Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Etceterini; Small Italian race cars built from 1937 to 1965

Found it -RENAULT 750 SPORT 1954 on an old racing car in rally Mille Miglia 2018 the famous italian historical race 1927-1957.

Name:  Renault.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  77.3 KB

Ray Bell got it right with the first reply.
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 01-07-2020 at 09:08 AM.

As usual Milan got it first!

As usual Milan got it first! I have been trying, and found it as a one off special.
    Placed 231 #324 MARANI Carlo I GIROLAMI Gianandrea I RENAULT 750 SPORT 1954 3
    Last edited by Oldfart; 01-07-2020 at 07:25 PM.

World Champion
    Thanks Milan and Rhys,
    That was a good challenge and being a one off special made it even tougher.
    Well done.
    Now I can move on with my life, such as preparing to go to Taupo, NZ, later next week.
    Cheers,
    Ken H
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-07-2020 at 09:09 PM.

So where did the brake drums come from?

There's still digging to be done...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

Indeed Yes, thanks to Ken, Milan Ray and Rhys and maybe even me .. he he !!

World Champion
    Ray,
    This is how the brakes were described for a 1954 Stanguellini 750 Sport which is probably very similar to the 1954 Renault 750 Sport.

"Al-Fin drum brakes were placed on all four corners and provided adequate stopping power for the 12-inch Borrani wire wheels."
    Attachment 64703

Read on; https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/...nazionale.aspx

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/133754...r-replacement/

(Ken H )

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post

Having had Fiat 1100 drums in my possession I would suspect those being on the front, they are lovely large, finned alloy ones. The rears on this car look smaller than the Fiat 1100 (same diameter front and back).
    Remember special builders don't like to spend money, or at least didn't back a few years. Borrani wheels weren't expensive (well not too much). Of course, we don't know how original this is, may have been "improved" in recent times.

It probably was, of course, harder to graft Fiat 1100 drums onto the swing axles...

Or maybe an earlier Fiat 1100 drum was used or perhaps drums from another Fiat. I'm well aware that the 1100 drums were Alluminium with steel liners, I have also seen them up close. Malcolm Smith and I once started to build a car using a Fiat 1100 front suspension.

World Champion
    Another one-off special was the 1954 Giaur Record Car with a Giannini G2 Supercharged DOHC Engine.
    Designed and built by Berardo Taraschi for driver Jean Grusset to set record speeds for the 750cc class at the time.
    In recent years it has been beautifully restored.
    I could not find any information on the brakes, perhaps it didn't have any !
    Name:  Giaur_750_Record_11.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  Giaur%20750%20Record%201954-3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  giaurrecordcar.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  88.2 KB
    Undated ad.

Name:  giaur3.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  giaur6.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  118.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 01-09-2020 at 12:15 AM.

World Champion
    This site has a wonderful photo gallery and video of the above car and also check the workmanship of the interior etc.

https://www.historicautopro.com/1954-giaur-750-record-

A 1954 photo of this Etceterini Special.
    Name:  Giaur 750 Record 1954-2.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  65.0 KB

(Ken H)

Not Italian - just across the border though.

There is an online Email /Magazine called " Veloce "- produced by a Peter Vack which I get weekly
    The 31st March issue is full of things Italian, Etcetrini, Bandini ALFA and the foreigner Gordini - the French version of Carlo Abarth, by all accounts or vice versa Carlo of Amedee ..

A montage of Gordini - not sure how that goes in plural remember the Lotus Loti story ;

Name:  Cars #811 Gordini montage - Veloce Peter Vack link.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  138.1 KB

If any want the link to the Email - let me know - you can join up - get the basic post for free but can subscribe for in depth articles

A Bandini - just to keep it Italian
    The note with the photo
    " Thirteen years ago, we wrote a little story on the little ones at an SCCA race at Atterbury, complete with photos from the collection of Bandini racer Clair Reuter. Sandy McArthur was there too, circa 1954. "

Name:  Cars #812 Bandini montage - Veloce Peter Vack link.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  84.1 KB

OK, I know it's not Italian, sorry Ken, but as it's been niggling at me the posts around #81, have a look at this page.
    http://www.spiritracerclub.org/les-b...-4-cv-renault/

Etceterini, Gordini Etc, etc, etc

Thought the Ray Green photos ERC collection in the last day or so were familiar Gordini - which started on this thread after the posting of the Renault Spyder / Roadster.

