Thread: Ralph Watson Exhibit at Wanaka

Ralph Watson Exhibit at Wanaka

A replica of the late Ralph Watson’s workshop, together with his absolutely self deigned rotary aero engine, which was completely built from raw materials, has been very well displayed at warbirds and Wheels Museum in Wanaka for the past five years. Unfortunately ownership, of these artefacts was divided, as is detailed in the book “Ralph Watson Special Engineer Supplementary Edition. The rotary engine, lathe and all items displayed, have now been logically gifted absolutely to Ralph Smith, who lives not far away from Wanaka in Cromwell.

As is well known and appreciated, Ralph Smith restored and has owned the Lycoming Special for many years and has taken it worldwide in order to compete in classic events. When it is not being driven at suitable events, Ralph often displays the Lycoming at at Warbirds and Wheels alongside the Watson exhibits, thus presenting a very complete picture as is illustrated here. Thankfully the aero engine and exhibits could not be in better hands.

Ralph Smith lives in not far from Wanaka and will be able to keep a personal eye on the exhibits. He hopes to demonstrate the rotary engine when suitable opportunities arise, e.g. at the regular Wanaka aeronautical displays. His son is also an active avid enthusiast, so that ongoing preservation of the artefacts in the long term can be foreseen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brilliant news, proper recognition at last.
    Well done to all involved, Trevor, Ralph, Alan Woolf and many others.

Fantastic news and well done to those involved.

Excellent News Indeed, Trevor and as mentioned thanks to you, Ralph Smith and my Old neighbour Allan Woolf.

Now we await progress -with some other of Ralph's [ the late Ralph Watson ] collection and memorabilia.

Journeyman Racer
    Good to see this will be seen by the public for a long while yet. so much of NZs early racing history has been lost or misplaced over the years.I am proud to have the original 'Boot' panel from the Lycoming displayed on the wall in my dining room in Waimate since I acquired it from Ralph Smiths son Sam a few years ago as it makes a perfect addition to my extensive early motor racing book collection. I made a display board to mount it to and it certainly makes a cool talking point.Name:  IMG_20190917_180758.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  17.2 KBName:  IMG_20200522_162722.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  172.0 KBName:  IMG_20200522_172509 (2).jpg
Views: 396
Size:  172.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
    Good to see this will be seen by the public for a long while yet. so much of NZs early racing history has been lost or misplaced over the years.I am proud to have the original 'Boot' panel from the Lycoming displayed on the wall in my dining room in Waimate since I acquired it from Ralph Smiths son Sam a few years ago as it makes a perfect addition to my extensive early motor racing book collection. I made a display board to mount it to and it certainly makes a cool talking point.Name:  IMG_20190917_180758.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  17.2 KBName:  IMG_20200522_162722.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  172.0 KBName:  IMG_20200522_172509 (2).jpg
Views: 396
Size:  172.1 KB
    Wow, that is neat! What a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing.

Some will be aware that the owner of the museum and cafe complex, sadly passed away not long ago. Therefore it is well to again point out that the security of the Watson artefacts is in no doubt.

The formation of a trust was considered, but such an arrangement often leads to conflicting ideas among trustees and very bad management. Therefore I decided to grant legal title to the memorabilia, including the Rotary aero engine, to Ralph Smith, owner of the Lycoming Special. His son Sam has like interests, so that all is in good faithful hands with their future assured.

Ralph Smith often leaves the Lycoming at the museum as part of the display and is well placed to keep an eye on things. He is also well qualified to deal the commercial aspects involved.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 08-19-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Addition

Sad, sad news.

I have just recently become aware that Ralph Smith is suffering from terminal cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Sad, sad news.

I have just recently become aware that Ralph Smith is suffering from terminal cancer.
    Indeed sad, but a little belated Trevor as Ralph has passed away.
    Rip Ralph.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 11-19-2022 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Indeed sad, but a little elated Trevor as Ralph has passed away.
    Rip Ralph.
    I received an email from Ralph 4/11/22 to which I replied and had been concerned due to the lack of response. However, I certainly did not anticipate such a sudden outcome. How did you become aware of the bad news?

Hi Trevor, on that horrible social media platform was a tribute to Ralph. Alan Dick had posted it. It was also in local papers. The post of his passing was on the 14th, although I have no knowledge of the actual date.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 11-19-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Hi Trevor, on that horrible social media platform was a tribute to Ralph. Alan Dick had posted it. It was also in local papers. The post of his passing was on the 14th, although I have no knowledge of the actual date.
    Ralph Smith was a gentleman of the first order, hence me entrusting him with the Ralph Watson artifacts. He was in the throws of arranging a revised venue for their display in Wanaka, which I am sure will be carried forwards by his son Sam, as time ans the sad situation allows. Meantime I am sure that he will receive the sympathy of the vintage racing fraternity, who have lost a true stalwart. RIP.

Name:  4655ADA2-7B17-40DE-BCBB-14EB51DF9682.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  90.5 KB
    A “small “ tribute

Journeyman Racer
    some shots of his last race at the Waimate 50 Name:  _DSC0089.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  154.5 KBName:  _DSC0096.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  125.4 KBName:  _DSC0097.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  116.1 KBName:  _DSC0099.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  133.0 KBName:  _DSC0098.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  175.8 KB

It is a great pity that the unpainted alloy body of the Lycoming Special became polished. Sadly, the car has lost its original practical characteristics.

As intended, the car should have a mat finish as do many aircraft. The intensly practical, late Ralph Watson would be horrified, particularly in consideration of the reflection affecting the drivers vision. What us more, the added red painted imbelishment was not in accordance with his taste. In the words of our day, the car has become tarted up. LOL As his friend, I remain annoyed. RIP.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-04-2023 at 01:01 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Hi Trevor I understand your point of view looking at older photos of the car from before the 1980s rebuild the matt finish suited it well but towards the end of its first life it was getting a little trashed like most of the cars of that era.
    I have the original boot lid from the first build of the car on my dining room wall that I have only cleaned enough to get rid of the damage done from sitting under a hedge for many years I have resisted the urge to polish it up or redo the original paint that is a more muted red than what the car wears now although that could just be 40 plus years of age.
    Ralph Smith did a wonderful job of bringing the car back to life and the new panels and polish put his mark on the car so really the polish can be seen as a trademark of its new life. Name:  IMG_20230316_135734.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  52.6 KB

The red paint is not "original". LOL

I agree that sadly the car now carries a trademark of its new life. However I have not intended to express a personal point of view and am certain that I have correctly outlined the objectives and thought processes in the mind of my late dear friend and remain unhappy with the current incorrect presentation of his work.

N.B. In no way do I discredit the efforts of the late Ralph Smith, having several times in writing, glowingly reported his dedication.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-05-2023 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Typo.