 Christmas event, they had Australians Terry Allan and Bryan Thomson in their big block Camaros, along with American Joe Chamberlain in his Trans-Am Camaro, plus all the top Kiwi cars, and such was the crowd attendance that day, they had to turn people away at the gate, as they had a full-house.

For motorsport photographers wanting to gain the best vantage points at Bay Park, Peter Hanna required they give him half a dozen photos from each event, with which he could do as he pleased. Over the years he assembled a massive collection.

Roaring Season member Dale Mathers got to know Peter Hanna and those associated with Bay Park well. Dale grew up in Tauranga, and his father was the President for the Bay of Plenty Stockcar And Saloon Car Club, whose speedway track was inside the Bay Park circuit racing venue.

A couple of years before his death, Dale was visiting Peter, who, in his usual gruff manner, said to Dale, "Here, you like this Ford shit, have these", and with that, he thrust a pile of old Bay Park racing photographs at him. Most of the photos are of saloon cars, not surprising really, and there is a fairly strong Ford bias, but these photos, of which were only a very tiny part of Peter's collection, are fascinating.

Dale sent me these photos some years ago, and I've asked his permission to create a thread dedicated to them. Hopefully Dale and others associated with Bay Park will share their memories of this incredible place, and the colourful folk who ran it, just to help bring this story to life.

OK, these aren't in any sort of order sorry. Can anyone ID the GTHO Phase II (or Phase I?)in the first shot? I should know who is driving the Phase III and Charger in the last shot, but names escape me right now. Will plug them in as soon as my memory returns! Unless someone beats me to it.

The Porsche is that of Pete Geoghegan which was owned by Laurie O'Niel. This is the car Pete raced after the Super Falcon, but before the Craven Mild Monaro, which was also owned by O'Niel. The white GTHO Phase III is that of Richard Brocklehurst. Where is this car now? The Capri is obviously Paul Faheys, which Roaring Season member Roger Townshend now owns.

Name:  ph2.jpg
Views: 8384
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  ph1.jpg
Views: 3365
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  ph3.jpg
Views: 3330
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  ph4.jpg
Views: 3229
Size:  105.7 KB

Name:  ph5.jpg
Views: 3288
Size:  109.6 KB

Starting off here with John McCormacks radical mid engined Repco Charger. Then a couple of shots of Red Dawsons Shelby Mustang, the first from the 1968/69 season, the second from Dawsons championship winning 1969/70 season. Then a couple of shots of Allan Moffats Mustang in its Brut 33 colours, when it raced at Bay Park during the 1973/74 season. The first shot appears to be a publicity shot.

Name:  ph6.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  ph7.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  ph8.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  ph9.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  76.9 KB

Name:  ph10.jpg
Views: 2808
Size:  88.4 KB

I should point out, the first Dawson shot still has the NZ signage on its rear quarters after Dawson had raced the car in Australia.

Kicking off here with a very early shot of the Spinner Black/Rod Coppins Camaro during the 1968/69 season, prior to its cigarette sponsorship. The grid shot shows, from left, Rod Coppins (ex Pete Geoghegan Mustang), Paul Fahey, Red Dawson on the front row, with Norm Beechey in his Nova in behind Dawson. Whats interesting about this is that Beechey appeared with a Camaro in 1968, which was his replacement for the Nova, so why was he back racing the Nova again here?

#141 is John Riley in the ex-Geoghegan/Coppins Mustang, and, finally, Leo Leonard and Jack Nazer battle during the 1975/76 season. These two rubbed panels on several occasions this season.

Name:  ph11.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  ph12.jpg
Views: 2857
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  ph13.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  108.7 KB

Name:  ph14.jpg
Views: 2904
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  ph15.jpg
Views: 2960
Size:  117.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    What's interesting about this is that Beechey appeared with a Camaro in 1968, which was his replacement for the Nova, so why was he back racing the Nova again here?
    May have been racing the Camaro in a late-season meeting in Australia, and sent the Nova on by boat to make the race deadline easily.
    But what's much more likely is that his appearance at the previous December '67 meeting in the Nova in its' black Neptune livery introduced the crowd to the spectacle of not just a tough race driver in action, but the emergence of an actual motorsport showman, with a larger-than-life persona, an energetic, happy, positive bloke who drove with glee, sliding and wrestling the previously-unseen Nova to victory at their first attempt at an International event in Bay Park's inaugural year. I would think when the time came to get Stormin' Norm Beechey back again, the Nova would have been the first-requested accessory !