There was this montage from Peter Vack of Veloce and now ERC's photos of a couple of the same cars

Name:  Gordini #15 Gordini montage - Veloce Peter Vack link (1).jpg
Views: 510
Size:  138.1 KB

ERC's pics.

Sports Car
    Name:  Gordini #11 Ray Green 212_0511_106 Gordini.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  Gordini #12 Ray Green 216_0909_583 Gordini.JPG
Views: 565
Size:  95.9 KB

Racing car -single seater !
    Name:  Gordini #13 Ray Green 212_0513_102 Gordini.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  103.1 KB

Ken H,hope you are well on the way to recovery after the Op.. and Lockdown.
    Cheers
    Bringing the thread to the top [ briefly ? ]!!

One or two of those are from Monaco Historique...

I have several Gordini pics from there, but they definitely don't qualify as 'etceterini' as they're bigger cars.

For my Gordini pics at Monaco:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ml#post3467911

And for my Gordini pics from the Schlumpf collection:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ml#post3480610

and...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ml#post3480300

A couple of posts separate those.

The Schlumpf brothers bought about 15 Gordinis left over from the early racing days at some time in the sixties.

Etceterini - Etcetera Etcetera ...a bit more - The PBX.

" PBX: The American Etceterini Goes Racing "

" PBX: The American Etceterini

Sean Smith documents the story of Candy Poole, who created what was perhaps the most successful H Modified SCCA race car of the 1950s. Poole's son provides the photos as Part 1 looks at the creation of this fantastic machine. "

The Story and some of the Poole collection photos - as shown on the Peter Vack - Veloce - newsfeed that Ken H knows about.

The Story ;
    " By Sean Smith

The PBX was also punching above its class. Some of its victories were against cars with twice the displacement. Candy was an excellent driver, but he was also a great tactician. He didn’t just arrive and drive. When he went to a track, he came with multiple differentials with ratios from 6.0 to 4.875. He would match them with multiple sets of wheels 12”, 13”, 14” right up to 15”, depending on the length and grade of the course. Candy also added a jack to the front springs, allowing him to dial more spring tension and dial it out as needed. The same went for the rear. The differential acted as an anti-roll bar, and depending on how he adjusted the radius arms and upper control arms, he could get more stiffness in the rear. That way, he could totally control the front and rear handling dynamic and make the car completely neutral.

His shop also had a dyno and used it to check horsepower between events. He also was constantly testing new carburetor, manifold and exhaust setups that raised the Crosley’s output from 32 HP of the 1952 racing Hot Shot to a snarling 65 HP a few years later, doubling the output. This was pretty much unheard of in amateur racing of the 50s. Candy was constantly endeavoring to optimize and refine the racer. He brought a level of professionalism to the sport that predated Group 44 and Roger Penske.

Candy was a force to be reckoned with in the Northeast racing community of the 1950s. His mechanical acumen and driving ability made him a constant front-runner. He was a true competitor, but he had no problem maintaining other people’s race cars, and he happily coached and tutored drivers to make them more competitive and safer behind the wheel. He was very open with his knowledge but kept a few secrets to give himself an edge. Candy knew his car so intimately that they became one on the track.

Candy’s son Larry remembers a race at Thompson where Max Hoffman brought a specially imported Porsche Spyder to the track to run in class G, showcasing it to the racing community. He had ace race driver John Fitch behind the wheel to really show what the German factory car could do and how it would decimate all comers. For the entire race, Candy was on Fitch’s tail, and if he could have gotten around, he more than likely would have driven away from him. It took all of John’s racing ability to stay in front of the home-built special. It was such an embarrassment to Hoffman they loaded the car on the transport and left as quickly as possible. Candy felt if they had let him set the Porsche up for the track, he would never have gotten near it.

