Thread: Ralph Watson Exhibit at Wanaka

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journeyman Racer
    Good to see this will be seen by the public for a long while yet. so much of NZs early racing history has been lost or misplaced over the years.I am proud to have the original 'Boot' panel from the Lycoming displayed on the wall in my dining room in Waimate since I acquired it from Ralph Smiths son Sam a few years ago as it makes a perfect addition to my extensive early motor racing book collection. I made a display board to mount it to and it certainly makes a cool talking point.Name:  IMG_20190917_180758.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  17.2 KBName:  IMG_20200522_162722.jpg
Size:  172.0 KBName:  IMG_20200522_172509 (2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  172.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
    Good to see this will be seen by the public for a long while yet. so much of NZs early racing history has been lost or misplaced over the years.I am proud to have the original 'Boot' panel from the Lycoming displayed on the wall in my dining room in Waimate since I acquired it from Ralph Smiths son Sam a few years ago as it makes a perfect addition to my extensive early motor racing book collection. I made a display board to mount it to and it certainly makes a cool talking point.Name:  IMG_20190917_180758.jpg
Size:  17.2 KBName:  IMG_20200522_162722.jpg
Size:  172.0 KBName:  IMG_20200522_172509 (2).jpg
Views: 404
Size:  172.1 KB
    Wow, that is neat! What a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing.

Some will be aware that the owner of the museum and cafe complex, sadly passed away not long ago. Therefore it is well to again point out that the security of the Watson artefacts is in no doubt.

The formation of a trust was considered, but such an arrangement often leads to conflicting ideas among trustees and very bad management. Therefore I decided to grant legal title to the memorabilia, including the Rotary aero engine, to Ralph Smith, owner of the Lycoming Special. His son Sam has like interests, so that all is in good faithful hands with their future assured.

Ralph Smith often leaves the Lycoming at the museum as part of the display and is well placed to keep an eye on things. He is also well qualified to deal the commercial aspects involved.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 08-19-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Addition

Sad, sad news.

I have just recently become aware that Ralph Smith is suffering from terminal cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Sad, sad news.

I have just recently become aware that Ralph Smith is suffering from terminal cancer.
    Indeed sad, but a little belated Trevor as Ralph has passed away.
    Rip Ralph.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 11-19-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Indeed sad, but a little elated Trevor as Ralph has passed away.
    Rip Ralph.
    I received an email from Ralph 4/11/22 to which I replied and had been concerned due to the lack of response. However, I certainly did not anticipate such a sudden outcome. How did you become aware of the bad news?