Spencer 'Spinner' Black was driving a Falcon GTHO, numbered 93 and sponsored by E. W. Tappenden & Sons Ltd at the April 11, 1971 meeting at Bay Park.

Thanks for the sharing Steve. My latest memories of Peter include him laying out photos on the big table in his office opposite the fire station before shuffling them into groups in manilla envelopes, the raspy gruff droll observations and the ever-present pack of Rothmans 20s. Unimaginable character today and it's great that at least some of his collection is alive, hopefully more (including what you have Steve) will emerge soon.

Thanks for that info Milan, that makes plenty of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Maunder View Post
    Thanks for the sharing Steve. My latest memories of Peter include him laying out photos on the big table in his office opposite the fire station before shuffling them into groups in manilla envelopes, the raspy gruff droll observations and the ever-present pack of Rothmans 20s. Unimaginable character today and it's great that at least some of his collection is alive, hopefully more (including what you have Steve) will emerge soon.
    Yep, that has a lot of merit. Beechey smoked the Kiwis when he visited the previous season in the Nova. Despite its drum brakes, he'd developed it into a very fast car, and was comfortably leading the single race Australian Touring Car Championship in 1967 when a tyre blew and he bounced off a wall. The Camaro first appeared in May 1968, and was Beecheys weapon of choice for the '68 ATCC at Warwick Farm over the Nova. Apparently he only raced the Camaro four times. For 1969 he had a new HK Monaro, and the Camaro vanished, while the Nova was sold to John Kay, so his Bay Park exploits must have been one of the last events he did in this car.

Jim Richards and the Sidchrome Mustang.

Name:  ph16.jpg
Views: 7980
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  ph17.jpg
Views: 2925
Size:  115.1 KB

Name:  ph18.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  ph19.jpg
Views: 2755
Size:  105.4 KB

Name:  ph20.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  91.0 KB

More from the Christmas 1968 meeting.

Name:  ph21.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  ph22.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  ph23.jpg
Views: 2787
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  ph24.jpg
Views: 2763
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  ph25.jpg
Views: 2765
Size:  94.2 KB

Scott Wisemans E Type included here.

Name:  ph26.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  120.7 KB

Name:  ph27.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  ph28.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  ph29.jpg
Views: 2790
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  ph30.jpg
Views: 2775
Size:  126.7 KB

Some production car action from the 1973/74/75 seasons. Jim Richards appears twice in the Team McMillan XA Falcon GT. Leo Leonard is shown is his rapid E49 Charger. Whose it the red E49 on the grid next to Leo in the fourth shot?

Name:  ph31.jpg
Views: 3272
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  ph32.jpg
Views: 3731
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  ph33.jpg
Views: 2822
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  ph34.jpg
Views: 4238
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  ph35.jpg
Views: 3029
Size:  116.8 KB

Not completly sure but the red Charger with Monaco Motors could have been Howard Collier (Capt. Howdie) as he raced one back then.

Brown coloured HO on front row could be Brian Patrick i think in the car called "Twitch". Apparently this car just sold just a while back, will do research.

Semi-Pro Racer
    This list of names in no set order might help fill in some gaps, that E49 with Monaco on it Im sure if I went looking I could find a driver.. Ralph Emson-XU1, Inky Tulloch XA GT/ E49, Jim Little E49, Ron Rutherford E49, Pat Monoghan GTHO Ph2[ex Sprague]-E49[red][silver], Patrick Smith GTHO Ph3?

Patrick Smith thats the one Jac Mac in the HO. Brian Patrick was Brimar Imp a little different ah. Going to Mangawhai now so will drop in and see if howard is home and get info, pretty sure it is him in red Charger (Monaco Motors)

OK guys, I had to cheat and look this up in a magazine, because it was driving me nuts. The Phase III is indeed Patrick Smith, as already stated. The red E49 is Rodger Anderson according to the race reports from this event.

Pat Smith had a Bulk fertilzer Spreading Business in Kumeu at that time ,he later merged with another firm doing the same sort of thing and moved to Waimaulu,I think the company is still active in lower Northland