The only other car Candy raced other than the PBX was a Porsche 550. He was invited by Bob Davis, a fellow driver he met in the Bahamas during Speedweek, to co-drive at the 1955 12 hours of Sebring. They came in 11th overall. After a time, the partners at Pallotti & Poole were not agreeing on the time Candy spent on the race car. Candy was ahead of the curve with the ‘race on Sunday sell on Monday’ metric; his partner disagreed, and they went their separate ways. After that, Candy opened his own garage.

After a few years, he wasn’t doing anything with the car and wanted it to go to a good home. Candy sold the PBX to long-time friend J.D. Iglehart in the late ‘70s without an engine. JD restored it and dropped in a rare 750cc Coventry Climax engine. From there, it was campaigned in the Vintage Sports Car Club of America by J.D.’s stepson Jeb Ebbott. Jeb joined the club at 18 years of age and started racing the car at 23. He bought the car from JD in 1983. Jeb campaigned the car at Lime Rock, Circuit Mont-Tremblant, and Summit Point, all of the reasonably short tracks. Longer courses, he felt, were too much on the car.

Jeb’s memory of the car is that it was a dream to drive. It drifted so nicely and was so controllable (even when sideways) that you could flick it anywhere you wanted at any time. It was so well-balanced and neutral. In its class at Lime Rock, nothing could touch it. It wasn’t all that fast in a straight line, but it was so much quicker than anything else in the turns, so it easily took on bigger, more powerful cars. Jeb found it easier to drive than his stepfather’s OSCAS. It was lighter and more agile. Jeb campaigned the PBX for many years up to the 2000s, and then it went away.

In early 2020, Orrie Simko got a tip from VSCCA member Keith Goring about the whereabouts of the PBX. It was tucked in a corner of GMT Racing in Newtown, CT. It had a thick layer of dust covering it, but it was complete. Jeb was ready to sell it, and Orrie was the man to get it done. The first thing Orrie did when he saw the PBX was to get to the back of the car to see if it still carried its original Connecticut License plate, XPB. It did.

The PBX was sent to Vintage Machine Works in Bethel, CT, to be brought back to life by brothers Mark and Scott Lefferts. They got it running, and later, in 2020, Orrie took it to Lime Rock Park for the VSCCA Fall Finale to show it with other cars he had available. Jeb came to see the car and drove it around. It was breaking up at 4000 rpm, so he asked the brothers to do a bit more work. The car was now running well and ready for a new home. People were nibbling around the car but not making a commitment. Orrie had one very interested client who was way too tall and couldn’t fit in the damn thing. This became an obstacle for several prospective buyers.

Then, like Cinderella and the glass slipper, the right person who was the perfect fit came along. " More to come I presume about the car in the 2020's

A lot of story guys - lets get to the pictures.

The car still unpainted with the Owner / Builder at an early event with the Connecticut Plate XPB

Name:  Etceterini #016 PBX unpainted #44 plate Ct XPB with Candy Poole 177 kb Poole Collection.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  177.1 KB

Race Number #74 and class H appear in most photos.
    Mt Equinox Hill Climb
    Name:  Etceterini #017 PBX Candy Poole #74 -Mt.-Equinox 179 kb Poole Collection.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  179.3 KB

SCCA Nationals at Beverly Ma in 1955

Name:  Etceterini #018 PBX 1955 SCCA Nationals Beverly MA #74 Candy-and wife- 175 kb Greg Rickes.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  175.1 KB

Candy Poole being chased by a future owner in his 750 Osca - another small capacity Italian racer.

Name:  Etceterini #019 PBX Candy Poole #74 chased by J D Inglehart 750 Osca 175 kb colln unknown .jpg
Views: 77
Size:  175.6 KB

At Brynfan Tyddan - presume either getting ready to race or after an event.

Name:  Etceterini #020 PBX Brynfan Tyddyn Vintage-PBX12- #74 176 kb Old York Road Collection .jpg
Views: 75
Size:  176.5 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 01-17-2024 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Photos attached ###47

World Champion
    I'm digging this 1954 Stanguellini. Photos by JoeyM
    Attached Images Attached Images