Thread: Ralph Watson Exhibit at Wanaka

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It is a great pity that the unpainted alloy body of the Lycoming Special became polished. Sadly, the car has lost its original practical characteristics.

As intended, the car should have a mat finish as do many aircraft. The intensly practical, late Ralph Watson would be horrified, particularly in consideration of the reflection affecting the drivers vision. What us more, the added red painted imbelishment was not in accordance with his taste. In the words of our day, the car has become tarted up. LOL As his friend, I remain annoyed. RIP.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-04-2023 at 01:01 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Hi Trevor I understand your point of view looking at older photos of the car from before the 1980s rebuild the matt finish suited it well but towards the end of its first life it was getting a little trashed like most of the cars of that era.
    I have the original boot lid from the first build of the car on my dining room wall that I have only cleaned enough to get rid of the damage done from sitting under a hedge for many years I have resisted the urge to polish it up or redo the original paint that is a more muted red than what the car wears now although that could just be 40 plus years of age.
    Ralph Smith did a wonderful job of bringing the car back to life and the new panels and polish put his mark on the car so really the polish can be seen as a trademark of its new life. Name:  IMG_20230316_135734.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  52.6 KB

The red paint is not "original". LOL

I agree that sadly the car now carries a trademark of its new life. However I have not intended to express a personal point of view and am certain that I have correctly outlined the objectives and thought processes in the mind of my late dear friend and remain unhappy with the current incorrect presentation of his work.

N.B. In no way do I discredit the efforts of the late Ralph Smith, having several times in writing, glowingly reported his dedication.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-05-2023 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo.