Hi,

Out of hiding again, back from Aus and 42 degrees. People living there are all going to heaven, they have hell on earth.

Yes it is my Gordini in the NZ Autocar, bought it in 1980 when it was 10 years old and still have it. I can tell a lot about the Renaults, however they weren't very common in NZ, none of the Froggies are. Always thought it could be because of the Rainbow Warrior?

Here is just an Appetiser.

The Gordinis where real giant killers in South Africa mainly due to a very clever man and driver called Scamp Porter. For the SA guys and Renault fans he was like a Caroll Shelby was for Ford. Not only Sprint races but Enduros as well. Tops in the Enduro results was probably in the 1969 Rand Daily Mail 9 hour race. Won by David Piper and Richard Attwood in a Porsche 917, then Mike D'Udy in a Lola T70, then a German team in another Porsche 908 and in 4th place Scamp Porter and Geoff Mortimer in a Renault Gordini. That is the overall results. They were helped by a characteristic Highveld thunder storm late in the afternoon and it was like some fiction movie watching the Gordini flying past the aquaplaning Porsches, Mirage Ford, Chevron, Lola T70 etc. and unlapping itself.

This thread will be a long one if we go on about the Gordinis in SA. Maybe I should start a another post about that if there is interest in it.

Regards, Frans.