Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Ohlsen - car builder. what happened to the two Katipo's ?

John Ohlsen - car builder. what happened to the two Katipo's ?

I believe the first car John was built using a Matich , chassis hense the driver sitting offset, and the second was scratch built with the help from Mark Petch (MJ Racing.)
    Would be neat to see them back on the track again.

Robbie Booth owned one in 1975 and was then raced by Russell Greer

I have read in Vercoe's book that in 1981 a M.Morrison owned one and then don't know where it went after that?

Not sure which car this was thou?

Anyone help?

Not just the Katipo cars, how about expanding this to a John Ohlsen thread, a few of you must have known John through the years. I knew him when I was a school boy and John was involved with Hot Rodding with the Ferabends, etc and his involvement with Epsom Stockcars. I probably only saw him a couple of times after his return to NZ in the seventies though.
    There must be lots of stories out there.

Would love to get more info on the Katipo F5000. Anyone have any photos of this car?

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Would love to get more info on the Katipo F5000. Anyone have any photos of this car?
    Hi Steve, post number 6 in the Hillclimb Thread has a picture of Dennis Phillips in the one and a half seater Katipo.

Copyright Mike Feisst , cheers Mike
    The second Katipo driven by Robbie Francevic at Puke 1971Name:  Robbie_Francevic_Katipo_Pukekohe_Jan_71.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  43.4 KB

# 10 car built on the matich chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Some time ago I did some research on this car when Robbie Booth ran it as the Michigan special,you may have to ask David Mc kindly if he will share some of it with you as it was for his use

There are a few pages on John Ohlsen and his building of the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe in forum member David Manton's new book, Enzo Ferrari's Secret War...

Semi-Pro Racer
    My understanding is that there was only one Katipo
    As stated, it was built as an F5000 car on a Matich sportscar base, as in Javman's first Mike Feisst photo
    It was then fitted with a Gemco sportscar body and offered for sale as a “McLaren replica”
    It returned to the circuits, again as a single-seater, with Robbie Booth in 1975/76, but now called a Matich, as it was when Dennis Phillips and later Russell Greer used it for hillclimbing

Journeyman Racer
    What a trick looking car!

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    My understanding is that there was only one Katipo
    As stated, it was built as an F5000 car on a Matich sportscar base, as in Javman's first Mike Feisst photo
    It was then fitted with a Gemco sportscar body and offered for sale as a “McLaren replica”
    It returned to the circuits, again as a single-seater, with Robbie Booth in 1975/76, but now called a Matich, as it was when Dennis Phillips and later Russell Greer used it for hillclimbing
    Thanks for that David , great to have your input , cheers.

Hi David,
    Do you know which and what Matich sportscar chassis was used to build the original car?

regards
    Craig

Semi-Pro Racer
    No, never figured it out, and Australian Matich experts never seem to mention it

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    No, never figured it out, and Australian Matich experts never seem to mention it
    I scratched my head a bit about this one ,somebody told me it was a SR3,some one else said well Bob Britton built the chassis,so possibly it was just a chassis and components that was supplied ,some one else told me it was a Renmax,maybe someone should ask Mark Petch

Think you will find that it was a SR4 chassis that may have been built by Bob Britton, seem to remember Robbie running it at Timaru at what may have been its first outing as the Katipo

OK Carl, I never followed it that closely at that stage ,but my informant who obviously could be wrong said it was a Britton built chassis ,the SR4 was built by Henry Nehrybecki ? I'll do a bit more digging over the week end
    Last edited by bob homewood; 08-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    seem to remember Robbie running it at Timaru at what may have been its first outing as the Katipo
    First race, but not first outing. It had practised at Wigram

Well, while we are waiting for more information on the Katipo (I hope there is lots more to come) here is few photos of John Ohlsen's life before he went off to build the Cobra Daytona Coupe and other things.

This is John's second hot rod, he was part of the Ellerslie/Oranga/Greenlane group of 1950s Hot Rodders many of whom went on to much greater automobile fame.

From 1956 to 1958 John raced this stockcar at the famed Epsom track along with some of his Hot Rodding mates and the likes of Johnny Riley, Red Dawson, Garth Souness, Glen Jones and all.

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    OK Carl, I never followed it that closely at that stage ,but my informant who obviously could be wrong said it was a Britton built chassis ,the SR4 was built by Henry Nehrybecki ? I'll do a bit more digging over the week end
    Well I have checked with Rory a contact of mine in Oz ,who was pretty close to what was going on in the Maitch days and this is what he says
    Pretty sure it was an SR4 built base...there was 3 or 4 done off memory...Frank wanted to do a McLaren and sell his cars...there is a SR4 here for sale in the Oily Rag..Historic magazine with a BDA Twin Cam in it...never followed where the built chassis' went but obviously someone threw a BDA in one...Henry went to Europe off memory and Bob B was involved in finishing some bits off (Frank liked Bob and Gary Cooper)..so thats where he fits I think and probably added some Rennmax influences i would say.....all a bit vague but pretty close to the right stuff I think..

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Well, while we are waiting for more information on the Katipo (I hope there is lots more to come) here is few photos of John Ohlsen's life before he went off to build the Cobra Daytona Coupe and other things.

This is John's second hot rod, he was part of the Ellerslie/Oranga/Greenlane group of 1950s Hot Rodders many of whom went on to much greater automobile fame.

From 1956 to 1958 John raced this stockcar at the famed Epsom track along with some of his Hot Rodding mates and the likes of Johnny Riley, Red Dawson, Garth Souness, Glen Jones and all.

Gavin, neat photos. Do you have any more info on the hot rod?

Not much, I am going to interview an old Stockcar driver in the next few weeks, and copy his photo albums. He was involved in the Ellerslie Hot Rod scene along with Johnny, so I will try and find out some more on those early days and the Hot Rod.